Dish Scapes on 199 is interesting

I have had it recording since a little after noon, Chicago time, and the sunset started around 6:02pm on the playback. It took about 10 minutes for the entire sunset to occur and now has been the night scene the entire time.
Interesting. That would be a little after 7 PM Eastern time, then. However, the night before that, I know it went to the night scene sometime closer to 5 PM Eastern. Maybe they rotate the time slots each day of the week, to make the sunset / sunrise times more appropriate for different time zones. For a "real world" explanation of why the sunset / sunrise times would vary so much from day to day, I guess this island must be moving around quite a lot. So, I am thinking that this Dish Scape takes place on the island of Kooey Kooey Kooey. (That was the name of a moving island in the Justice League comic books in the 1990's.)

Yeah, I recorded about 6 hours of it yesterday during the day and all I got was the rain and then the sailboat over and over for 6 hours, no sunset. Of course I was in fast forward. There was not much to see after dark. It was too dark.

So I turned it on at 5:30pm central time and there was about 2 loops. And a little after 6pm, the sun is starting to set - purplish sky along the clouds.
I just remarked to my wife that I can watch the sunset out the window or on the TV. (but here in Texas we are a bit ahead of what we see on TV.

I hit it just right today. Within 20 minutes:

Thunderstorm w/lightning & rain
Frog
Butterflies
Red parrot
Grey goose(?)
Sailboat
and a 2nd thunderstorm
Correction, green parrot with a red head

The nightime transition (started at exactly 7 pm here in the east) is awesome right down to the moon, stars, shooting stars, and beach bonfire. The only spoiler is that bloody barking dog off in the distance (why??).

• Haha
Reactions: maggiedeahne
WHY IS THERE A DOG BARKING DURING THE NIGHT SCENE??? The rain should last longer, you have clouds moving, birds flying, water fall, waves crashing, a fire, sail boat but the moon just stays in one place??? The day scene is very good but the night scene with the barking dog needs to go.

Reactions: Radioguy41
but the moon just stays in one place???
Thank you. I am glad to see that I am not the only one bothered by that. I have seen that same thing in multiple Dish Scapes over the many months they have been doing these. They usually just hide the moon with clouds to make it disappear, but we never get to see it rise or set. During the March Unexplained Dish Scape, there was much discussion in this thread nitpicking the direction of the rotation of the stars in the sky. So now, with the moon, Dish has decided not to make it rotate at all? Hey Dish, the moon is not a geosynchronous satellite. :biggrin

• Haha
Reactions: maggiedeahne
Thank you. I am glad to see that I am not the only one bothered by that. I have seen that same thing in multiple Dish Scapes over the many months they have been doing these. They usually just hide the moon with clouds to make it disappear, but we never get to see it rise or set. During the March Unexplained Dish Scape, there was much discussion in this thread nitpicking the direction of the rotation of the stars in the sky. So now, with the moon, Dish has decided not to make it rotate at all? Hey Dish, the moon is not a geosynchronous satellite. :biggrin
Also, during night time, the Moon will never show its illumination as depicted. As shown in The January Scape, the sun would be required to be located HIGHER in the sky (ie daytime) and to the left of the Moon.

I don't have a Hopper so I can't try the channel 198 Dish Scape collection, but for someone who has it - is there a Dish Scape like that already on there? An Egyptian Pyramid one?