Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Some interesting news from Dish Network. This info comes from a newsletter which was sent to retailers yesterday.

First off it appears that my rumor of a $10 HD package from Dish Network is TRUE. Here is a little tease about it from the retailer newsletter.

DishHD Packages - We expect to announce additional changes to our HD programming lineup in 2008, which will be discussed in future Retailer communications…so stay tuned! These announcements include a new entry-level HD package which will be priced at $10.00/mo.!

In addition Dish is making changes to its existing customer promotions, so now when you do something like Dish'n It Up instead of agreeing to a 18 month commitment you will now have a 2 year (24 month) commitment.

• Existing Customer Promotional Programs
? Current existing customer Promotional Programs will be extended through July 31, 2008. Additionally, all such Promotional Programs currently requiring an 18-month term agreement will, effective February 1, 2008, require a 24-month term agreement:

– DISH’n It Up
– DishDVR Advantage Offer
– DishMOVER
– Additional Antenna
– DISH 500/1000.2 Antenna Upgrade
– FSS Antenna Upgrade
– Purchased Receiver Antenna Upgrade
– HD Over The Air Antenna

• Expiring Customer Promotional Offers – Effective February 1, 2008 – The following customer promotional offers will no longer be available in Q1 2008:
? DishHD Free for 6 Months
? HBO and Cinemax Free for 3 Months
? $100 DISH’n It Up Bonus
? DishLATINO $10 for 10 Months
? DishINTERNATIONAL $10 for 10 Months
? High-Speed Internet $10 for 10 Months

More as we hear it. :)

Thanks be being SatelliteGuys!

Thanks for the info Scott.

Dish's answer to churn - Typical....Instead of providing better service or value they extend the friggin commitment for 6 months. :rolleyes:

NightRyder

We're going to be dropping our programming down to the 2nd level I think. I'm just waiting to see what the new HD pack is.

Please note

"Entry level HD Package". Probably 3-4 worthless channels:p. I don't see much different happening with Dish except additional squeezing of top AEP customers (who they will be losing in 2008)..
My opinion, Gerry

I am thinking the "entry level HD Package" will be Voom only.

Probably, since most HD customers watch the HD other than Voom. :mad:

The only HD I watch besides locals in HD are the Discovery channels and History channel.

I'm so glad I did my DIU's with the 18-month commit.

I'm Hoping that Austin Locals come in HD during 2008. I also hope Dish makes a deal with LIN, since our NBC is a Lin property (KXAN-TV/DT).

LER

I am thinking the "entry level HD Package" will be Voom only.

Of course I never say never but this is totally against logic. VOOM was $5 before, and still is a less desired HD niche pack. This new $10 HD pack is obviously in response to D*'s $9.99 HD pack, used to be less attractive than E*'s but now way more appealing with many more HD channels.

E* must act to counter that, and while I don't hold my breadth at all, but if E* has its head out of the sand, this so called "entry level" HD pack should include ALL their national HD channels, except VOOM and premiums. So at least an E* basic-pack sub can take the comfort knowing his HD selection is not that far off from an D* basic sub, and therefore less inclined to swtitch to D*.

I'm so glad I did my DIU's with the 18-month commit.

I'm Hoping that Austin Locals come in HD during 2008. I also hope Dish makes a deal with LIN, since our NBC is a Lin property (KXAN-TV/DT).

LER

Living here in San Antonio, I am absolutely amazed that Dish and the NBC affiliate have not come to terms on redistributing their HD feed.

Though I am happy to have Fox in HD, especially with the Sarah Connor Chronicles coming in January.

Though, Sci-Fi never does well on Fox, so it will most likely be cancelled after 3 episodes.

Here is to hoping the Sci-Fi channel picks it up...and we get Sci-Fi channel in HD too.

I know...mostly off topic...

I'd think that the 10$ pack would be just HD feeds of SD channels you already get, but none (or very few) of the HD-only channels.

If I were running the show, that's how I'd do it.

If I were running things, those channels would be part of the basic package.

Dish has clearly lost touch with reality. If they don't have the space to add more HD, fine, but tell people that, and tell people you're working on it, don't sit there and not say anything like you're a lunatic or a moron.

The 10$ a month tier is probably in response to D*. I do agree that free would be better (and might change the rules some since they could claim both free HD channels and Free HD-DVR). but it's about getting more dollars I guess.

I agree that they should be telling customers something, but at the same time they'd give D* a convenient quote they could use in future advertising. :)

I think they are trying to do it like D*

The "entry level" will be $10.00 and will include HD versions of only the channels you pay for in SD. Then, for $14.99 or $19.99 you will get the "HD only channels" like HDNet, the Vooms, etc.

Just my thoughts.....

Not sure.. If E* has an existing contract/agreement with HDNet, HDNet could end up with a handful of other HD-only channels in the 10$ tier. If D* wins the lawsuit with HDNet (I think it's still ongoing?) then maybe E* would be fine with doing the same.

It's always a cost game. It's also sometimes a 'screw with the other carriers' game. If they have HDNet/HDNMV/HDNews (some of the few full 24-hour HD channels out there) in their 10$ tiers along with HD simulcast of SD channels you have, I think that'd actually not be a bad rig.

I'd hope in the future we won't have a HD tier, it'll just be programming as usual, but I don't think that'll be likely until we at least see MPEG4 across the board for all programming. I have no idea when that'll happen, but I look forward to it.

I don't think we have any concrete dates yet about sat launches. Could be mid year before we see anything too interesting except for some isolated channel launches. Sucks, but I'm not unhappy with the service I get now either.. :)

Well that seals that. Both satellite companies now admit that in order to keep you as a customer they have to rope you into a contract. They BOTH have no confidence in their product if they HAVE to FORCE you into a contract, not even giving you the option of buying out of the contract.

WTG satellite companies. You are now everything cable was 15 years ago. :mad:

Someone explain to me again why satellite is better again? They both have crappy SD PQ, for the most part their HD quality is in the tank, only thing D* has to hang their hat on is "LOOK AT THE CHANNELS WE HAVE!" And E* doesn't have that yet.

One would have to have a pretty danged crappy cable company not to at least equal E*.

We have Charter down here in LA and it easily equals E* in HD channels. PQ is about the same, from what I see. Price increases abound for ALL providers, not just satellite.

What's the advantages of satellite again? :confused:

Comcast requires a contract for their triple-play deals too and they have much less HD programming in any markets that I've seen, especially in this region.

As far as I know E* is merely mimicking D*'s 2 year contracts. Cell contracts are also 2 years. I think the problem that I don't like is I don't think you can just pay the 50$ fee to get around this contract requirement (like you can as a new act).

Well that seals that. Both satellite companies now admit that in order to keep you as a customer they have to rope you into a contract. They BOTH have no confidence in their product if they HAVE to FORCE you into a contract, not even giving you the option of buying out of the contract.

WTG satellite companies. You are now everything cable was 15 years ago. :mad:

Someone explain to me again why satellite is better again? They both have crappy SD PQ, for the most part their HD quality is in the tank, only thing D* has to hang their hat on is "LOOK AT THE CHANNELS WE HAVE!" And E* doesn't have that yet.

One would have to have a pretty danged crappy cable company not to at least equal E*.

We have Charter down here in LA and it easily equals E* in HD channels. PQ is about the same, from what I see. Price increases abound for ALL providers, not just satellite.

What's the advantages of satellite again? :confused:

You underestimate how many really bad cable companies there are out there. Mine doesn't even come close to E* in channels, quality or price.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)