Dish’s Ergen Scraps Blockbuster Plans After Wireless Delays

Here is a copy of the message the Dish supposedly sent stating that BB is available now in Puerto Rico and the USVI. It came from a local Dish reseller.

From Dish

October 1, 2012
We have great news for DISH customers and Retailers in Puerto Rico and
the U.S. Virgin Islands!
Effective October 1, 2012, the Blockbuster @Home add-on package
will be available for customers in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin
Islands to add to their DISH TV service for $10.00/mo.!
Blockbuster @Home gives customers access to over 100,000 movie and
TV show titles that they can get delivered right to their door, as well as 11
linear channels right on their TV!
Customers can also get thousands of titles streamed directly to their
Broadband-connected HD DVR receiver. A Broadband-connected HD DVR
receiver allows customers to experience the full benefits of Blockbuster
@Home; however, customers with HD or SD non-DVR receivers can still
subscribe to this package.

Would not be the first time that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

That might sound good, but where are you going to pick up EPIX Networks and many others in HD, remember HD. Not in our 119/110/61.5 configuration. If they were free of charge I would not watch them in Standard Def. If you know any other way, I am all ears. Please let us know.

The Fat Man said:
That does make sense. They are running two competing services. They expect people to use their PPV and VOD while subscribing to Blockbuster. I know that since I'm paying for BB@Home, I won't go and order a movie on PPV or VOD. $15 for two discs by mail, or $6.99 an order for one HD movie? Which brings in more revenue?

Seems like maybe more subscribers period, if they where known as the company that streamed there "new to dvd" videos for an extra $5.00 a month. No other provider does that. They already do as well...but u gotta wait for a disc to come in the mail...

I wonder if the only BB left in a year or so will be the kiosks outside speedway etc..? Any one know if NCR got a court order or something?

I wonder if the only BB left in a year or so will be the kiosks outside speedway etc..? Any one know if NCR got a court order or something?
Don't quite understand your question, But Redbox bought them (NCR) out.

READ THE ARTICLE!

Set sweat pumps to slow. Reset the panic breaker.

The article says NOTHING about shutting down the DVDs by mail. It specifically says that some rural stores, at least, will remain open. It simply says he can no longer afford to keep open all the stores to one day sell phones. And BTW, when AT&T adopted GSM, everybody got new cell phones. Want LTE? Get a new cell phone. People get new cell phones all the time. Nothing new about getting a new cell phone to work on additional frequencies.

Don't run around with your hair on fire.

Mfinchv1 said:
Seems like maybe more subscribers period, if they where known as the company that streamed there "new to dvd" videos for an extra $5.00 a month. No other provider does that. They already do as well...but u gotta wait for a disc to come in the mail...

You make sense, but two things. First, how much will they need to kick back to the movie studios, considering it would hurt DVD and Blu-ray sales. Second, with that in mind, is it easier to keep the PPV/VOD service and kill off Blockbuster? My guess, Charlie knew the movie studios would bury him alive if he put new releases streaming on Roku or Dish receivers.

You make sense, but two things. First, how much will they need to kick back to the movie studios, considering it would hurt DVD and Blu-ray sales. Second, with that in mind, is it easier to keep the PPV/VOD service and kill off Blockbuster? My guess, Charlie knew the movie studios would bury him alive if he put new releases streaming on Roku or Dish receivers.

No burying needed, they just won't contractually let him do it.

The problem with that lies with one of the reasons Blockbuster is where it is at now and will never rival Netflix: requires a heavy investment in the company to pull off.

Also, the ability to stream BD/DVDs day of release buffet-style would probably be a $50+/month type of service, not $5.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Fat, your conjecture is just that...and getting a bit over the top. YOU, me and NOBODY on this forum REALLY knows anything about the subject.

READ THE ARTICLE!

The article says NOTHING about shutting down the DVDs by mail. It specifically says that some rural stores, at least, will remain open. It simply says he can no longer afford to keep open all the stores to one day sell phones. And BTW, when AT&T adopted GSM, everybody got new cell phones. Want LTE? Get a new cell phone. People get new cell phones all the time. Nothing new about getting a new cell phone to work on additional frequencies.

what does "Dish no longer has plans to use Blockbuster as a nationwide video streaming or DVD-by-mail service, Ergen said." mean then?

KAB said:
Fat, your conjecture is just that...and getting a bit over the top. YOU, me and NOBODY on this forum REALLY knows anything about the subject.

You make me sound like I'm being over the top. But let's be serious. Fact is movie studios won't let Dish just stream new releases.

Last edited:
There were many who DID NOT get more for their money . The DVD's never were shipped, and it has been stated that the on-demand movie selection did not increase and the streaming did not work.

So, what exactly MORE did they get?

Regardless if you got more out of it or not you still didn't have to pay more and you certainly didn't get less.

READ THE ARTICLE!

I could be wrong here but my recollection is that I was offred an upgrade at a good price but I was not just givena new phone.

I checked into netflix and you have to pay for streaming if you don't want streaming. that is not right.

I see that complaint sometimes popping up on Netflix-related forums, and the poster is usually told to phone a CSR and verbally request rental-DVD service only. Sometimes instead the poster is told to order both services through the website, and then immediately cancel the streaming service. Apparently Netflix doesn't prevent DVD-only subscriptions; it just doesn't encourage them.

Personally, and sadly, this may be the beginning of the 'last straw' towards my "cut the cord" impulse...

$80/mo for decreasing channel lineups and now prospect of the DVD-by-mail/channel BB bundling, which was the real quantifiable 'value proposition' left in the cable sphere imho. I've been w/ DISH since the VOOM days, love 'em, the DVRs have been rock solid and I like Charlie and respect the company. They have proven they 'get it' w/ Sling (I had two Slingboxes before Dish bought in) and the Hopper et al...

But w/ Amazon Prime being "free" and ubiquitous on our network devices, and having to go elsewhere for disc-by-mail, which is mandatory in my house for a host of reasons--I might find it impossible to justify subscription TV vs going 'a la carte' on Hulu/iTunes etc for a couple of shows I really want to follow 'in season'. The money our tight family budget would save could go to Blu-ray previous seasons of shows (season 4 of Fringe, anyone?), and things like, oh, food.

If only E* could indeed break the mold, get true 'a la carte' onto their set-tops, unlock OTA from their sub service and let existing sat subs go internet only on a cut rate...then they could keep a toe-hold in the inevitable next horizon and my subscription fees. I suggested they re-brand their set-tops 'Echo' boxes and lose the satellite inference...the Hopper was a start, Roku could be next. But when?

Sigh. Sorry, this just makes me melancholy...I felt the same way when my local BB shuttered its doors. The manager knew me and my 4yr-old son by sight, and she almost broke into tears on the last day, said she'd miss seeing us come in for the next video 'treat'. I don't like 'convenience' steamrollering over quality and full experience, not to mention flesh-and-blood people in the retail equation (yeah, I said it--and yeah, I miss record and book stores too, even though I'm also an Amazon fan--because value is what it is, especially in these tight/trying times). Apologize for the rant, but really don't know where this is pointing folks like me at this time...maybe others here are thinking the same thing.
This deserves a bump.

I see that complaint sometimes popping up on Netflix-related forums, and the poster is usually told to phone a CSR and verbally request rental-DVD service only. Sometimes instead the poster is told to order both services through the website, and then immediately cancel the streaming service. Apparently Netflix doesn't prevent DVD-only subscriptions; it just doesn't encourage them.
thanks! i'll see what goes on with BB.

This deserves a bump.

I do apologize to the thread for the long 'rant'...discovering the news just felt like a gut punch and wanted to unload a bit.

Anyone care to school me on the Roku 'perk' concept if BB goes away? And any idea if an net Set-top/App ecosystem is truly in the cards for Dish...I'd gladly keep giving my money to Ergen if so, it's just becoming my family's preferred way of getting content thanks to Xbox/PS3. Links are good too...

Danke,
Shane

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)