Dish Network Advice

BubahJim

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
Bluefield, VA
Hi Guys:

Hi I am a Dish customer and I am going to buy a HD Television for Christmas and I am considering upgrading my Dish network package to HD when I do it. What advice can you give me on it? Are you satified with it? Is there anything you did you would do differently? What is the extra cost can I expect? Thanks for the advice.

Bubah Jim

If you're getting a HD tv, you should by all means get HD programming. I have a 50" Panasonic, and really enjoy the picture quality in HD. I'm not very happy about SD picture quality with the tv though. That's probably because the HD looks so stunning that SD doesn't have a chance.
It'll be about $20 more a month.
Use the "Dish'n it UP" promotion if you can, and get the DVR. I've found the DVR indispensable. I can pause a program while we make dinner, and then resume. Or I can set programs to record and watch them at my convenience. (even jumps thru commercials in 30 sec intervals).
You won't regret it.

If you're getting a HD tv, you should by all means get HD programming. I have a 50" Panasonic, and really enjoy the picture quality in HD. I'm not very happy about SD picture quality with the tv though. That's probably because the HD looks so stunning that SD doesn't have a chance.
It'll be about $20 more a month.
Use the "Dish'n it UP" promotion if you can, and get the DVR. I've found the DVR indispensable. I can pause a program while we make dinner, and then resume. Or I can set programs to record and watch them at my convenience. (even jumps thru commercials in 30 sec intervals).
You won't regret it.

You also get the $20.00 HD fee rebated for 6 months.
I don't know how long this promotion will last. If it will expire before you get your new TV you could order HD upgrade before you it doed expire.
If you order before it you get your new TV the HD package will work with your old TV no HD ofcourse but the HD channels will look better than your SD channels, I know this because I did it.
Good luck

Well....no reason to have an HDTV if you don't have any to watch. Only option is one or both of:

1) Upgrade your Dish/DirectTV/Cable subscription to receive National HD & (possible) Local Network HD

and / or

2) Be close enough to the Local Networks + have an OTA Antenna + have an HDTV with a built in OTA digital tuner. In this case, you'll only get whatever HD is broadcasting in your area.

I grew up in Southern West Va. & went to college near Bluefield, but don't know what Local Station's you'd be looking for. I know Roanoke VA & Charleston WV are too far away for you. Maybe could receive Beckley WV stations. Anything south of you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)