Dish to unveil 4k?

Your assuming that broadcasters have libraries of programming. I sincerely doubt that is the case.
I didn't say they did.

Take it in conext:
That doesn't mean content creators won't produce in 4K. They see what has happened to the value of their SD catalogs and realize it's best to future proof the content.

Content creators <> broadcasters.

I didn't say they did.
My bad. I did take what you said out of context.

The broadcasters and content creators aren't interested in the same things. Broadcasters will move on when the marketplace tells them it is time. If that means downconverting, so be it.

The difference this time around is that the aspect ratio isn't changing so radically -- a big reason watching SD programming on HDTVs was so "miserable".

Am I missing something here? What is the purpose of going to 4k if they're all going to compress the signal? Wouldn't it be better if they just sent 1080p uncompressed?

Reactions: dare2be
Am I missing something here? What is the purpose of going to 4k if they're all going to compress the signal? Wouldn't it be better if they just sent 1080p uncompressed?

1080p uncompressed would not be a financial carrot providers/producers can hang in front of us like 4K would be, unfortunately.

I think what we mean is less compressed 1080, vs. overly compressed 4K AND 1080 content.

I don't understand. Haven't locals (the majority of them at least) AND cable/satcos ALL upgraded their equipment to HD?
You took what I said out of context. The local stations have already jyst invested their money into upgrading to HD. I am sure that the majority are not ready to upgrade to 4k for a while.

Reactions: Tampa8
You took what I said out of context. The local stations have already jyst invested their money into upgrading to HD. I am sure that the majority are not ready to upgrade to 4k for a while.
Which sam is saying would apply to cable cos as well.

But I don't agree. The financial outlays would be less and the cable cos have deeper pockets.

Reactions: Tampa8
The cable companies have more money than the local TV stations. They will upgrade first. If Dish is coming out to with the 4k Joey then they must be planning on releasing enough 4k content to make it worthwhile

Last edited:
Which sam is saying would apply to cable cos as well.

But I don't agree. The financial outlays would be less and the cable cos have deeper pockets.
You don't know the cable companies around here. lol Sure, we have Time Warner, but there are (no exaggeration) about 100 OTHER "mom and pop" cable companies serving the viewing area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)