Distant Nets

nrholland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Tampa Bay Area
Just wondering what is the latest on the distant nets situation. Is Dish going to get them again and drop AAD, or is it going to remain AAD? I would prefer that it remains AAD.

I just had the hammer come down on me today and I am in what might be a hopeless bind. I woke up this morning and all my AAD (Sobongo) channels were gone. I went over to their website and checked through the qualifying information and found out that my local FOX now requires a waiver. The local station WAGM (which has both of those channels on 8.1 and 8.2) states right on their website that they refuse to offer waivers and if you can't receive their channels buy a bigger antenna.

Well, that would be fine and all if they actually broadcast Fox in HD, but they don't.

So I can't get FOX HD OTA. I can't get it via Dish and I can't get it via AAD.

I have no other choice but to move and I really thought I was done with that. I didn't mind paying extra to get locals via AAD but WAGM wants to try and force me to watch FOX in SD and I refuse. I don't watch anything in SD. I'd be better off getting my Fox programming illicitly on the net (where it would be of much higher quality.)

Frack. I guess I'll go back to being a "criminal" until something meaningful happens with Distants and LiLs...

Last edited:
I just had the hammer come down on me today and I am in what might be a hopeless bind. I woke up this morning and all my AAD (Sobongo) channels were gone. I went over to their website and checked through the qualifying information and found out that my local FOX now requires a waiver. The local station WAGM (which has both of those channels on 8.1 and 8.2) states right on their website that they refuse to offer waivers and if you can't receive their channels buy a bigger antenna.

Well, that would be fine and all if they actually broadcast Fox in HD, but they don't.

I have no other choice but to move and I really thought I was done with that. I didn't mind paying extra to get locals via AAD but WAGM wants to try and force me to watch FOX in SD and I refuse. I don't watch anything in SD. I'd be better off getting my Fox programming illicitly on the net (where it would be of much higher quality.)

Frack. I guess I'll go back to being a "criminal" until something meaningful happens with Distants and LiLs...

Have some more wine and mellow out it's only TV.

Have some more wine and mellow out it's only TV.

And yet you waste your time on a satellite forum. Maybe you should rethink your priorities, I know mine.

That said, the issue has been resolved. I moved, so at least it will be HD TV when I return to whine some more...

Nah Bacchus just forgot he was the god of WHINE.

I came to an appropriate thread and shared my issues with the community. It is always good to get other people's responses concerning situations like mine as I am sure there are some that have maybe been faced with similar problems.

Meanwhile, you came along, thew in what was basically a personal attack. Offered nothing to the discussion and are still going on and on and on without purpose or point.

In the end, I resolved the problem.

Thanks to those that sent me the helpful PMs. I understand why you wouldn't want to participate in this thread...

Did you lose all the distants or just those 2?

hey get in line. Until I had to move back to do a HD upgrade I'm a "criminal" too ;) :p

bacchus
Dont mind boba. He feels his posts of "call 800-333-3474 because obviously you can't do a self install" are really helpful. Also because he can get all his locals in HD he's "better than you" ;)

Did you lose all the distants or just those 2?

They dropped them all. Something in their system triggered because of the new waiver requirement. I could have added NBC and ABC back after calling, but would have to have paid them for waiver requests for the others (and I knew those requests would be denied.) Moving was the only option to have all the major networks in HD.

I'm taking it up with the station on the side. They'll "never" be able to broadcast Fox in HD because of the 19Mbps cap on their channel bandwidth (and Fox is a sub channel.) I guess they only have around 4Mbps to allocate to Fox so I don't understand why the change in requiring a waiver, unless they are close to uplinking in HD (which I doubt.)

hey get in line. Until I had to move back to do a HD upgrade I'm a "criminal" too

Well, I was living on the lam from '06 (when distants were pulled) through summer '10 and even though it felt good to be legal, in the end I want something as simple as the Big 4 Networks in HD (for the $125 I pay a month) and if that is not possible with today's business environ and marketplace than I guess I have to do what I have to do. :D

Last edited:

Just curious, what fox required the waiver?? what part of new england?

I'm taking it up with the station on the side. They'll "never" be able to broadcast Fox in HD because of the 19Mbps cap on their channel bandwidth (and Fox is a sub channel.) I guess they only have around 4Mbps to allocate to Fox so I don't understand why the change in requiring a waiver, unless they are close to uplinking in HD (which I doubt.)

there is a DMA about 60 miles down the road from me in suburban Minneapolis that is the same way. KEYC in Mankato, MN is a 1 station market (like your market)...CBS for 50 years and added Fox in mid 07. But they at least do digital 480i widescreen for FOX network programming. Its better than black bar hell or stretch-o-vision ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts