Dish’s Ergen Scraps Blockbuster Plans After Wireless Delays

I had hoped the best for the BB purchase but,I honestly didn't think it would work.Anyone that's been paying attention to all the BB complaints on these forums probably knew the end was near.

gpollock87 said:
And i don't like this one bit! will the BB@home channels take the old platinum name back?

Or they may split them into other packages. I wish Retroplex and Indieplex were in the Encore package anyways.

I would like to know the date this is going to happen so i can fire up netflix and add my BB queue over there.

No clue,just keep it tuned to satguys is all I can offer.;) If I had to guess I would say by the end of the year,just a guess keep in mind.

When you are there take a look at that photo of Charlie... he wasn't that grey when I saw him a few months ago!

Hope the stress is not getting to him!

Maybe the ongoing AutoHop and Voom battle is...

Well I see Blockbuster going bye bye for good. I said all along that DISH doesn't have the patience or the fortitude to keep a disc by mail service going and the streaming portion won't make it now either. Another opportunity dropped by DISH. Looks like the wireless idea is now gone too. What does that leave DISH now? Still satellite tv and only satellite tv. I think Charlie will now pivot to his internet only service for ala cart . Now I don't see it working any better than the other two ideas he has now scuttled. Especially since he has disputes with just about every company out there .

Ya, but look at this quote from page 2 of the article:
The company has other plans for Blockbuster on which Ergen declined to comment. Dish has spent “a lot of time” talking with cable networks about an Internet streaming service for live programming, although the service is probably still “years away,” Ergen said.

Online streaming of movies or live channels isn't going to be happening anytime soon. Which is a shame because I think there still was life in the Blockbuster brand when the bought it, but like someone else here said. There's just too pieces that need to fall into place in order to have this mythical Dish wireless streaming video service to really come from fruition. What should have been done with Blockbuster was renew whatever deals that were needed to get a streaming service working. Keep the DVDs-by-mail arm going to cover movies that don't make it as quickly to the streaming side of the service, and them open those two things up to other non-Dish devices like Roku, Boxee, AppleTV, and SmartTVs. Get the combined Dish/Blockbuster brand out there in front of as many eyes as you can, and try to lure them into buying satellite TV services from you.

Last edited:
With having a blockbuster very close to my home the blockbuster package is a good value for me with exchanges, if that does go away will for sure not have the same value anymore....I guess lets see what happens with blockbuster in the future

I believe I may be interpreting the article differently. I do not see anywhere where it says they are going to stop Blockbuster@Home or DVD by mail. It just means that Dish has decided to not expand Blockbuster into a full fledged competitor for Netflix. BB@H I believe will still live on. They just expanded and made it available to Puerto Rico subs so my interpretation of the article to me does not sound like BB@H is going away.

rocket69 said:
Shame shame. BB could be a great part of DN to bad they just dont know how to manage it. Every time i go into one the counter guy is just chatting up some woman or playing on there phone.

Well, duh, there's nothing more hip or popular to the ladies than the guy working the counter at a local video store. ;)

The little guy at the local McDonald's has twice asked college girls on dates while I've been waiting on my order. Out of curiosity, I asked him one day how many he had asked out while working there and his response was: "Well, umm... I don't know... Shoot!!... I'd say close to 100."

Shame shame. BB could be a great part of DN to bad they just dont know how to manage it. Every time i go into one the counter guy is just chatting up some woman or playing on there phone.

When I usually go our BB its earlier in the day so it's quiet, the employees are polite and helpful. I do wonder about how the people feel about working there with all that has gone on the past few years

Sounds like he just wants to wait and buy Netflix.

TheKrell said:
Did any of them accept?

Nope. Not the first one. He was still doing it according to my Dad - he's retired and out there every morning for coffee and sports / political talk. My Dad asked him and he said he was down on his luck. Wouldn't take so many rejections for me to figure that out.

What is happening to DISH?

1. Disney dispute: resulted in a loss of HD channels. No end of dispute in site.
2. Dropped AMC and IFC.
3. Has not added any dissent channels, SD or HD. The one I know of is BeIn Sports but that one is HD rebroadcast in SD quality.
4. Now dropping DVD by mail. I liked that feature not sure what do now, certainly do not want to go back to Netflix.

I have been with Dish for 8 years and now starting to loose hope.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)