DLP won't pickup channels

Dan in VA

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Virginia
I have a Samsung DLP that won't pick up channels from cable when the coax is directly connected. It will pickup the OTAs just fine however. My Samsung plasma has no issues scanning and picking them up. I choose the same type of scan on each.

Any ideas?

Which models of televisions, what channels, what cable company?

Not sure how to answer the channels question. All I can say are the ones that don't require a cable box/card.

Plasma - Samsung PN42B450

DLP - Samsung HLS6187WX/XAA

Comcast

Thanks

Look in the setup menu for the DLP. There should be a setting there in the channel setup area that says "Antenna/Cable". This needs to be changed to cable if it isn't already there. Cable channels use diifferent frequencies than OTA, with the exception of the lowest 2-13 channel numbers.

Are you using the same feed line for both TVs? I know that sounds obvious, but an antenna line looks a lot like a cable line (both RG-6 with F connectors). You may need to trace it back and see that it is connected to the splitter where the cable is coming through.

I know these are obvious, but you need to know that the signal is there at the end of the cable before you start looking for problems in the TV. BTW, the reason the question on the cable system was asked is because many cable companies are converting to an all digital format with no analog channels available. You must have a cablecard or cable box to receive channels on these cable systems. Expect this more and more often as time goes by.

Look in the setup menu for the DLP. There should be a setting there in the channel setup area that says "Antenna/Cable". This needs to be changed to cable if it isn't already there. Cable channels use diifferent frequencies than OTA, with the exception of the lowest 2-13 channel numbers.

Are you using the same feed line for both TVs? I know that sounds obvious, but an antenna line looks a lot like a cable line (both RG-6 with F connectors). You may need to trace it back and see that it is connected to the splitter where the cable is coming through.

I know these are obvious, but you need to know that the signal is there at the end of the cable before you start looking for problems in the TV. BTW, the reason the question on the cable system was asked is because many cable companies are converting to an all digital format with no analog channels available. You must have a cablecard or cable box to receive channels on these cable systems. Expect this more and more often as time goes by.

Thanks, yes I agree with all you've said and all is the way it should be.

I was thinking the DLP didn't have a clear QAM tuner but would OTA still work?

Thanks, yes I agree with all you've said and all is the way it should be.

I was thinking the DLP didn't have a clear QAM tuner but would OTA still work?

Not necessarily. Analog OTA is dead, so it is all digital. Some cable companies have started encoding all digital, including the OTA channels and for those you need a cable box. TWC here in Milwaukee still has the digital OTA stations, but in clear QAM. They map down from cable channels in the 120 range of the cable spectrum. Note they are clear QAM and not ATSC.

I did some searching, and it appears that this set does not have a QAM tuner, so I think you may be out of luck without a cable box. It also does not have cablecard access.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)