DISH Makes TV Easy with New Hopper Plus™

My tech actually updated my Hopper 3 with the newest software from a usb thumb drive he had before he did anything else. That update took about 35 minutes.
That's how we do it but the software for the plus downloads from your internet. I actually do my thumb drive updates at home, keeping 2 of each Hopper updated on my van for faster installs.
No tech should ever leave a job unfinished. There have been a lot of reports, I had one, too, of bad Pluses out of the box. Mine was the Google logo then black screen as posted above

Tech left at 5:00 both wireless 4K joeys working but hopper plus still trying to download. Called back at 7:00 to check and still stuck in trying to download. Told me to unplug and reset but now just get google logo then black screen
Still not working this morning, just a black screen signal. In the process of another unplug for 10 min and try again.

Still not working this morning, just a black screen signal. In the process of another unplug for 10 min and try again.
Have you tried unplugging both the Hopper 3 and Hopper Plus for about 20 minutes? Also you might try letting the Hopper 3 go back to it's original settings by unplugging the Hopper Plus from the Hopper 3 (this takes about 15 - 20 minutes with the Hopper 3 on). Then plug the Hopper Plus back into the Hopper 3 and see if it does it's thing.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Have you tried unplugging both the Hopper 3 and Hopper Plus for about 20 minutes? Also you might try letting the Hopper 3 go back to it's original settings by unplugging the Hopper Plus from the Hopper 3 (this takes about 15 - 20 minutes with the Hopper 3 on). Then plug the Hopper Plus back into the Hopper 3 and see if it does it's thing.
Yep did all that and watched some tv for about an hour with hdmi plugged back into hopper, then tried the plus again. No go. I am leaning towards keeping the new wireless Joey 4’s since they work great and get rid of the hopper plus since its on a newer OLED tv with all the smart features anyway.

Yep did all that and watched some tv for about an hour with hdmi plugged back into hopper, then tried the plus again. No go. I am leaning towards keeping the new wireless Joey 4’s since they work great and get rid of the hopper plus since its on a newer OLED tv with all the smart features anyway.

Have you had any issues with the Joey 4’s getting locked into HDR like some others have reported?

So do you think that would be an issue on a Joey 4 even if you didn’t have the Hopper+? Because I’m not completely sold on adding the + but I definitely want to upgrade my Joey’s.
Yes the issue remains on each unit because Android TV is loaded on each unit. There is an issue somewhere between Dish and Android TV with the upscaling of SD and HD signals. Right now I have eliminated the Hopper Plus on my main TV because of this issue but it still remains on my Joey 4s. BTW I am not sure if Dish will allow you to get the Joey 4s without getting the Hopper Plus right now. Heck they aren't even aware that they even work without it.

Yes the issue remains on each unit because Android TV is loaded on each unit. There is an issue somewhere between Dish and Android TV with the upscaling of SD and HD signals. Right now I have eliminated the Hopper Plus on my main TV because of this issue but it still remains on my Joey 4s. BTW I am not sure if Dish will allow you to get the Joey 4s without getting the Hopper Plus right now. Heck they aren't even aware that they even work without it.
How quick did your Hopper recover when you removed the Hopper+?

Have you had any issues with the Joey 4’s getting locked into HDR like some others have reported?
HDR being on all the time is normal on the Hopper+ and Joey 4s right now, unfortunately. Maybe that will change at some point, but who knows.

For the poster above who asked if that was a bad thing, it probably depends on your TV. I know my Samsung TVs don't like devices that have HDR on all the time. Every time I turn on one of my TVs with the input set to a device with HDR on fulltime, the picture will be super washed out. Think bright reds coming out as a light peach shade instead, and so on. Changing inputs to something else and back will restore proper colors until the TV is turned off again. It's a bit of a pain, so for things like Firesticks that have the option to set HDR to on-demand, I always set it that way. The new Dish boxes not having that option for HDR is disappointing.

Which is exactly how it's supposed to work. I can't believe Dish allowed these thing to be released like this. There is no way this is acceptable. I have spent a lot of time calibrating my TVs with proper equipment for my viewing areas and to have the ability to use those Picture modes unavailable is crazy. I was watching football last night on NBC and the HDR up-converted picture looked awful!
conisdering I already question quality of or we resolutions Dish use some channels have SDR auto coverted to HDR isnt gona it any favors as it is the H3 and and joey and 4k joey actual output 1080i and i can see side effect of thing being output the way. most time i can ignore it some time i cant, which make question resolution the feeds actual are more when effect it is worse