Dish Wally DUAL Tuner

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

David Elsenpeter

Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
Brea, Ca.
I'm new to the forum but have appreciated all the info everyone has posted. I thought those interested in the Dish Wally might want to know something I've yet to read anywhere.

I am able to get DUAL tuners using a standard Wally. Everything I read prior to purchase said it was a SINGLE tuner.

Regarding my antenna, I've tested and used the Winegard Road Trip T4, Winegard Trav'ler Dish 1000 and the newest standard Dish Turbo (installed on my house, not sure of the model #).

None of the antenna required an external switch, the Wally did show a different switch with each antenna, but I did not need to add it (it must be software driven or pre-installed on the various antenna or the Wally).

This is true even with the external hard drive enabled.

On each Wally I am able to record 2 live shows at once and still watch something pre-recorded on the DVR (all in HD 1080i or 1080p, NOT 4k)

For those with the Hopper3, the Wally's software seems almost identical and recording or viewing recordings is identical. Timers work the same also.

For those with Dish at home and in their RV like me, I am able to have the following on my single account:

Home
(1) Hopper3
(3) 4k Joeys
(1) Joey3

RV
(2) Wally's (both with 2tb external hard drives)

(7) total receivers

I also had an old 612 single tuner purchased receiver on the account at the same time, but I just disabled it since the Wally's have 4 record-able tuners.

On the negative side, contrary to what Dish Customer Support had assured me of, I am being charged $7 per month for each Wally. They had said the Wally's would not cost any monthly fee, only the purchase price (this was with or without the external hard drives enabled). They did properly inform me of the $40 one time DVR activation fee (good for both Wally's).

Hope this helps you, I wish I had known this several years ago!

I'm new to the forum but have appreciated all the info everyone has posted. I thought those interested in the Dish Wally might want to know something I've yet to read anywhere.

I am able to get DUAL tuners using a standard Wally. Everything I read prior to purchase said it was a SINGLE tuner.

Regarding my antenna, I've tested and used the Winegard Road Trip T4, Winegard Trav'ler Dish 1000 and the newest standard Dish Turbo (installed on my house, not sure of the model #).

None of the antenna required an external switch, the Wally did show a different switch with each antenna, but I did not need to add it (it must be software driven or pre-installed on the various antenna or the Wally).

This is true even with the external hard drive enabled.

On each Wally I am able to record 2 live shows at once and still watch something pre-recorded on the DVR (all in HD 1080i or 1080p, NOT 4k)

For those with the Hopper3, the Wally's software seems almost identical and recording or viewing recordings is identical. Timers work the same also.

For those with Dish at home and in their RV like me, I am able to have the following on my single account:

Home
(1) Hopper3
(3) 4k Joeys
(1) Joey3

RV
(2) Wally's (both with 2tb external hard drives)

(7) total receivers

I also had an old 612 single tuner purchased receiver on the account at the same time, but I just disabled it since the Wally's have 4 record-able tuners.

On the negative side, contrary to what Dish Customer Support had assured me of, I am being charged $7 per month for each Wally. They had said the Wally's would not cost any monthly fee, only the purchase price (this was with or without the external hard drives enabled). They did properly inform me of the $40 one time DVR activation fee (good for both Wally's).

Hope this helps you, I wish I had known this several years ago!

Thanks for all the info on the Wally. Just ordered one for my Uncle's RV with a Winegard Road Trip T4. My understanding is that PTAT is not available in the Wally. Do you see the PTAT setting in the menu or is it there but just doesn't work?

Thanks for all the info on the Wally. Just ordered one for my Uncle's RV with a Winegard Road Trip T4. My understanding is that PTAT is not available in the Wally. Do you see the PTAT setting in the menu or is it there but just doesn't work?
There's definitely no PTAT, just like on a Hopper Duo

Reactions: charlesrshell
Does the Wally with dual tuner and hard drive require a hybrid lnb? Or will all the dual tuner and hard drive features work with the my DP+ and side dish?

Can someone help with RV Wally OTA questions? Do you RVers out there subscribe to the local channels? If not, do you just use the OTA adapter with your Wally and still get the guide? If you don't subscribe to local channels, do you still have to call DISH and change your location when you get parked at the next destination?

He's new. Cut him some slack, Jack :rolleyes:

You didn't have to be so snarky about it. You might have said something like: The Wally initially was a single tuner receiver but a software update, some time ago, made it a dual tuner. Honestly, this was the OP's first post on this website. He was, obviously trying to help those not in the know.

You didn't have to be so snarky about it. You might have said something like: The Wally initially was a single tuner receiver but a software update, some time ago, made it a dual tuner. Honestly, this was the OP's first post on this website. He was, obviously trying to help those not in the know.

Exactly. Not everybody has time to weed through every post on the site to see if a topic has already been covered.

Can someone help with RV Wally OTA questions? Do you RVers out there subscribe to the local channels? If not, do you just use the OTA adapter with your Wally and still get the guide? If you don't subscribe to local channels, do you still have to call DISH and change your location when you get parked at the next destination?

I change locals as we travel using either the Dish Chat service online or the Dish app on my smartphone. I don't change locals for every move though, particularly for one night stops while we're still in the previous local's spot beam. Right now for instance, we're parked at our upstate NY cottage until we head south after the holidays, but I left our service address set to our previous location in southern VT. Both areas are in the Albany, NY DMA, so we get the same locals anyway. The VT location is a little unique though, because they also get the Burlington, VT DMA locals.

I change locals as we travel using either the Dish Chat service online or the Dish app on my smartphone. I don't change locals for every move though, particularly for one night stops while we're still in the previous local's spot beam. Right now for instance, we're parked at our upstate NY cottage until we head south after the holidays, but I left our service address set to our previous location in southern VT. Both areas are in the Albany, NY DMA, so we get the same locals anyway. The VT location is a little unique though, because they also get the Burlington, VT DMA locals.

So apparently you must subscribe to the satellite local channels and have the $12.00 service charge. My uncle wants to try out his OTA antenna that is built-in his Winegard Connect 2.0+ 4G LTE + Wifi Extender with TV/FM Antenna unit and not have to pay the local service charge. How do you think that will work out for him? Will he get the local guide at every place he stays for the nite? Since he will not have the DISH local satellite channels, he doesn't have change locals at every different DMA stop with DISH Chat or the DISH App, right?

Last edited:
As I understand it, he will get the OTA guide info for the stations he receives OTA, but I haven't checked on that in some time, nor have I ever checked without having the locals package. Also, if his Dish account is not flagged as an "Outdoor" account, he will not be able to change locals using the app's auto-locating feature, although the app's chat feature will work.

Depending on where you stay in your RV, relying on OTA for Locals is risky. The remote areas that make campgrounds are also remote from OTA towers. Since the digital transition and the change of most OTA channels to the UHF range which has reduced range of transmission, reception has been reduced.

That is why we use Dish Locals so we do get Locals.

As I understand it, he will get the OTA guide info for the stations he receives OTA, but I haven't checked on that in some time, nor have I ever checked without having the locals package. Also, if his Dish account is not flagged as an "Outdoor" account, he will not be able to change locals using the app's auto-locating feature, although the app's chat feature will work.

OK, thanks NYDutch. That clears it up for me. If I was him I would have both Satellite locals and OTA locals. Nice to have a back up in case of bad weather. He has already tried out the Winegard built in Wifi with OTA antenna unit and it works good straight to both TVs. I am thinking of installing a splinter for him so he has both OTA locals straight to the TVs and to the OTA Dual Adapter. He is definitely going with an Outdoor account. I have talked to them for info and I will give him the Outdoor DISH phone number to set up his Wally and start a new account. I will post how goes it with OTA locals without subscribing to the DISH local channels package.

Depending on where you stay in your RV, relying on OTA for Locals is risky. The remote areas that make campgrounds are also remote from OTA towers. Since the digital transition and the change of most OTA channels to the UHF range which has reduced range of transmission, reception has been reduced.

That is why we use Dish Locals so we do get Locals.
Good point. I think having both satellite and OTA locals is the way to go. I will point that out to my uncle. Thanks Brussam.

Nice to have a back up in case of bad weather. He has already tried out the Winegard built in Wifi with OTA antenna unit and it works good straight to both TVs. I am thinking of installing a splinter for him so he has both OTA locals straight to the TVs and to the OTA Dual Adapter. He is definitely going with an Outdoor account. I have talked to them for info and I will give him the Outdoor DISH phone number to set up his Wally and start a new account. I will post how goes it with OTA locals without subscribing to the DISH local channels package.

No need to install a splitter. Even if weather interferes with sat signals, you can still watch OTA channels through the Wally.

Just having an Outdoors account doesn't allow you to change locals using the My Dish app. I have an outdoors account, it's never been anything else since I started service after going full time rv'ing. I still can't change locals through the app.

No need to install a splitter. Even if weather interferes with sat signals, you can still watch OTA channels through the Wally.

Just having an Outdoors account doesn't allow you to change locals using the My Dish app. I have an outdoors account, it's never been anything else since I started service after going full time rv'ing. I still can't change locals through the app.
Understand about the locals going thru the Wally. Thanks, good point. Wonder why you can't change your locals thru your app. The Outdoor DISH folks told me about it and NYDutch uses his app on his smartphone to change DMAs. Maybe uninstall your app and reinstall it again might help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)