DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 5/22/2008 4:09pm - 49 changes

I count about 12 channels that were announced on last Charlie CHat & haven't launched yet.

AMC,BET,CMT,HBO2 ,IFC,MTV,MOReMax, NIckelodeon,STarz edge,VH1,WGN

So the other 8 channels must be the FOX family of channels we are missing.

I count about 12 channels that were announced on last Charlie CHat & haven't launched yet.

or the HBO suite in HD

Among those other 8 channels might be 2 others that Scott dropped some hints about earlier in the week (one of them being perhaps the most requested channel since SciFi and USA launched). :)

or a mix of them both. Since the whole Voom fiasco, I would not hold my breathe on AMC and IFC... further, has BET HD launched yet? Kill off those three and that could give room for 4 fox channels and 7 home box's (or 4 HBOs and 3 more RSNs?)

Just wonder what the "take" on adding premium channels HD? They are seriously "pay for". I have all of them myself but suspect, may be in the minority. So based on the posts over VOOM, what kind of fallout will this bring.

Just a thought.

If E* puts up new HD channels on the TPs that Voom used, and this leads to no room for Voom to be re-added. Then that sure puts the pressure on Voom NOW to settle this issue, or else the ship will have sailed without them. If Dish fills up 61.5, then Voom will have to wait until another Eastern Arc slot opens up for them.

This might just be a negotiating ploy with Voom if they are currently in talks.

Walk away while you still have the chance. Unless you NEED to have the channels that D* has available right now, you'll regret the decision. Go with the company that has the best technology. E* has the best DVR in the 722, and is still pursuing bigger and better technology. When the deal is right, Charlie will add new channels.

The end game of this is who will have the best equipment, and from what little I know, that's Dish. The channels will eventually equalize, the technology won't.

My two cents.

I agree! I think they are both getting very close to the point of having most of the HD channels that are available to uplink. Soon, it could be that they are both waiting for more HD channels to be available. Wouldn't that be a nice problem to have.. (not really :rolleyes:) I guess at that point, they would then be soley focused on the HD LILs, with the occasional National HD here and there as they are made available by the broadcasters.

I think at this point, it will be a choice made on Technology, and whether or not someone's locals are available in HD.

thanks guys. i just canceled the D install. i'll stay put here and not mess with this anymore.

Just a thought.

If E* puts up new HD channels on the TPs that Voom used, and this leads to no room for Voom to be re-added. Then that sure puts the pressure on Voom NOW to settle this issue, or else the ship will have sailed without them. If Dish fills up 61.5, then Voom will have to wait until another Eastern Arc slot opens up for them.

Well, hope springs eternal. :) I'd like to see Voom back, too (though in an abbreviated form) and it seemed Dish did, too, since they kept the channels uplinked for a time after removing them from the tables. But with this activity, it seems like any talks have stalled or Dish and Voom aren't talking at all anymore and are content to let the courts decide later in the year. Meanwhile, Dish is proceeding with their plans.

Just a thought.

and to further add to this note... It could also put more pressure on VOOM to allow only the addition of the -5- VOOM channels they were thinking about keeping. E* could simply say, look..... we no longer have the room available like before... we are willing to make room for -5- of the channels to return. VOOM really could be put in the situation to make a decision to live or die.

I just checked the streams and nothing is airing on them yet, infact its all jus tone big null packet.

Retailer Chat starts in less then a half hour, I dont think we will hear anything about what may be going up here.

thanks guys. i just canceled the D install. i'll stay put here and not mess with this anymore.

I think it was a good decision, I would have done the same thing... even if it takes a few weeks for E* to actually make the channels available (whatever they may be).. and even if we start to see DirecTV make moves with their new sat going online.

I think it will be a very good sign if E* adds 20 new HD Channels... just a couple of weeks after adding 25 other HD Channels.. even if they did remove the 15 VOOM channels... (it's a good swap in my opinion). Especially if some of the channels are the FOX owned channels. To me, this would be a huge sign that E* is being aggressive to get agreements made.

I think it was a good decision, I would have done the same thing... even if it takes a few weeks for E* to actually make the channels available (whatever they may be).. and even if we start to see DirecTV make moves with their new sat going online.

I think it will be a very good sign if E* adds 20 new HD Channels... just a couple of weeks after adding 25 other HD Channels.. even if they did remove the 15 VOOM channels... (it's a good swap in my opinion). Especially if some of the channels are the FOX owned channels. To me, this would be a huge sign that E* is being aggressive to get agreements made.

well put!:up

Let's just hope that they aren't like the 40+ channels that you have to subscribe to some obscure part-time sports package to get as it seems to be on the other side of the fence.

IF comedy central puts HD clips of some of their shows on their website,why is it there still isn't a comedycentral HD channel?

I was just thinking the other day that if dish could somehow find the bandwith to add 20 channel rather than just replacing the 15 Voom ones it would be quite the marketing coup...

...according to the way both dish Network and DirecTV now count HD channels, this would put dish at 101, would it not.

It could be HUGE for Charlie to start a..."First provider to 100 HD Channels" campaign...especially after all of the HD Leader press Direct's been able to get for the past year...

If Directv counted like DISH they have over 115 already.

Dang, looks like we'll have to keep waiting to see what these temp hd's are since nothing was mention on the retailer chat :(.
No excitement for the Memorial Day weekend.

After the Meet & Greet, Scott commented:

Regarding new HD.

New HD is coming and from the looks of it within the next month. A lot of folks will be happy as a number of channels that people have been requesting are going to launch. I really wish I could name the channels, but all of the deals are not 100% done yet. They don't want to blow what they got working for them, and I can respect that.

I will say that when I hear more rumblings from outside the executive realm then I will be able to post what I think is coming. I just want to make sure the ink is dry before I start flapping my lips. :)

Thanks for your understanding.

Considering that old news report that the problem with dish financially is that dish was basically "slumming" it and going after the low-rent type of customers, it is possible that Charlie wants to snag back some customers who really want Premium movie channels in HD. A big HD Premiums offering would help to snag up some $100+/month type of customers. Those same customers would definitely want the HD-DVRs like the 722 or even some of these new receivers they debuted at Team Summit.

I agree, a lot of those 20 HDs might be the premium HDs, they sure sell for much more than VOOM:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts