Dish MPEG-4 411 Outputs

BrettTRay

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
'Bama
Could anyone tell me what all outputs the 411 HD receiver has? Its kind of hard to tell by looking at the pictures. Does anyone know what the USB output/input is for? Thanks Guys

RF Out, Composite Out, Component Out, S-video Out, Tos-link(optical) out, HDMI Out

The USB port is for their pocket dish and anything else they plan to use the usb port for (like external hardrives for example)

Attachments

• 411.JPG
    411.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 517
BFG said:
RF Out, Composite Out, Component Out, S-video Out, Tos-link(optical) out, HDMI Out

The USB port is for their pocket dish and anything else they plan to use the usb port for (like external hardrives for example)

Can it output a 16X9 anamorphic image? If so out of which port?

I doubt it.

The easiest thing dish could add is a "Compress" zoom mode, much like the voom boxes have. That would give you the full 16x9 compressed in a 4:3 window, than you just uncompress it when you use the wide setting of a 16x9 TV. The only down side to this method is that on 4x3 TVs you'd have a compressed 16x9 picture instead of a letterbox

BFG said:
I doubt it.

The easiest thing dish could add is a "Compress" zoom mode, much like the voom boxes have. That would give you the full 16x9 compressed in a 4:3 window, than you just uncompress it when you use the wide setting of a 16x9 TV. The only down side to this method is that on 4x3 TVs you'd have a compressed 16x9 picture instead of a letterbox

Sounds good. My purpose would be do continue to make anamorphic DVD's like I have been doing with the 921 using the S-video out, 480i and 16x9 setting.

I didn't see a UHF remote antenna connection. Is it possible that there is not an RF output or is Dish doing something else for the UHF remote reception? I can't believe Dish would make a receiver without a UHF remote.

rocatman said:
I didn't see a UHF remote antenna connection. Is it possible that there is not an RF output or is Dish doing something else for the UHF remote reception? I can't believe Dish would make a receiver without a UHF remote.

Why is that so hard to believe? With the way E* does things anyway?

Well after thinking about it two thoughts on why dish has no uhf remote for the 411 if it ever does come out.

#1 it is not a dual tuner.

#2 Say I'm a customer that does not care that I have TWO(2) receivers. One(1) receiver will work just fine for me one in the living room and one in my bed room if I can backfeed and have a uhf remote, otherwise damnit ok give me two receivers. I know you can buy remote extenders, but everybody don't.

Just my thoughts.

ke4est said:
Why is that so hard to believe? With the way E* does things anyway?

Well I do know for a long while, none of the DirecTV receivers had UHF remotes. A few of Dish's lower end receivers only have IR capability. I do know that more of the DirecTV receivers only have IR capability.

BFG said:

I don't think there's any way to use Pocket Dish on a box without a hard drive.

I guess they could implement a real-time transfer, but that's never been mentioned.

David_Levin said:
I don't think there's any way to use Pocket Dish on a box without a hard drive.

I guess they could implement a real-time transfer, but that's never been mentioned.

Ah good point. I wasn't thinking that this wasn't in DVR. So now I dunno what else they'd use the usb for

I won't like it if it doesn't have a UHF remote. I have everything hidden away under the stairs, plus I rf-modulate the output to a bedroom TV. I'm not suprised though, it probably costs a couple bucks extra to build and the majority of users won't need UHF.

BFG said:

It's my understanding that E* has no intention of ever activating the USB ports on their receivers, despite their continuing to tout the connection as a featured benefit. Makes no sense at all, frankly...but then again, this is E* we're talking about here. :deadhorse

BrettTRay said:
Could anyone tell me what all outputs the 411 HD receiver has? Its kind of hard to tell by looking at the pictures. Does anyone know what the USB output/input is for? Thanks Guys
Can anyone tell me where I can find information on the 411 or any other pending Dish MPEG-4 receivers? Links, photos, etc.? Dish's website and CSRs are mum on the subject. Thanks, folks! :)

BFG said:
As they should be mum.

Any info not from Dish is obviously un-official and should be read with a grain of salt ;)

But really the only topics we have about them are what they look like.
Thanks a lot for the info, BFG. And you're absolutely correct in that it's unofficial until they indicate otherwise. Based on my year+ worth of experience with them, however, I've often found that the right hand rarely knows what the left is doing over there. Time and again the CSRs have info that will actually conflict with each other! So I took a chance to see if they could shed any light on the subject. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt by assuming they were merely being mum...but the truth is, again based on my personal dealings, they probably didn't even know what the hell I was talking about. Thank goodness for forums, tho...it's nice to get sneak peaks of upcoming technology. So thanks again for your help. :bow

rocatman said:

The display at CEDIA said it was IR only.

There is talk that the 411 will be the new base reciever. With more and more people switching to HD capable sets over the next few years, it makes sense to mass produce a stripped down MPEG-4 HD machine as cheaply as possible. Even without an HD set, giving everyone an HD reciever makes sense so they can switch off the SD-MPEG-2 LILs faster.No UHF may have been one of the cost cutting measures.

Down the road, they'll start putting out MPEG-4 machines with more features. Right now they need a box that can replace all the old recievers. Somewhere out there, there's a DISH 1000 that's going to be replaced with a 411.

M Sparks said:
Somewhere out there, there's a DISH 1000 that's going to be replaced with a 411.
Hmmm. El crappo (not you, M.S. - keep reading).

We now have two units that can be called "1000" - a receiver and a Dish.

We probably need to be careful when there's a chance of confusion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)