DLP, LCD, or Plasma??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Not having the finances to get a Sammy 1080p after our Pio 533HD5 died we got a JVC 56G887 HD-ILA set. It is beautiful!!

IF you get a front projector, check out the price of bulbs and their expected life span. Those things run hot. Also, a good screen can approach or top $1,000.

I also recommend the JVC DiLA rear projection sets. They are based on LCoS technology. I bought a 61" 720p set that I am most happy with. The bulb in mine is VERY easy to change, and is rated at 6,000 hours, which will be about 4 years for me. And I can watch in broad daylight, too. You can get a new 56" FN or FH 1080p set well within your budget. Try TV Authority, amongst others for online, or some b&m stores carry the line.

I almost bought a Samsung DLP, but they kept delaying, changing or dropping models. Then I realized I did not want to risk later seeing rainbows or developing headaches, or the same happening for guests and family, so I looked around. The LED based DLPs might not have this problem. Few people have problems with rainbows or headaches, anyway.

LCD RPTVs will likely look a bit grainier than DLP or LCoS sets, since more of their surface area is taken up by transistors and circuitry. The DLP and LCoS sets reflect the light, so the circuitry is behind the active elements. LCD passes the light thru those elements and so must lose some real estate to non-picture elements. And the organic LCD sets might have a shorter life span- but you're still talking many years of home use.

Rear projectors are nice, and by replacing a burnt out bulb (about $250) you have a set as good as new. CRT tubes wear out in RPTVs, have burn in concerns, require adjustment, are large and very heavy to move, etc. The ever diminishing number of CRT faithful will dispute all this, but even if you drink the kool-aid, do you really want to own a dinosaur that may or may not have parts available at reasonable cost 5 or 10 years down the road? I couldn't get parts for my direct view Sony CRT 5 years after purchase!

jlhugh said:
I am for the Sammy DLP also. I have seen these things next to other TV's and I think their picture is awesome. I will be getting me one of these in the near future.

I have a Sammy 720p DLP 42" in my APT at college and miss it when i come home to my Sony 51" KP51WS520 RPTV. THe PQ on the Sammy is INCREDIBLE even in extreme lighting conditions.

too many choices...

I've been considering purchasing a new HD set...
I'm not sure what type of set to purchase between DLP, LCD, LCD RP, and Plasma.
I would like to have a set between 55" to 57".
Well of your choices, direct view LCD is out.
Biggest I've seen is 47", and at a very high price.
I am personally shopping in the 42" size range for an LCD for myself.

Of the remaining types, I'm not hot on rear projector LCD due to the look and resolution, nor plasma for short-life reasons.
No point starting a shouting war about 'em; either you like 'em or you don't.

I've had a rear projector CRT based set standard-def, by Mitsubishi, and thought it was outstanding.
Today, there are few if any such sets being offered in 16:9 (that I've run across).

But really, none of the above matters until you decide if you must have a real 1080 display or can live with a 720.
Prices are outstanding on the 720's, both new and the ones which have been in production for a few years.

I was in a Fry's a while back, and saw a big (70"?) 1080p in demo mode.
It was an experience like awaking from a coma!
But, since there's no such material available now, nor likely to be in the near future, and certainly not on satellite nor cable, what's the point? ;)
So, the 720 sets are still worth considering.

I've been living under a $1,500 umbrella, and not looking at higher priced sets, so I'm not up on what's hot at the 50" and above level.
I've paid more attention to the 42" Syntax (720) for around $1,300 and a Sceptre 42" (real 1080) for $1,500.

Prior to finding these, I was all hot to get a nice DLP set.
They really do deliver the goods!

edit: and after a little more reading, I see you can satisfy yourself for well under $3k.

Last edited:
But, since there's no such material available now, nor likely to be in the near future, and certainly not on satellite nor cable, what's the point? ;)
So, the 720 sets are still worth considering..

I understand it may be several years before we see anything 1080P on sat or cable, but what about HDDVD or Blueray. I currently watch a lot of movies on my progressive scan DVD and have been seriously thinking about one of the new HD players. Wouldn't I have a much better picture watching an HDDVD or Blueray movie on a 1080P set compared to a 720P set?

I understand it may be several years before we see anything 1080P on sat or cable, but what about HDDVD or Blueray. I currently watch a lot of movies on my progressive scan DVD and have been seriously thinking about one of the new HD players. Wouldn't I have a much better picture watching an HDDVD or Blueray movie on a 1080P set compared to a 720P set?

YES!:)

I'm looking at dlp hdtv also. Was going to get a plasma but i read they have burn in problems and limited life span, they burn out. And they are energy hogs as well.

I'm looking at dlp. Are rear dlp hdtv's, like the Samsung HL-S5086W 50" DLP HDTV, have life span issues? That is, does the bulb burn out after so many hours like a dlp projector?

I am waiting for the SED next year. Bulbs last about three times as long, better quality, as much as half the price (from reports I read).

i think I'll wait . . .

Everything is already half-priced, compared to two years ago.

Pretty soon, they'll come as prizes in CrackerJack boxes. :hungry:

I waited for CD burners to go below $200. Today, I wouldn't waste money on one.
I waited for DVD burners to go below $200. Now I put two in each system: NEC @ $30..45.
I waited for 19" LCD computer monitors to fall through $700, $450, to mid-$300's. Now they're under $200 and I have two.
The dual Opteron I built summer of 2005, could be replaced this summer by the new Intel CoreDuo for the same price... and possibly double performance.

Well tell me what the typical life hours are on the dlp tv's?
I know on a projector, which I would think has a much more powerful bulb due to having to "project" across the room, the life hours range from 2000 to maybe 4000 hours. Same for a tv? (I may just start a new thread)

I personally believe that the current televisions do not offer enough bulb life particularly to those that have the television on a lot. The new SED's will be what I expect when it comes to bulb life and price.

Maybe they will come out with this new technology on the projectors as well with the lasers / SED.

SEDs don't have bulbs.

Yes, I've heard FPTV bulbs last 2,000 or so hours, maybe up to 4,000. Those particular bulbs are very expensive.

My JVC LCoS RPTV bulb is rated at 6,000 hours, and costs about $250. I'd expect that to be roughly what you could expect from any RPTV- DLP, LCoS or LCD.

And you can get an extended warranty with unlimited bulb replacement for the price of a single bulb.

We have DLP FP and HD-ILA RP. The usual crew came over today for the OSU game and the HD-ILA won in terms of which room people watched.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)