Dish’s Ergen Scraps Blockbuster Plans After Wireless Delays

Suppafreak said:
What is happening to DISH?

1. Disney dispute: resulted in a loss of HD channels. No end of dispute in site.
2. Dropped AMC and IFC.
3. Has not added any dissent channels, SD or HD. The one I know of is BeIn Sports but that one is HD rebroadcast in SD quality.
4. Now dropping DVD by mail. I liked that feature not sure what do now, certainly do not want to go back to Netflix.

I have been with Dish for 8 years and now starting to loose hope.

They are 14 million strong not going any where.

What is happening to DISH?

1. Disney dispute: resulted in a loss of HD channels. No end of dispute in site.
2. Dropped AMC and IFC.
3. Has not added any dissent channels, SD or HD. The one I know of is BeIn Sports but that one is HD rebroadcast in SD quality.
4. Now dropping DVD by mail. I liked that feature not sure what do now, certainly do not want to go back to Netflix.

I have been with Dish for 8 years and now starting to loose hope.

I just wonder how much longer Netflix will be doing movies by mail....sign of the times if you ask me. Real walk-in video stores are becoming a thing of the past next will be by mail, unless you order one to keep. I know everyone still don't have HSI, but companies don't care. I agree with you on Netflix, I have them and Amazon Prime.....I get so pissed at Netflix streaming....I have no problems with Amazon and it is cheaper than netflix and has all I have wanted so far. Will be dropping Netflix at end of month......ok I know off topic....so back to topic..:)

I had already said in the past I don't see Blockbuster physical stores lasting past the end of this year or possibly the beginning months of next year. At the rate that Charlie is getting into just about every dispute he can with just about every company out there, I don't see DISH having a very bright future. The hopper had a lot of promise, but I don't see the auto hop feature lasting . If all the local channels pull the same crap as Gannet is doing , then I don't see there being much use for auto hop on a market with no local channels. No matter Charlie is looking so old lately. I'm kind of surprised he hasn't pulled whats left of his hair out over all these different problems.

Dish’s Ergen Scraps Blockbuster Plans After Wireless Delays
By Alex Sherman on October 04, 2012

Billionaire Charlie Ergen is giving up on his plan to turn the once-mighty Blockbuster LLC video- store chain into a Netflix (NFLX) Inc. competitor and retail outlet.

When Ergen’s Dish Network Corp. (DISH) acquired Blockbuster out of bankruptcy in April 2011, Ergen planned to use the stores to sell Dish mobile devices that could be used to stream Blockbuster movies. The plans broke down when U.S. regulators didn’t immediately approve a waiver allowing Dish to use its satellite spectrum for terrestrial data and voice transmission.

“You make a lot of mistakes in business,” Ergen, Dish’s founder and chairman, said in an interview yesterday. “I don’t think Blockbuster is going to be a mistake, but it’s unclear if that’s going to be a transformative decision.”

Read the rest at http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...craps-blockbuster-plans-after-wireless-delays

Something tells me if it wasn't Charlie wanting this to happen, it would have happened. Charlie has kicked many sleeping dogs in his time. The law of probability says he has been bitten once or twice.

Personally, and sadly, this may be the beginning of the 'last straw' towards my "cut the cord" impulse...

$80/mo for decreasing channel lineups and now prospect of the DVD-by-mail/channel BB bundling, which was the real quantifiable 'value proposition' left in the cable sphere imho. I've been w/ DISH since the VOOM days, love 'em, the DVRs have been rock solid and I like Charlie and respect the company. They have proven they 'get it' w/ Sling (I had two Slingboxes before Dish bought in) and the Hopper et al...

But w/ Amazon Prime being "free" and ubiquitous on our network devices, and having to go elsewhere for disc-by-mail, which is mandatory in my house for a host of reasons--I might find it impossible to justify subscription TV vs going 'a la carte' on Hulu/iTunes etc for a couple of shows I really want to follow 'in season'. The money our tight family budget would save could go to Blu-ray previous seasons of shows (season 4 of Fringe, anyone?), and things like, oh, food.

If only E* could indeed break the mold, get true 'a la carte' onto their set-tops, unlock OTA from their sub service and let existing sat subs go internet only on a cut rate...then they could keep a toe-hold in the inevitable next horizon and my subscription fees. I suggested they re-brand their set-tops 'Echo' boxes and lose the satellite inference...the Hopper was a start, Roku could be next. But when?

Sigh. Sorry, this just makes me melancholy...I felt the same way when my local BB shuttered its doors. The manager knew me and my 4yr-old son by sight, and she almost broke into tears on the last day, said she'd miss seeing us come in for the next video 'treat'. I don't like 'convenience' steamrollering over quality and full experience, not to mention flesh-and-blood people in the retail equation (yeah, I said it--and yeah, I miss record and book stores too, even though I'm also an Amazon fan--because value is what it is, especially in these tight/trying times). Apologize for the rant, but really don't know where this is pointing folks like me at this time...maybe others here are thinking the same thing.

shanewalker said:
Personally, and sadly, this may be the beginning of the 'last straw' towards my "cut the cord" impulse...

$80/mo for decreasing channel lineups and now prospect of the DVD-by-mail/channel BB bundling, which was the real quantifiable 'value proposition' left in the cable sphere imho. I've been w/ DISH since the VOOM days, love 'em, the DVRs have been rock solid and I like Charlie and respect the company. They have proven they 'get it' w/ Sling (I had two Slingboxes before Dish bought in) and the Hopper et al...

But w/ Amazon Prime being "free" and ubiquitous on our network devices, and having to go elsewhere for disc-by-mail, which is mandatory in my house for a host of reasons--I might find it impossible to justify subscription TV vs going 'a la carte' on Hulu/iTunes etc for a couple of shows I really want to follow 'in season'. The money our tight family budget would save could go to Blu-ray previous seasons of shows (season 4 of Fringe, anyone?), and things like, oh, food.

If only E* could indeed break the mold, get true 'a la carte' onto their set-tops, unlock OTA from their sub service and let existing sat subs go internet only on a cut rate...then they could keep a toe-hold in the inevitable next horizon and my subscription fees. I suggested they re-brand their set-tops 'Echo' boxes and lose the satellite inference...the Hopper was a start, Roku could be next. But when?

Sigh. Sorry, this just makes me melancholy...I felt the same way when my local BB shuttered its doors. The manager knew me and my 4yr-old son by sight, and she almost broke into tears on the last day, said she'd miss seeing us come in for the next video 'treat'. I don't like 'convenience' steamrollering over quality and full experience, not to mention flesh-and-blood people in the retail equation (yeah, I said it--and yeah, I miss record and book stores too, even though I'm also an Amazon fan--because value is what it is, especially in these tight/trying times). Apologize for the rant, but really don't know where this is pointing folks like me at this time...maybe others here are thinking the same thing.

What i never got was...charlie wants to have the blockbuster on demand on the 722 922 and I think the hopper...but with Bs movies. Why not include them new releases, that redbox....blockbuster (the site...and dishonline version have) right on my 922...available to watch...like the other blockbuster movies. People would really go for that. If they can add 3,000+ movies as a on demand feature...and have the rights to new dvds...due to owning blockbuster...why not let us,watch it right there? Why do I have to wait on a dvd in the mail? Perhaps its because its stuff like that...that goes on channel 1 vod..idk. just seems they could raise the price $5.00 more a month...to allow them new dvds as a stream as well.

That does make sense. They are running two competing services. They expect people to use their PPV and VOD while subscribing to Blockbuster. I know that since I'm paying for BB@Home, I won't go and order a movie on PPV or VOD. $15 for two discs by mail, or $6.99 an order for one HD movie? Which brings in more revenue?

That was my issue with the servicewhen it came out. They lewd people to believe it was a great streaming service through the receivers. However at the release it was not actually streaming yet and the movies did not change. They only changed the name from platinum to blockbuster. If they would have added a true blockbuster streaming service on the receivers it would be much more popular.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

I have always though of the Blockbuster Movie Pass as a nice bonus, you got access to more movies and the ability to have a disc out at a time.

It has always been like gravy on your mashed potatoes for me. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have always though of the Blockbuster Movie Pass as a nice bonus, you got access to more movies and the ability to have a disc out at a time.

Ummm.....gravy :)

Hopefully the keep in going in some form

Scott Greczkowski said:

But you didn't get more movies, they were the same as you got with the platinum and the disc at a time was a joke with everything having a long wait. Combined with the fact that I no longer have a store within like 400 miles, just not worth it. Now my experience with the bb pack is based on initial release. I had it when the change happened and dropped it after a month. It could have gotten better since then.

And... Mmmm pillowy mounds of mashed potatoes. :)

But you didn't get more movies, they were the same as you got with the platinum and the disc at a time was a joke with everything having a long wait. Combined with the fact that I no longer have a store within like 400 miles, just not worth it. Now my experience with the bb pack is based on initial release. I had it when the change happened and dropped it after a month. It could have gotten better since then.

Scott's point was, if you already had it and were paying $10 you got additional feature for no extra cost. If you didn't like the Blockbuster part you didn't have to use it, you still went on with your same service. Even if the movie in the mail part didn't work well it was still an additional feature for no extra charge. It's terrible getting more for money isn't it?

Scherrman said:
Scott's point was, if you already had it and were paying $10 you got additional feature for no extra cost. If you didn't like the Blockbuster part you didn't have to use it, you still went on with your same service. Even if the movie in the mail part didn't work well it was still an additional feature for no extra charge. It's terrible getting more for money isn't it?

I get that, but the implementation of bb compared to the possibilities of what it could have been leaves much to be desired. In addition, you miss my point. Bb was promoted as adding more movies when that was just not true. I agree that adding the disk at home to it was a nice bonus to some, but with it's limitations it's just not for everyone.

And... Mmmm pillowy mounds of mashed potatoes. :)

Here recently i have been getting long wait and very long wait movies. i mailed 2 discs back monday and got 2 in the mail yesterday. delivery time has really sped up for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts