DISH Network Launches (Then Removes) The Weather Cast

Status
Please reply by conversation.
In case dish does end up dropping the channel I wish to share my favorite weather channel moment.

As Hurricane Dolly approached the Texas Louisiana coast everyone still unsure where it would make land fall they showed the Louisiana coastline. Everything was boarded up and the place was a ghost town. They then switched to another reporter in Texas showing the beach. It seems the Texas residents placed signs all over the beach and were still out and about. The camera zoomed in on the signs and they said: "Come get us Dolly" "Hurry up B***h and get here already" "Bring your a*s to Texas Dolly"

The weather announcer then stated that people in Texas were very strange.
Yeah, I was excited about Dolly (my first direct hit hurricane). I rode the storm out on a 55 foot boat. We lost radio comms as the storm approached, but were still able to get radar images on cell phones for a bit longer. That thing seemed to sit on top of us forever!

Unfortunately we had to get underway just before sunset due to rising water topping the wharf where I was moored. We were in a turning basin where all the urban runoff collected... the current was smoking (8-9 knots easy). Between that and 40 knot winds with frequent gusts to 70, anchoring was no fun. I spent a very restless night and was most happy to have the winds die down just before dawn. Truly an unforgettable experience.

Not long after I was in Galveston (48 hours after Ike hit). I'm glad I didn't have to ride that one out!

I was reading somewhere that Weather Cast will be creating a second channel that covers each local area using the same spot beam technology that Dish uses to receive local channels. Anyone heard anything about this?

My 722 can't interact with the channel, in either HD or SD.
and they have tons of commercials.

I'll miss TWC because of some of the shows like "It could happen tomorrow". but I get all my weather from MSN weather on my desktop. Real time Doppler is only a click away.

Competition is good, if the Weather Channel is demanding unreasonable increases, dittos DISH . THey are trying to keep Tv cost down

umm Guys TWC never left Dish network
I am laughing at some of the people who are so upset that The Weather Channel is gone from DISH. You should see some of the PM's and emails I got over this.. people so upset that they lost something that has never gone away. :rolleyes:

I havent heard a thing, but normally in these things we don't when an agreement has been made.

The fact that both DISH and The Weather Channel have removed their takedown pages means a lot in the big scheme of things.

Again I still do not see the use for either of these channels if one has access to the internet.

During a weather emergency I will tune my local TV station and watch doppler weather radar to see where the tornados are, not wait to see if it is even mentioned on one of these channels.

I used to watch the weather channel when I wanted to know travel conditions. Now just far faster to consult the internet. I know my local weather conditions, it sits on my computer screen with a 5 day forecast all the time.

TWC not showing weather 24x7 and starting to show movies is probably them trying to adjust to the reality that the channel gets very low ratings because people do not want to watch a commercial every 3 minutes waiting for a forecast.

I am laughing at some of the people who are so upset that The Weather Channel is gone from DISH. You should see some of the PM's and emails I got over this.. people so upset that they lost something that has never gone away.

Well, actually it did go away last night for about 10 minutes, lol! But, more importantly, many people watch the Weather Channel regularly and were upset and disappointed when E* announced that they were dropping it at midnight. Here, we would have switched providers to get it back. To each their own. :)

Ed

Well, actually it did go away last night for about 10 minutes, lol! But, more importantly, many people watch the Weather Channel regularly and were upset and disappointed when E* announced that they were dropping it at midnight. Here, we would have switched providers to get it back. To each their own. :)

Ed
Over TWC? Seriously?

I have to say that not only are they doing more special programming, when they do talk about weather it seems it's shorter now to fit in more commercials.

To me, TWC really changed when Universal bought them. The mega-corporate suits have ruined it, just like Viacom ruined MTV.

At first I thought this would suck but with all the other sources to get weather, I may not miss it as much as I thought I would.

I am laughing at some of the people who are so upset that The Weather Channel is gone from DISH. You should see some of the PM's and emails I got over this.. people so upset that they lost something that has never gone away. :rolleyes:
Hey, when someone posts this,
Scott Greczkowski said:
Looks like they have dropped The Weather Channel for this channel.
what do you expect ?

Again I still do not see the use for either of these channels if one has access to the internet.
I always have to wonder when people comment about TWC and ask if they've ever seen or had TWC on cable ? It's different... It's USEFUL, actually ! On satellite, we literally NEVER tune to this channel for "weather". No offense, but for day-to-day weather, I don't care what the weather is in CA, TX, NY, FL, and so on. People want to know what the weather is in their area.

The interactive thing that TWC added was a very slight improvement, IMO, but I can check it on the internet quicker than waiting for it to load on satellite. Maybe if they'd use our broadband connection, if connected, it would be a bit better... Could also use higher-resolution graphics that way too.

People will just refer to this as "the weather channel", just like tissues are Kleenex...... as long as they get their forecasts

I tend to agree with that. People are always wanting TWC in their sub packs, but that's also because it's the only weather channel out there. I, too, used to want TWC when they were actually showing current weather...even if I had to wait for my location, but in the last couple of years it seem it was more of a hassle to see current weather on it because of all the other stuff they show.
Ghpr13:)

During a weather emergency I will tune my local TV station and watch doppler weather radar to see where the tornados are, not wait to see if it is even mentioned on one of these channels.

I used to watch the weather channel when I wanted to know travel conditions. Now just far faster to consult the internet. I know my local weather conditions, it sits on my computer screen with a 5 day forecast all the time.

TWC not showing weather 24x7 and starting to show movies is probably them trying to adjust to the reality that the channel gets very low ratings because people do not want to watch a commercial every 3 minutes waiting for a forecast.
not everybody has the internet (especially rural areas that dish serves well)

I think that there are certain channels that people consider to be part of any basic subscription tv package, such as Headline News, Fox News Channel, The Weather Channel, and a few others which each individual can fill in. If somehow the package does not contain all of those perceived 'basic' channels, then it is viewed as inferior or unacceptable.

That said, for us, after the 'basic' requirements are met, if a provider drops any other of that Top 120, 200, or 250 channels, it would most likely be considered a bump in the road. No big deal!

Ed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts