DISH Network Launches (Then Removes) The Weather Cast

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I always have to wonder when people comment about TWC and ask if they've ever seen or had TWC on cable ? It's different... It's USEFUL, actually ! On satellite, we literally NEVER tune to this channel for "weather". No offense, but for day-to-day weather, I don't care what the weather is in CA, TX, NY, FL, and so on. People want to know what the weather is in their area.

The interactive thing that TWC added was a very slight improvement, IMO, but I can check it on the internet quicker than waiting for it to load on satellite. Maybe if they'd use our broadband connection, if connected, it would be a bit better... Could also use higher-resolution graphics that way too.

As much as I hated my cable company, I will say TWC was more useful on cable than it is on Dish for me. Of course, I just found out about this interactive mode on TWC from reading this thread...I guess I never knew about it because I only had TWC in HD on my favorites list. Duh!
Ghpr13:)

Here is a blog with some background info and studio pictures from Weathercast (a few scrolls down). It is run by a meteorologist named Paul Douglas who started Weathernation two years ago.

A New National Weather Channel (originating from Excelsior) | StarTribune.com

Paul Douglas's real name is Douglas Paul Kruhoeffer. He has been a meteorologist in Minnesota and I believe Washington D.C, though most of his time was in Minnesota working for both the CBS and NBC affiliate.

Remember when weather casts first started having 3d images of storms, and they would fly you through them? That was "Paul Douglas's" software, called Earthwatch. He started the company that developed the software. In 2007 he sold another company he started, Digital Cyclone, to Garmin for around $50 million. I guess he found something else to invest his earnings in.

While the "eye candy" on TWC is sometimes enjoyable, I would much prefer to know what MY weather is going to be now, and the rest of the day. TWC doesn't do a good job of that at all.

Another Option: NOAA Weather Radio

I am surprised (sort of) that no one has brought up THIS option for weather: a NOAA Weather Radio. NOAA -- National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration -- is the parent agency of the National Weather Service. Aside from the cost of the radio - which varies dependent upon alerting (alarm) features or just a basic radio -- the service is FREE. Well, your tax dollars pay for it -- otherwise it's free. It provides LOCAL forecasts and current conditions, and is the FIRST to alert you of severe weather watches and warnings. If the radio is so equipped, the alert will trigger an audible alarm and/or turn on the radio's audio. A few posters mentioned "rural" issues where DISH Network is their only source of getting weather information. The government has made a real push over the past 15 years to sign-on new NOAA weather radio stations. Except for a few isolated areas where terrain or factors may be an issue, almost the entire US population is within listening range of NOAA weather radio. Here's a link with coverage maps:
NOAA Weather Radio

Eric

When the electricity goes out I turn on my weather radio.

This other Weather Cast channel seems interesting where it will show weather in a more localized area. Hopefully getting on Dish Network will help give them additional funds to do some upgrades to their channel. There is no doubt that The Weather Channel is more professional with their reporters and their software is superior.

Hate to reflect on my age, but back when men were men, and cars had vertical tail fins, all the weather was presented by the ladies (referred to as tomatoes). :D

I hope that this new weather channel provides some eye candy presenters. Weather maps are boring. :tux:

I always have to wonder when people comment about TWC and ask if they've ever seen or had TWC on cable ? It's different... It's USEFUL, actually ! On satellite, we literally NEVER tune to this channel for "weather". No offense, but for day-to-day weather, I don't care what the weather is in CA, TX, NY, FL, and so on. People want to know what the weather is in their area.

I have to agree with this. I have yet to see any 'improvement' or benefit with watching WeatherCast. It still shows me weather from all over the country without focusing on my area. I still need to go to the E* weather app to see my local info, something that TWC offered in the SD feed. To me, it's just different people doing the exact same thing.

The weather application looks like almost the same one they used on the SD version of TWC.

I am kind of surprised no interactive forthe HD versions.

Weathercast is funny when they are at the monitorand to switch between screens they need to switch video inputs and on the screen it says COMP1 when they switch.

Just love start ups

Was just on the weather cast and they had a major F -up. The on screen talent (Paul Douglas) mic was muted for over a minute. Then they told him and he thru an on air hyssie fit. It was ROFL almost time. He did everything cussing on air "damn it to Hell":yikes:yikes. He walked off set and I bet someone got yelled at. They didn't even have the responses to roll to something else. It was just dead air w/the graphics he was using at the time. Got to see the studio door open and close it was hilarious. Guys it ain't recorded it's LIVE. Thanks to the buffer on the 722k I got to watch it over and got it recorded as well. This is gonna be on You-tube b4 too long. I love my 722k. :D:D:D::haha:haha

The weather application looks like almost the same one they used on the SD version of TWC.

Weathercast is funny when they are at the monitorand to switch between screens they need to switch video inputs and on the screen it says COMP1 when they switch.

I think I like the weather app on the 922 better than this interactive app.

lol i saw that blooper on weathercast! lol funny stuff. also, i'm blind, so here's a question. when it goes to that compressed audio playing music like dish earth has and the fre preview channel, what is it showing? if it's local weather that's ok, if not, what is it? and man they need more music tracks lol. it sounds like some 80s elavator music or something lol.

I like it... TWC has migrated away from being a true weather channel, look at the last cap of the oil spill as an example ... and the interactive settings automatically transferred over to the new channel.

Attachments

• Dish Weather.JPG
    Dish Weather.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Wether.JPG
    Wether.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Wether1.JPG
    Wether1.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Weather Channel.JPG
    Weather Channel.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 156

I noticed this last night and had to chuckle. It's one of those little details that I would consider unacceptable if I was running the show. Truthfully, though, it's not a huge deal.

Was just on the weather cast and they had a major F -up. The on screen talent (Paul Douglas) mic was muted for over a minute. Then they told him and he thru an on air hyssie fit. It was ROFL almost time. He did everything cussing on air "damn it to Hell":yikes:yikes. He walked off set and I bet someone got yelled at. They didn't even have the responses to roll to something else. It was just dead air w/the graphics he was using at the time. Got to see the studio door open and close it was hilarious. Guys it ain't recorded it's LIVE. Thanks to the buffer on the 722k I got to watch it over and got it recorded as well. This is gonna be on You-tube b4 too long. I love my 722k. :D:D:D::haha:haha
That's very interesting info. The time delays last night got me to wondering how they would provide 24/7 coverage with such a small staff of personalities (according to the WeatherNation site). Looking forward to your YouTube clip!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbu2AH3k4Pw[/youtube]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbu2AH3k4Pw"]YouTube- Weatherman forgets he's on TV[/ame]

Weathercast is far superior to The Weather Channel. They actually have 16:9 screens on the HD channel instead of 4:3 with side banners like TWC. The maps are better. The graphics are better. The info is better. Kudos to Dish Network for providing a real weather channel.

The weather on The Weather Cast channel is out of date, some of it appears to be 3 or more hours old.

Has anyone been able to confirm if the weather data on WeatherCast is real time or hours delayed?

Other than this possible issue, I think it's pretty cool. Hope Dish keeps both of the weather channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts