Dish Smart Card Swap

Lots of threads about this. Dish is switching to a new security system. If you received cards then they are required to keep your receivers working so go ahead and install them. Certain new receivers already have the new internal smart cards built in.

Today in the mail I got new smart cards to put into my Receivers, even though on both my receivers, there are internal smart cards. Does anyone know if Dish is going to get rid of the internal smart card system and just stick to physical smart cards?

They are keeping the internal system. Some people have already gotten receivers with the new smart cards builtin.

Here's the problem, Claude. And I've called you on this in the past. You don't seem to recognize that the vast majority of FTAers are legitimate. You also don't think that there is legitimate FTA, and that FTA is just a cover for piracy. You've said in the past that if the encryption was secured properly FTA would go away. I have news for you. It isn't. You're like one of those guys who like to muddy the waters by lumping legal and illegal immigration together. Then calling those who want to stop illegal immigration "anti-immigrant" because they know they can't win the debate any other way. FTA and piracy are not the same thing.

Given the current state I would bet 3/4+ of the FTA boxes are being used for pirating. Lets see you can pay $100/month to Dish, or you buy a FTA box, flash the box and get free Dish... You are living in a dream world if you think people everywhere are not jumping on this "free cable".

Yes, a ton of FTA boxes are being used legitimately, but far more are being used for free TV, it is just too easy. Even if you go with the cheapest Dish plan, your FTA box will pay for itself in 6 months of pirating. Comparing against AEP and you pay for it in 3 months. FTA is a nice hobby which a lot of people like, but it pales in comparison to free cable.

Given the current state I would bet 3/4+ of the FTA boxes are being used for pirating. Lets see you can pay $100/month to Dish, or you buy a FTA box, flash the box and get free Dish... You are living in a dream world if you think people everywhere are not jumping on this "free cable".

Yes, a ton of FTA boxes are being used legitimately, but far more are being used for free TV, it is just too easy. Even if you go with the cheapest Dish plan, your FTA box will pay for itself in 6 months of pirating. Comparing against AEP and you pay for it in 3 months. FTA is a nice hobby which a lot of people like, but it pales in comparison to free cable.

Why don't you go into the FTA section of this site and say that? They'll be glad to show you the error of your ways.

Obviously most of the people on this site do not use fta boxes to steal, but let's face it guys, we are not the majority. I thing fta is a wonderful hobby and love listening to you guys that really know what you are doing, but I have to side mostly with those that think the majority of the fta boxes out there are being used to receive something they shouldn't.

Obviously most of the people on this site do not use fta boxes to steal, but let's face it guys, we are not the majority. I thing fta is a wonderful hobby and love listening to you guys that really know what you are doing, but I have to side mostly with those that think the majority of the fta boxes out there are being used to receive something they shouldn't.

And you think all FTA receivers are capable of it? I think not. Not to mention, let me just give you an anecdote from my experience. In the nearly 6 years I've been in the satellite business, only once have I seen a customer with a FTA box being used for nefarious purposes. I see customers with LEGITIMATE FTA boxes at least a couple of times a week. I've seen tons of hacked D* and E* boxes, however. FTA boxes are just the latest scapegoat to draw attention away from the real security problems D* and E* have. Most of which comes from modified D* and E* boxes.

Last edited:
Tyralak -
I never said that fta receivers were capable of it? Where did you get the idea that I thought that?

Attachments

• Hijack-Punk.jpg
    Hijack-Punk.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 125
I'm willing to bet that the popular FTA receivers with pirates are the best-selling FTA receivers too... Does that just mean they're better all-around receivers though ?

Pretty good security system. That way, all Dish has to do is check to see if the receiver and smart card numbers match--if they do you're good to go, if not, then problems. This should help enable Dish to rid themselves of those they suspect of committing piracy (though I don't know if Dish has a big problem in this area or is simply paranoid).

Doing a "smart card" search is not as helpful as one would wish. I tried it.

fitzie

Scott/Mods:

How about a smart card sticky so we don't get the same questions in a new thread every few days, given the number of smart cards going out nowadays?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts