Dish named HD provider for Democratic Convention

Unfortunately, I don't think anything will really change until and if the House and Senate have term limits imposed. Make them go home and live under the laws they pass. Give a chance for new ideas, make it public service instead of a career.

Unfortunately, I don't think anything will really change until and if the House and Senate have term limits imposed. Make them go home and live under the laws they pass. Give a chance for new ideas, make it public service instead of a career.
...And stop paying them. Virginia legislature meets for 45 days to get their work done since they don't get paid hansomely to bloviate, postulate, and obfuscate.

If the Republicans are smart, Arnold will be on stage all the time, as sort of a host (like the Oscars).

Sounds more like Jerry Lewis doing the telethon.

DISH NETWORK® NAMED OFFICIAL HIGH DEFINITION SATELLITE TELEVISION SERVICE PROVIDER FOR 2008 DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION

High Definition Feeds Bring Viewers Inside Convention

Dedicated Satellite Channel to Provide Gavel-to-Gavel Convention Coverage

DENVER – Continuing its efforts to bring communities across the country new and innovative ways to experience the Convention, the Democratic National Convention Committee (DNCC) today named Denver-based DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) as the Official High Definition Satellite Television Service Provider of the 2008 Democratic National Convention, to be held August 25-28 in Denver.

In that role, DISH Network will bring live satellite video feeds into the Convention hall from off-site locations across the country. DISH Network will also offer uninterrupted, unedited live satellite Convention coverage to approximately 13.79 million subscribers across country, available on DISH Network Ch. 211. In addition, DISH Network’s video feed will be broadcast in HD on television monitors throughout Convention venues and will be made available via satellite to television stations for downlink across the country and around the world.

“When we set out to make this Convention more inclusive and accessible than ever before, we wanted to do more than get our message out – we wanted to bring the voices of American people into the process, and DISH Network will help us to do just that,” said Brook Colangelo, Director of Technology for the DNCC. “Whether from inside the Convention hall, at watch parties in communities across the country, or from the comfort of their living room, DISH Network’s technology and services will enhance the Convention experience for everyone who’s tuning in.”

“As a leader in digital television and high definition television, DISH Network is proud to be the Official High Definition Satellite Television Service Provider of the 2008 Democratic National Convention, and excited to assist in hosting a successful Convention here in our hometown,” said Charlie Ergen, Chairman, CEO and President of DISH Network. “We are pleased to bring the many voices of Americans into the Convention live utilizing our industry-leading technology to provide end-to-end HD broadcasts.”

DISH Network, the nation’s third largest pay-TV provider, is headquartered in south Denver and contributed to bringing the DNCC to Colorado, as well as providing a variety of HD video and production services during the Convention, including industry-leading HD DVR technology.

So where is the HD? I can't find it!

Politics aside... In order to watch the HD feed of channel 211/9445 you'll need a dish pointing to 61.5 trans 16. The 211 SD channel broadcast is on satellite 110 trans 10.

Politics aside... In order to watch the HD feed of channel 211/9445 you'll need a dish pointing to 61.5 trans 16. The 211 SD channel broadcast is on satellite 110 trans 10.

I am looking at 211 in HD and I don't get 61.5. I get 110/119/129

OK, back to channel 205 for me. (Wish this was in HD)

This PQ has to be McCains fault somehow doesn't it?
If Obama gives you HD, then MCCain gives me SD?
Guess that's better than an STD from Madona.

Last edited:
I am looking at 211 in HD and I don't get 61.5. I get 110/119/129

OK, back to channel 205 for me. (Wish this was in HD)

This PQ has to be McCains fault somehow doesn't it?
If Obama gives you HD, then MCCain gives me SD?
Guess that's better than an STD from Modona.

Ditto on the "have it in HD, no 61.5".

I feel silly for blathering on about how good it looks, but now I'm wondering... what are the technical reasons for it? Is it a matter of fewer "links in the chain" to get the image to my TV? Something else entirely? (like bandwith that was mentioned?). Just curious....

I feel silly for blathering on about how good it looks, but now I'm wondering... what are the technical reasons for it? Is it a matter of fewer "links in the chain" to get the image to my TV? Something else entirely? (like bandwith that was mentioned?). Just curious....

Probably high quality equipment at the source in Denver, maybe recorded in MPEG-4 and passed directly to Dish receivers unmodified. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of content providers are still giving Dish (and everyone else) their content in MPEG-2, which Dish has to convert to MPEG-4 and then compress.

Maybe. :)

This would be a good question for the next tech chat, assuming Target allows it... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)