DISHOnline testing legit?

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
I just received an e-mail asking for a DISH Network account number from a gmail.com address. This seems rather suspicious though I did sign up for a DISHOnline beta test. Does anyone know whether or not this is legitimate?:confused:

DishNet wouldn't have any reason to ask for your account number. And they certainly wouldn't send an email from a gmail account.

Sounds like a scam to me. Out of curiosity, what was the email offering?

I wouldn't be giving any information to a gmail address. In fact, I wouldn't be giving any information to a dish address. They already know the account number....

don't ask don't tell

I just received an e-mail asking for a DISH Network account number from a gmail.com address. This seems rather suspicious though I did sign up for a DISHOnline beta test. Does anyone know whether or not this is legitimate?:confused:

E* doesn't ask for your acct # they already have it. So don't give it. They didn't ask me when I was asked to be a beta tester.

Got the same one and thought the same exact thing... no way am I sending my info to a gmail account. Nice to see they didn't BCC either....

Here's the email..........don't use reply to all??? they knew they were sending it out non-bcc... doh!!!!

Hello,

Thank you for showing interest to be part of DISHOnline Beta. Unfortunately, we have not been able to find your DISH Network account number with the information you provided. Please reply to this email (do not use reply all) with your DISH Network account number so that we can add you to the Beta database. You can find your account number on your monthly bill or by logging on to Satellite TV - HD Satellite Television - DISH 1.800.823.4929 and going to My Account.

Thanks,

The DISHOnline Team

I got it too and it is definitely very fishy. I too did sign up for the beta but hadn't yet received an ivite. Wondering if they didn't get hacked and some sensitive information got released. Bummer.

Just received it also, beings it was sent to the same email as my account I questioned it immediately. Then I saw that it was a gmail account and that was two strikes, came to the forums and see I am not the only one. I will wait for proof before sending....

I got the same email, too. Maybe someone with Dish contacts should forward this. If they have my email, they should be able to find my account number.

real email

The real email comes stating this: Exclusive Invitation From DISH Network?. It comes from this acct. :dishnetwork@dishnetworkmail.com :up. It is a very fancy email full of HTML pix.

I just got it too. It was sent to one of the two emails I used to request an invite to DishOnline. The other email address hasn't gotten anything yet. But I have noticed an uptick in SPAM to the first email address in the past couple weeks including several to sign up for Dish service.

Great now I'm getting email from people who hit reply all!!!!

Oops..... I hit reply to all. ;) ;) Of course I didn't send my acct#

Was this you:
First of all if this was a real request it wouldn't be going to a gmail
account. This has the words SCAM written all over it.

Secondly, it would have been sent out in a BCC type email. You proved you
weren't going to send it BCC by saying do not use reply to all.

Oooopps... I hit reply to all.

Oops..... I hit reply to all. ;) ;) Of course I didn't send my acct#

Maybe you should intentionally hit "Reply To All" and warn everyone else that got this email that the whole thing is a scam.

A legitimate company would never send a group email like that -- everyone would get an individual message that doesn't reveal other subscribers' email addresses. This is obviously a scam, no question. It's just another phishing attempt.

The obvious red flags:
* Sending out a group email that reveals a bunch of other subscribers' email addresses.
* An email asking for your account information.
* Using a free public e-mail service instead of a company-owned domain name.

The only typical phishing red flag they missed is the typical atrocious spelling.

It's a scam, pure and simple.

I have a feeling it was legit.. but someone should have used BCC. I recognize about 80% of the email addresses and names on the list.

What I find strange is I am already using DISHONLINE without issues...

I have a feeling it was legit.. but someone should have used BCC. I recognize about 80% of the email addresses and names on the list.

What I find strange is I am already using DISHONLINE without issues...

Why would the message come from a gmail account? This just screams phishing attempt.

Maybe you should intentionally hit "Reply To All" and warn everyone else that got this email that the whole thing is a scam.

A legitimate company would never send a group email like that -- everyone would get an individual message that doesn't reveal other subscribers' email addresses. This is obviously a scam, no question. It's just another phishing attempt.

The obvious red flags:
* Sending out a group email that reveals a bunch of other subscribers' email addresses.
* An email asking for your account information.
* Using a free public e-mail service instead of a company-owned domain name.

The only typical phishing red flag they missed is the typical atrocious spelling.

It's a scam, pure and simple.

My exact thoughts on the red flags... 10 kinds of wrong with that email. So I had to hit reply to all with my thoughts ;)