DishNetwork customer with questions about MRV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Zulu

SatelliteGuys Guru
Apr 25, 2008
I'm currently with DishNetwork and have a single 722 in our living room set up to output HD on our HDTV in the living room and a single SD output to all other rooms (4, 2 of which are HDTVs as well). Between the four of us, we really don't run into as many viewing issues as you might think since our two boys are close in age and generally watch the same things together and we don't watch a lot of TV ourselves until they are in bed. But I would like to be able to have a single DVR that would give us HD on our other 2 HDTVs as well.

The big question I can't seem to find an answer to is if DirecTV's MRV DVR will out put from the DVR two different programs to two different TVs at the same time. I keep reading that I can watch any program anywhere and that I can start in one room and finish in another but what if I want to watch one thing in the living room and my wife wants to watch something else in the bedroom? That's the question that needs answering to me.

And of particular question to those that have made the switch from DishNetwork to DirecTV, are there any issues I need to look out for.

Thanks.

if DirecTV's MRV DVR will out put from the DVR two different programs to two different TVs at the same time.

No, it doesn't output two different programs at the same time. It has two satellite tuners, meaning you can watch and record 2 different programs. Record two programs but you can only output to one TV.

I switched from E* back in July and I have no regrets. Granted, you have to learn how to operate the receivers but other than that I haven't had any problems. Also, you want to get their latest HD-DVRs (HR-24s). From what I've read the older models are slow, I got two HR-24s so I can't give you my opinion about the older models.

you will need 2 boxes to watch 2 programs.
the remote box can watch programs recorded on the dvr though
so you can be watching tv on the dvr in the living room, while your wife watches a recorded show in the bedroom, or vice versa.

also the boxes will need an am21 if you get anything ota.
and the d* boxes only record 2 streams at once, your 722 will do 2 sat and 1 ota iirc

as the previous poster mentioned i too have no regret in the swap, i actually prefer som of the features of the hr-24 over the 622 i had

Also note, that you will be limited to needing a box at every tv. So you would need your HDDVR, 2 HD's for your HD TV's and 2 other receivers for your kids. It is not as easy to mirror image tv's with Direct as it is with Dish.

Your kids could share a standard receiver, but you are going to need a second line where the receiver is located. You can't diplex an MRV system.

If you are watching live TV on at least one of the HDTVs, it doesn't matter. You'll be fine. If you are trying to watch 2 different recorded shows, one on the DVR TV and one on a non DVR TV, I think you are fine. If you try watching 2 different recordings from 2 TVs and neither is at the DVR, you might run into problems.

As a side, you can watch as many live feeds on as many TVs as you want. When they are watching live feeds, they are not working through the DVR.

Ok to break it down.

You can watch one show per receiver.
Every D* box on has one output stream.

To get high def on any TV you have to have component or a HDMI cable hooked up.
This in most cases restricts you to having a receiver at the TV or buying long and quite costly cables.

DVR can only share a recorded show with 1 remote unit at a time.
This means it can be watched on the DVR and one remote unit but not 2 remote units.
However, this is really not a draw back as if multiple people are watching the same show, they are usually doing it in the same room.

Only draw back to MRV is no pausing, rewinding, etc live feeds on non DVR units (you can on recorded shows).

Over all, it is a far superior system then Dish Networks dual room receiver.

If you are watching live TV on at least one of the HDTVs, it doesn't matter. You'll be fine. If you are trying to watch 2 different recorded shows, one on the DVR TV and one on a non DVR TV, I think you are fine. If you try watching 2 different recordings from 2 TVs and neither is at the DVR, you might run into problems.

As a side, you can watch as many live feeds on as many TVs as you want. When they are watching live feeds, they are not working through the DVR.

Ok, thanks. This is what I was trying to get at. I already that that you needed a box at each tv and that you could watch live content separately on each tv which really isn't an issue for us. Almost all our live TV is watched in the living room. It seems it's always some recording in the other rooms.

OK, based on what I see that you wrote:

I can watch a recorded event in the living room (where the DVR will be) while the kids watch a different recorded event in the playroom.

BUT the kids can't watch a recorded event in the playroom while I watch a recorded event in our bedroom.

As long as the first part is right, I think we will be just fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Help Getting Local Channels

2011 NFLST regular season prices

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)