[Viewsat] DMS International SG-2100 parts?

John Beemer

Original poster
Oct 5, 2019
DC
I have a DMS International SG-2100 that I bought years ago and never used. I finally attempted to install it but the pot metal casting broke and the gears won't work properly.

Not sure if you can see the broken part from the pictures attached.
20191005_221002_resized.jpg

Does anyone know if it's possible to get any replacement parts for this motor? If not, any suggestion of a motor I should purchase?

TIA

john

I have a DMS International SG-2100 that I bought years ago and never used. I finally attempted to install it but the pot metal casting broke and the gears won't work properly.

View attachment 140952
Does anyone know if it's possible to get any replacement parts for this motor? If not, any suggestion of a motor I should purchase?

TIA

john
Welcome to Satellite Guys John Beemer! I don't know if the SG-2100 is repairable (or if it is worth repairing) but if you decide to buy new get a STAB HH-90. High quality Italian designed motor by the company that developed USALS. :yes:thumbup

Lowest price I've found is here: HH-90

View attachment 140952

TIA

john
You can drill a 4 mm hole in the part you're holding and use a longer shaft .
I dont know about the postal costs from the Netherlands but I can send you that part ( the part will be for free)
It will fit in a envelope

Attachments

• gears.JPG
    gears.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 356
How large is the dish you plan to use with a new motor? Reason I ask is I don't think the HH90 is designed for larger dishes, like a 1.0/ 1.2m. Maybe others with more experience with them than me can confirm or correct this for me.

Forget it, you'll never be able to get parts for it. All those 2100's are generic, and there's TONS of them. Who knows it they are all exactly the same. If you can find a junk one somewhere, perhaps you can sw
How large is the dish you plan to use with a new motor? Reason I ask is I don't think the HH90 is designed for larger dishes, like a 1.0/ 1.2m. Maybe others with more experience with them than me can confirm or correct this for me.

HH90 is for a .9m dish, HH100 for 1m dish, and HH120 for a 1.2m dish. Approximately.

Reactions: Lone Gunman
It measures 90cm from side to side. It's a little bigger from top to bottom. It's called a hotdish90 so I'm assuming it's a 90cm.

I'm attempting to use JB weld epoxy to secure the broken piece but I've not sure how long it will hold up or even work.

You can drill a 4 mm hole in the part you're holding and use a longer shaft .
I dont know about the postal costs from the Netherlands but I can send you that part ( the part will be for free)
It will fit in a envelope

I like the idea of drilling the hole and getting the longer shaft. I may try that if my JB weld doesn't work. If neither works, I would definitely be up for paying the postage for the part to be shipped to Baltimore MD or Washington DC.

I also saw another motor with the model number SG-9120 which is supposed to have all metal gears. I looked at the STAB HH-90 also and that seems to have good reviews. I'm assuming most if not all these motors are manufactured in China which usually means cheaper price and lower quality.

John

I don't if my problem is the same as the OP since I didn't take mine apart. But if it's a broken mechanism I guess I should scrap it. Anyway, I was testing my SG9120 in preparation for using it with a 1.2 meter dish but I found that it won't go to zero. It's off by 5 counts to the east. It does move both east and west though. I don't know if it's a mechanical issue or some other problem. Is there a fix for this? I tried a web search about this but didn't get any relevant hits. $350 for an HH120 not including shipping - ouch. I hope I can make this SG-9120 work.

johnnynobody IF you have an old polar mount laying around from a 6ft mesh dish, you can fairly easily adapt it to the 1.2m dish. All you have to do, is tilt the TOP of the dish forward, by the same offset angle degrees of the dish. The Geosat Pro 1.2m dish, has a 27.3 degree offset. You do this by using some angle-iron from the mount to the top of the dish, and make them long enough to match this offset.

That and an 18" actuator, is a stronger, better (and cheaper) option than an HH120. That is, IF you have some stuff laying around like many of us do.

There's some posts here on site that show others that have done this.

johnnynobody IF you have an old polar mount laying around from a 6ft mesh dish, you can fairly easily adapt it to the 1.2m dish. All you have to do, is tilt the TOP of the dish forward, by the same offset angle degrees of the dish. The Geosat Pro 1.2m dish, has a 27.3 degree offset. You do this by using some angle-iron from the mount to the top of the dish, and make them long enough to match this offset.

That and an 18" actuator, is a stronger, better (and cheaper) option than an HH120. That is, IF you have some stuff laying around like many of us do.

There's some posts here on site that show others that have done this.

I was wondering about doing that. I have an extra mount laying around for a KTI CKD-12 or I could use the existing Paraclipse Classic 12 mount (since I'm planning on taking down the Paraclipse). You mentioned a mount for a 6 footer but can a mount for a 12 footer work? I have an 18" actuator but the diameter of it's pipe is much smaller than the 24". I suppose a 24" would work just as well. I don't think I have a saddle clamp for the 18" actuator though.

Last edited:
I was wondering about doing that. I have an extra mount laying around for a KTI CKD-12 or I could use the existing Paraclipse Classic 12 mount (since I'm planning on taking down the Paraclipse). You mentioned a mount for a 6 footer but can a mount for a 12 footer work? I have an 18" actuator but the diameter of it's pipe is much smaller than the 24". I suppose a 24" would work just as well. I don't think I have a saddle clamp for the 18" actuator though.
Most any mount can be made to work,just depends on how much work is involved in getting the dish attached to it.
Is your Para mount like mine?And here's my 1.2 on an unknown 10' mount;
100_0520.JPG100_0550.JPG100_0551.JPG

Mine looks similar to the first photo but mine doesn't have the declination rod - declination was set with shims. Looks like yours had a button hook while mine had 4 support rods. I guess you still have to set declination with the offset dish? I haven't done anything like this before. With an HH20, elevation has to be set to the site latitude on the motor and then there is a dish elevation angle to set. So, The polar mount angle is set to site latitude, then declination set based on the dish offset angle? Or is there more to this? And is there a trick to getting the dish properly mounted to the polar mount? I would assume that some holes have to be drilled and that the dish has to be centered on the mount, etc.

Anyway, there's a manual on my Paraclipse in the manuals section if interested.

Mine looks similar to the first photo but mine doesn't have the declination rod - declination was set with shims. Looks like yours had a button hook while mine had 4 support rods. I guess you still have to set declination with the offset dish? I haven't done anything like this before. With an HH20, elevation has to be set to the site latitude on the motor and then there is a dish elevation angle to set. So, The polar mount angle is set to site latitude, then declination set based on the dish offset angle? Or is there more to this? And is there a trick to getting the dish properly mounted to the polar mount? I would assume that some holes have to be drilled and that the dish has to be centered on the mount, etc.

Anyway, there's a manual on my Paraclipse in the manuals section if interested.
You won't find that declination rod on any Paraclypse but mine,I built that.After the ice storm we had back in 98 the factory decl. adjust didn't hold and it's a royal PITA to adjust,so I made that and decl. is easy and stays put.
I assume your declination is set right,now,so leave it alone.When you attach the offset dish you'll have to mount it in a manner to add in the offset angle of the dish.It should be something like 22 degrees.

You won't find that declination rod on any Paraclypse but mine,I built that.After the ice storm we had back in 98 the factory decl. adjust didn't hold and it's a royal PITA to adjust,so I made that and decl. is easy and stays put.
I assume your declination is set right,now,so leave it alone.When you attach the offset dish you'll have to mount it in a manner to add in the offset angle of the dish.It should be something like 22 degrees.

So, on a prime focus dish I'm set at about 42 so the offset dish would be set at 64 on the polar mount elevation?

Anyway, I was testing my SG9120 in preparation for using it with a 1.2 meter dish but I found that it won't go to zero. It's off by 5 counts to the east.

Still wanting to test/use your SG9120?
If you mean 5 degrees off with you '5 counts', probably the zero is not right in your motor memory.
A way to correct that with most diseqc motors, would be rotate to zero, and then do a motor reset (from the receiver, or with reset button on the motor if you have that?)
All memory positions for diseqc 1.2 would then also be reset to default, though.

greetz,
A33

So, on a prime focus dish I'm set at about 42 so the offset dish would be set at 64 on the polar mount elevation?
Not really sure if that would work or not,when I start getting in to angles/arcs/orbits my head starts to spin :biggrin.I think if I were doing it I'd build the offset in to however I attach the dish to the mount.
When I originally put the 1.2 up,it was just for the DMX channels on 99ku,I don't think it was even 2 weeks after I set that up that they announced that they were moving DMX to Cband,aarrg.So after that I decided to make the dish movable and I just kinda made it up as I went along.Didn't really know what I was doing but I was having fun :wink.Now I don't touch the dishes unless I really have to.

Not really sure if that would work or not,when I start getting in to angles/arcs/orbits my head starts to spin :biggrin.I think if I were doing it I'd build the offset in to however I attach the dish to the mount.
When I originally put the 1.2 up,it was just for the DMX channels on 99ku,I don't think it was even 2 weeks after I set that up that they announced that they were moving DMX to Cband,aarrg.So after that I decided to make the dish movable and I just kinda made it up as I went along.Didn't really know what I was doing but I was having fun :wink.Now I don't touch the dishes unless I really have to.

I hear ya. I just hope that I don't regret embarking on this adventure.