Dish now charges $10 for tech visit to replace broken components?

Tell them to disconnect the service, you are switching to DirecTV, and then get back to us and tell us what they said.

I actually did eventually get them to waive the fee after I said "no wonder Dish is losing customers." I just never heard of the fee before especially since the $100 upgrade is not even six months old.

I've only ever had to have Dish techs come out once, and that was to re-peak my dish. I never had to have DirecTV techs out ever.

ITOH: When I had cable, it was a pretty regular thing to have them come out to try to solve issues. Luckily they do not charge for truck-rolls because I'd have been furious after the umpteenth appointment to fix something unfixable by a field tech. I might have injured myself in my wrath.

Reactions: JSheridan
You aren't paying for the equipment, you're paying for the programming. They are basically letting you borrow the equipment. :)

Really, I pay $53.00 a month, including the protection plan, for the use of the equipment.

Really, I pay $53.00 a month, including the protection plan, for the use of the equipment.

Go back and read my previous posts...

They are letting you borrow the equipment. You are paying for the programming and services.

The protection plan is a service.

Go back and read my previous posts...

They are letting you borrow the equipment. You are paying for the programming and services.

No. I am paying about $150.00 for programming, $53.00 for equipment for a total of $200 plus.

Tell them to disconnect the service, you are switching to DirecTV, and then get back to us and tell us what they said.
I told them also, and the Dirt rep. Got me a bunch of discounts. I like Dish. I was a Directv customer years ago, and although they had about the same channels, at that time, Directv customer service was not so good or great.

Reactions: pattykay
No. I am paying about $150.00 for programming, $53.00 for equipment for a total of $200 plus.

Again. You aren't paying for the equipment. You are probably paying a fee for DVR service and a fee for the additional outlet services. That's why the fees are the same whether you own or borrow (lease for legal purposes) the equipment.

What some people call an additional receiver fee is actually an outlet fee to mirror your programming to another TV. In the past most of those fees went to the programming providers and I doubt that business model has changed much.

....When I had cable, it was a pretty regular thing to have them come out to try to solve issues. Luckily they do not charge for truck-rolls because I'd have been furious after the umpteenth appointment to fix something unfixable by a field tech. I might have injured myself in my wrath.

That’s why I left cable, lo these many years ago. Frequent service calls to rebalance the analog cable, endless lies about how digital was “almost here.”

And THEN they informed us there would be a charge for each future truck roll, regardless of fault. Even though every call was due to problems outside my home- and I’d have to take off work and be present. And they promised to be there sometime between the Korean War and the age of Aquarius.

In the past most of those fees went to the programming providers and I doubt that business model has changed much.
People seem to forget that. Many seem to think the added fees are just lining the provider's pockets, but in reality the content owners are getting their lion's share of it.

I should add...the $95 tech visit fee is a cost mitigation to pay for the truck roll and the employee's time. Nothing to to with equipment or programming.

Again. You aren't paying for the equipment. You are probably paying a fee for DVR service and a fee for the additional outlet services. That's why the fees are the same whether you own or borrow (lease for legal purposes) the equipment.

What some people call an additional receiver fee is actually an outlet fee to mirror your programming to another TV. In the past most of those fees went to the programming providers and I doubt that business model has changed much.

I disagree. I am paying for the usage of the equipment that I do not own. My bill even states the charges in that manner. If any of the equipment I do not own stops working, it is replaced without charge. I also own a Hopper. If that Hopper stops working, I will be charged for the replacement or repair (that has already happened in the past). I am also paying an extra charge for everything else such as the dish, the cabling and the switch. So, over the 20 years that I have been a customer, I have paid $11,000 for the usage of equipment. Not only that: The part that needs to be replaced is not even a year old. And I already paid extra to have that installed.

Now, I somewhat understand why Dish would want to charge a co-pay so that there aren't unnecessary tech visits. I just have never been charged before. And in this case, they wanted to charge me for something they only recently installed.

I told them also, and the Dirt rep. Got me a bunch of discounts. I like Dish. I was a Directv customer years ago, and although they had about the same channels, at that time, Directv customer service was not so good or great.

That was my mistake. I should have contacted the DIRT team rather than using the 800 number. I really like Dish. That's why I have been a customer so long.

I disagree. I am paying for the usage of the equipment that I do not own. My bill even states the charges in that manner. If any of the equipment I do not own stops working, it is replaced without charge. I also own a Hopper. If that Hopper stops working, I will be charged for the replacement or repair (that has already happened in the past). I am also paying an extra charge for everything else such as the dish, the cabling and the switch. So, over the 20 years that I have been a customer, I have paid $11,000 for the usage of equipment. Not only that: The part that needs to be replaced is not even a year old. And I already paid extra to have that installed.

Now, I somewhat understand why Dish would want to charge a co-pay so that there aren't unnecessary tech visits. I just have never been charged before. And in this case, they wanted to charge me for something they only recently installed.

Sorry that the facts don't agree with what you believe.

As for this from your post: 'I am also paying an extra charge for everything else such as the dish, the cabling and the switch'.

Really? How much do you pay per month for your dish, cabling and switch?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)