Dish Picture Quality Discussion

To say that E* puts too many channels per TP is a fact. I understand OTA is MPEG 2 but I tell you, especially Univision looks as good as a Blu Ray disk. I only record OTA for special events on this channel due to the size it takes, but transfer it to the EHD which has 1 TB right away.

Transmitter is 6 miles and signal is 98-100. Other channels don't look as good. :popcorn
1st of all it impossible for any broadcast to look as good as a Blu Ray Disk. It just doesn't have the bandwidth a BR disc does. There are also several other things that can factor into PQ as well. How it the signal delivered to E* is one of those. If they are getting a fiber signal then it will be cleaner than if they are picking it up OTA demoding it and then sending it to E. How many subchannels on the signal can cut back on PQ as well. Then the last possible is how many are on your tp coming to you. So areas have 5 HD's on their tp some have up to 8. I would think that those that have 8 is really pushing it past the limit of a good hi quality picture.

SD locals have historically looked worse on Dish than SD "cable" channels. So, it seems only natural that it would end up the same for HD.
Where I live, some of the HD locals still look better ota than the "cable" channels do on Dish. For example, our CBS station is an O&O station that is broadcast in 1080i with no sub-channels. IMO, nothing on Dish looks as good. Although some of the on demand stuff, after being fully downloaded, looks really nice.

Where I live, some of the HD locals still look better ota than the "cable" channels do on Dish. For example, our CBS station is an O&O station that is broadcast in 1080i with no sub-channels. IMO, nothing on Dish looks as good. Although some of the on demand stuff, after being fully downloaded, looks really nice.
I concur.

1st of all it impossible for any broadcast to look as good as a Blu Ray Disk. It just doesn't have the bandwidth a BR disc does. There are also several other things that can factor into PQ as well. How it the signal delivered to E* is one of those. If they are getting a fiber signal then it will be cleaner than if they are picking it up OTA demoding it and then sending it to E. How many subchannels on the signal can cut back on PQ as well. Then the last possible is how many are on your tp coming to you. So areas have 5 HD's on their tp some have up to 8. I would think that those that have 8 is really pushing it past the limit of a good hi quality picture.

It's just that the 11-1 Univision is an Empire in spanish speaking locations in the U.S & beyond. I guess they must have the latest in equipment. Other HD locals are
ok I guess.

No sub channels in Univision.

You are correct that 8 HD's in one TP is really pushing it.:)

Ideally it should be 6 HD channels per TP IMO. It's just how it goes. Whether it's OTA, Satellite, Internet, Cable, there just doesn't appear to be enough bandwidth to produce Blu-Ray-quality or anything near it for that matter.

It's just that the 11-1 Univision is an Empire in spanish speaking locations in the U.S & beyond. I guess they must have the latest in equipment. Other HD locals are
ok I guess.

No sub channels in Univision.

You are correct that 8 HD's in one TP is really pushing it.:)
Depends on the location. I have worked for 2 stations that had Univision as subchannels. One put out a really good picture and one put out a mediocre picture. It was due to the equipment that the 2 different locations had to output the OTA signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)