Dishstore - can't buy receiver????

skierrob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Called Dishstore.net to purchase a new or even refurb 211 receiver if they had one. Or a 211K if they didn't still have a 211 at a decent price.

So I called them this morning and spoke with a random agent on the phone and was told that since I was already an existing customer I would have to call "dish network customer service" at 800-894-9131 to add a new receiver to my account. I told him I just wanted to buy a 211 outright and he again said "you have to call customer service" insistently for a second and third time. I reiterated that I didn't want to lease a receiver -- I wanted to buy one. He said "you still have to call customer service....."

Does Dishstore.net no longer sell receivers to existing customers of Dish Network? Did I get some total newb salesman? Or what is going on?

Does Claude still hang out in here? Would love it if I might be able to get help from someone at Dishstore.net. ;)

I would just order from the website, but was hoping to get an actual 211 if there was one hanging around the store at a better price instead of getting a 211K.

Thanks!

Sometimes when the phone lines at DISHstore are busy it transfers you to "Satellite Sales" which is an external call center for signing up for DISH Network.

If you hear a recording telling you "Thank you for calling Satellite Sales" then hang up and try again in a little while and you will get someone at DISHstore. :)

I just got a brand new leased 211k from directly from Dish for $50. Besides avoiding a new 2 yr commitment, why is buying preferable to leasing? You still have to pay the same monthly fee don't you?

Biggest advantage is if you have a big home theater setup that you can hoook things up yourself instead of having someone come in and possibly mess your stuff up. :)

I understand. I had already run all the cables, so when the Dish installer came, all he did was hand me the box and I did all the connections. I didn't give him much choice, but he had no problem sitting back and watching me do everything. Install went very quick and nothing got messed up. So I saved $70 and got a free HDMI cable out of the deal. The tech did do the DishComm setup for me which I had no idea even existed.

I used to buy all my equipment when I had DirecTV, but that was only because I didn't want the commitment. As a new Dish sub, I'm stuck in a commitment anyway, so re-upping now wasn't a big deal.

Where can I buy Dish receivers other than Dish directly? I want a new HD DVR single tuner and they want something ridiculous like $500. I don't want to sign up for 24 months either.

just my 2 cents. I think Claude might want to rethink the whole, transfering to a different call center, thing. I wonder just how many sales he loses because of that thing. I know I would much prefer a message asking for name and number.

I just got a brand new leased 211k from directly from Dish for $50. Besides avoiding a new 2 yr commitment, why is buying preferable to leasing? You still have to pay the same monthly fee don't you?

You don't have to subscribe to a "package".If you want locals only or HBO only,you pay an access fee(I believe it is $6. dollars) plus what ever you want to subscribe to.;)

Hi, this is Mike from DISH Network. I would just like to give props to Jhon69. Always check the receiver ID to make sure there is no balance owed on the old account and that it's not leased or stolen. Before you exchange money, please call us with the receiver number so that we can check to make sure it's eligible for transfer. Also, we offer a warranty on our directly-purchased receivers. The benefit for purchasing is the lack of a contract and that's pretty much the limit of it.

Hope this helps

What made me buy my 622 in about May '06 was simply that that was the only way I could upgrade at the time. I had an 811 installed in Dec. '05 with a wing dish pointed to 61.5 and a DPP44 switch. That HD upgrade "deal" cost me nearly $500 and put me on a new 2-year contract. (I had never had a contract prior to that; bought and installed all my SD equipment.) Less than 6 months later I wanted to upgrade to the HD DVR (the 622 was not available in Dec. '05) but with the contract the only way I could upgrade was to buy the 622 and install it myself, then call to activate it (and deactivate another older receiver at the same time). I did all that successfully (thanks in part to Claude!) and learned a bunch in the process! Maybe the rules have changed since then, but at the time purchasing another unit was my only avenue to upgrade prior to the contract maturing which would have been another 18 months off...

just my 2 cents. I think Claude might want to rethink the whole, transfering to a different call center, thing. I wonder just how many sales he loses because of that thing. I know I would much prefer a message asking for name and number.

We also use the Dishstore number for customers looking for first time service, and for our customer escallations, so thats why I have to transfer it to an outside call center. The goal is to ansewer the call instead of sending it to a voice mail.

I was trying to purchase a replacement remote. After being on hold for six minutes with the Dish Store I was connected to a CSR. When I explained what I wanted I was given another number which turned out to be Dish technical service. Not a good experience. In the future when I want to purchase hardware and want support I won't be dialing the Dish Store.

Jim

We also use the Dishstore number for customers looking for first time service, and for our customer escallations, so thats why I have to transfer it to an outside call center. The goal is to ansewer the call instead of sending it to a voice mail.

Maybe give the caller a choice? Press 1 to continue to hold, 2 to leave a message, 3 to be transfered to an enternal call center.

Look at jimdandys' post. He makes my point quite well.