DishNetwork Newbie Questions

WyrTwister

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
I ordered a used receiver over the internet , from Amazon.com . I have never had Dish , former DTV subscriber . I also play with FTA .

I have some questions I hope you all can help me with , please .

Even if the previous owner has zero ballance owed against the receiver , will I have to buy or get new card from Dish ? Or will they aurthorize the existing card ?

Since I will have purchased the receiver , will I pay less per month than if I was leasing the receiver .

I have several DTV dishes . Can I use them ? DTV was aimed at 101 . Dish is on 2 sats ? Can I use 2 DTV dishes and a Diesque switch , like on FTA ? or a 22 khz switch ?

Thanks , :)
Wyr

WyrTwister said:
Even if the previous owner has zero ballance owed against the receiver , will I have to buy or get new card from Dish ? Or will they aurthorize the existing card ?
if the card is blue, then yes. If its yellow, then no. I just activated a 811 for a new account and the box was someone else's. Called them up and they activated it (the 811 has the card built in)

Since I will have purchased the receiver , will I pay less per month than if I was leasing the receiver .
I always thought the lease fee was in the price but I could be wrong. I have always owned my equipment

I have several DTV dishes . Can I use them ? DTV was aimed at 101 . Dish is on 2 sats ? Can I use 2 DTV dishes and a Diesque switch , like on FTA ? or a 22 khz switch ?

Wyr
yes you can use the 2 dishes but the switches aren't compatible. Need a SW21 switch to combine the 2 DirecTV dishes.

Iceberg said:
if the card is blue, then yes. If its yellow, then no. I just activated a 811 for a new account and the box was someone else's. Called them up and they activated it (the 811 has the card built in)

I always thought the lease fee was in the price but I could be wrong. I have always owned my equipment

yes you can use the 2 dishes but the switches aren't compatible. Need a SW21 switch to combine the 2 DirecTV dishes.

Do not know what card it will have in it .

What do they do with the cardless receivers whan they have a card change ?

Wyr

WyrTwister said:
Do not know what card it will have in it .

What do they do with the cardless receivers whan they have a card change ?

Wyr
If the receiver was active until recently it will have a yellow card, if it has been over a year since it was active it may have a blue card. If it hasn't been active for a long time the card may not be the problem but old software could be. Unlike D* DISH sends out a lot of software upgrades and after a certain point old receivers have problems updating. The receivers designed with a smart card built into the circuitry have a slot for updated cards. Receivers just being sold without cards cost you money to buy a replacement.:)

Unlike D* DISH sends out a lot of software upgrades and after a certain point old receivers have problems updating
I just updated an old 3700 that was a good year + behind on updates. Took it right away :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts