DishHD and Dish'n It Up Details

navychop said:
If you lease a car, you pay a large upfront fee, monthly lease fee, and for maintenance & repairs. Why is this concept so repugnant when applied to leasing STBs?

Because at the end of a car lease you can buy this car for whatever has left from it's original cost but you can lease a dish receiver whole life and won't own a single bit of it!

I have never leased anything. If I can't buy it, I go without it till I can. Atleast I might get something back later. There's almost always someone that will buy it used on Ebay. I sold my 5000 w the mod for almost what I paid for it, and that was after 3 years use.

The "large" upfront fee for a car lease is around 10% of the purchase price. Dish is getting over 40% for the 622.

As to repairs on the leased car, you would be paying for standard wear & tear repairs, but the original warranty will cover all defects for 3-4 years. Dish is providing only a one year warranty on the 622.

So compared to a car lease, Dish's 622 lease terms are very unfavorable. No one would ever lease a car under these terms.

Posted on another thread

I was just told by a CSR that the VIP622 deal for $299 ends at the end of April. I was swapping a leased 811 for a leased VIP622. Has anyone else heard this information?

No haven't heard that. But it does say it's a limited time promotion. So maybe after that it's going to be "Good things come to those that wait...Even longer" :D free stuff? :)

navychop said:
If you lease a car, you pay a large upfront fee, monthly lease fee, and for maintenance & repairs. Why is this concept so repugnant when applied to leasing STBs?

I've been doing 3 yr leases on both Ford Expeditions and F150s for years and have never paid any up-front fees other than the 1st month's payment at the time of signing. Neither have I had to pay for any repairs, since they're under complete warranty during the lease periods.

mb1058 said:
I was just told by a CSR that the VIP622 deal for $299 ends at the end of April. I was swapping a leased 811 for a leased VIP622. Has anyone else heard this information?

BFG said:
No haven't heard that. But it does say it's a limited time promotion. So maybe after that it's going to be "Good things come to those that wait...Even longer" :D free stuff? :)

If true, I'm glad it says "end of April". That means that when the $200 rebate deal starts and we FINALLY see what's real and what isn't, we'll still have 30 days of the $299 deal left.

You'll lease a box from cable forever too, without owning it. Same for D*. Maybe it should be called rent.

navychop said:
You'll lease a box from cable forever too, without owning it. Same for D*. Maybe it should be called rent.
You're twisting things around. Perhaps you can call the cable box fee a rental but who's heard of paying 4 years worth of rent up front (300/6=50 months) and, even then, it'd be considered a deposit and you'd get your money back at the end... :D

I live in an area where I can't get HD programming with an antenna. If i upgrade to 622 will I receive ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX HD programming via satellite? If the answer is yes, but only in certain locations, how do I find out if my location is on the list?

No, not right now. Dish is only offering network to those markets they're providing locals to.

If Albuquerque are your locals, then you'll be fine, because they're currently uplinked on the satellite and hopefully should be released to customers sometime in the next couple of weeks

In order to be eligible to swap out a receiver for a 622 and get the $200 rebate after April 1 do I have to swap a certain receiver, such as a 940 series? Or, if I wait until then, can I just swap out my standard 311 or my 811 and still get the $200 rebate?

asmcbride said:
In order to be eligible to swap out a receiver for a 622 and get the $200 rebate after April 1 do I have to swap a certain receiver, such as a 940 series? Or, if I wait until then, can I just swap out my standard 311 or my 811 and still get the $200 rebate?

921 or 942 only.

Currently I have a 625 and a 942.

I was planning on trading the 625 for a 622, to end up with a 942 and a 622. Then I was going to wait until I could replace the 942 later.

Will this work?

I traded a 811 for the 622. Now have the 942 sitting under the 622. Added record time... Going to wait to see what my options are for the 942.

I took the plunge yesterday and called for the upgrade. Trading in my 811 for a 622. All went well with the order. New receiver will arrive within 7-10 days.

When it came time to schedule the install the problems started. First the CSR said nothing was available until May, then said the system was letting her schedule anything. Recommended calling back later for the install appt. Called back later, same problem. This time CSR said to call when the receiver arrives. Called back again later still. This time CSR said a supervisor will call me within 7-10 days to schedule the install. (Yeah right). Guess I have to keep calling. Anyone else experiencing problems getting an install date?

I thought I was beating the rush calling before the April 1 rebates kicked in. Seems the supply is there if they can ship to me in a week, the problem is the installation backlog.

Standard procedure right now. Computer assigns an install date a minimum three weeks from the date of order in most cases (except in certain cases where the dates shoot way out for some reason). The boxes themselves ship out in a minimum of 7-0 days as well.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)