DIsh Network Olympic Info

Just a suggestion... how about updating the origingal post to reflect changes? The 721 has the interactive thing-a-ma-bobby operational.

yeah, now according the the dish site, the only receiver that will be left out is the 811, poor fella ;)

Does anyone have the interactive channel working on a 522? If so, is it on the new 2.03 software?

I have the banner, and it's clickable, only to get the "not operational yet" popup. The banner's been there since at least Monday, just wasn't clickable until today.

Okay...just got off the phone with Dish...

He said the 322 & 522 boxes will have the interactive channel active tomorrow (8/12). Why it's one day later than what they advertised, I have no clue...but as long as I get it prior to Saturday, I'm game.

I exchanged e-mail with the Chief Engineer at KXAN here in Austin (who I know). He indicated that this is more complicated than the locals simply giving permission. It is a deal that the network did.

He also indicated that I would be able to get all of the NBC HD programming over the air. He did not elaborate on whether that would be on the primary or secondary channel.

I mentioned that the locals were getting hammered here and on "the other site." I suggested that some Local and Corporate PR might help explain things.

The following is my guesstimate- not part of the e-mail from the station.

If you were an station not owned and operated by NBC, who depends on advertising revenue to keep the lights on, why on earth would you want to have the network provide programming directly to the customer?

Yes, the customer is happy, but the station receives no income from local advertising and thus loses customers during a major event with a lot of viewers/ potential revenue.

On that basis, and in reading the e-mail from the other station above, I'm beginning to think that the network is the bad guy.

Candidly, I don't care where the programming comes from, as long as I get the feed in HD and don't just get a couple of hours of "highlights."

Sure, those who aren't in a local area should get the feed from the network, but those who are can certainly watch it through their local station.

As the bumper stickers say around here "Keep Austin Weird- Support Local Business."

Am I missing something here???

The HD feed is not rated, and their is absoluted no local ad insertion on it, so there is no revenue coming from that area, that's pretty much why it doesn't matter to most of the stations.

That is all correct and sounds like you "might" be one of those affiliates, BUT when a resident calls, emails, and can show proof that they are some 90 (or whatever) miles away and can't get you OTA, your first words as an affiliates should not be "you CAN get us IF you spend $500 to place a 50' tower and a 1000 ellement commercial grade antenna on your roof". All that should be done is a SIMPLE distance from their tower to your service address qualification. If you are X miles away, you get the waiver, NO QUESTIONS ASKED! This would solve everything EXCEPT affiliates would lose the ability to screw most of us. It has still yet to be answered why they are allowed to continue their illegal monopoly scheme?

charper1: You got that right!

I'm stuck in a DMA where I will NEVER EVER see digital OTA, and yet the affliates just keep screwing me.

I wish Dish had NEVER added the Colorado Springs locals - I was MUCH better off before.

Got the 2.03 download on my 522 overnight. Dish Home still gives me the "A new Dish Home interactive channel is coming soon..." message instead of the 6-in-1 channel.

Channel 147 now has an Olympics barker on.

It wasn't there yesterday.

Springfield Mo and Little Rock AR still don't show up in the authorized areas list on the E* site.

So much for HD-TV. *sigh*

RBBrittain said:
Got the 2.03 download on my 522 overnight. Dish Home still gives me the "A new Dish Home interactive channel is coming soon..." message instead of the 6-in-1 channel.

My 721 required a Power Plug pull reboot to get the NBC Showcase to come up. Had the same indication as you get before doing the reboot.

I didnt need a reboot at all on my 721 for the Showcase to work. I do wish that the PVR features worked when using the showcase. I was using it last night and was watching something and my kids yelled and I missed something said, and I tried rewinding to hear what I missed but was scolded that I couldn't do that.

I still like the Olympic Showcase though. :D

DMA and NBC HD

I am in Indianapolis, IN and it is on the Dish network list of DMAs authorised to receive this channel. I am not getting it and when I called Dish network they say not everyone in the DMA are allowed to receive it. Is that true? . I am unable to get the OTA NBC HD feed due to constant 49% lock with 811. So I guess I cannot see the Olympics in HD. That sucks, I got the 811 few months ago mainly for this reason, since OTA was not possible I was hoping the NBC HD will make up for it. Are there any ways around it. Of course showcase does not work on 811. This receiver is getting the armpit treatment from Dish and to think I paid $199 to exchange this for my old 311 makes me so infuriated. I had the CSR have a piece of my mind yesterday, but they have me tied down for another year's commitment or $240 penalty, neither of which are good prospects.

The HD channel will not be turned on until 8pm Friday night.

No one will see it until then.

I wish Dish would put up a graphic on the screen and open up the channel, I am sure this HD Olympics is causing lots of calls which could be avoided if they just turned the channel on now.

Well in that case, I guess I need to apologise to the CSR. I will wait and see on Friday whether I can get it. She could have told me so, but I guess the CSR are the last to know about Dish management decision. I am glad I found this site to get the information.

I subscribe to AT60 which doesn't include MSNBC. I noticed that I now get it but as of this morning my 522 still does not get NBC Showcase. I hope this isn't just "vaporware" like many of the other interactive features on the 522. At least I get an extra channel for a while. Too bad it isn't Fox News instead :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)