Do I need an RF Modulator?

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
Hello. I was wondering if someone can help me? I was trying to install a VCR/DVD player and I cant connect it to my tv. I have a Magnavox VCR/DVD Player. Model number is DV220MW9. Serial number is U24101561. and have a Sharp television. Do you think I need a RF Modulator? Im having trouble connecting my VCR/DVD Player and I was wondering if its because I have an Antenna TV and need a RF Modulator.

Also, if I need a RF Modualtor, where could I find one? Also, how much is it? Can you give me a price range, if thats possible? Thank you for your help.

You didn't give a model number for the sharp TV, so I can't determine if you can do any direct connections.

The Magnavox does have composite and s-video video output connections, as well as TOSLINK and analog audio. If the TV has auxiliary input connections, I would recommend hooking it up that way. Purchase the appropriate video cable. Use the s-video if the set has an s-video input, otherwise hook up a cable from the video output of the VCR to the video input of the TV (yellow). Hook a pair of cables from the red/white audio outputs of the VCR to the audio inputs (red/white) on the TV. The TV's remote should have a button labelled "input select" or something like that. Press it until the image from the VCR appears and you are in business.

Some TVs put the aux input signals on a certain channel #, like 98/99. If you have trouble, check the manual for the TV.

RF modulators are still available if you want to go that way. Here is a pointer to a bunch of inexpensive ones: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=rf+modulator+TV

Be advised that the RF modulator will give you the worst possible picture and sound. It is a convenient bu low quality solution.

Best of luck. If you need further help, lease provide the TV model number.

Ok, the sharp number is 25RU69.

Im not the most technical person in the world and Im sorry for that, so your going to have to dumb it down for me. Thanks again for the help.

OK, that wasn't much help. Apparently this set is for a foreign market, and I can't find anything like a manual for it. It also appears to be from the late '80s vintage.

Look on the back of the set. You are looking for some connectors. The first set are about 1/4" in diameter and they will be color coded as yellow, red and white.
images

The other connector is a bit larger, is probably black and has a series of connections as well as a larger keying hole. Looks like this:
S.video.socket.png

Let me know if you set has any of these connections and we will proceed from there.

I am surprised they did not have an RF modulator built into the VCR. I suppose because of the conversion to ATSC. Amazon does have them for under $10, radio shack or best buy probably has them in stock if they are near you.

OK, that wasn't much help. Apparently this set is for a foreign market, and I can't find anything like a manual for it. It also appears to be from the late '80s vintage.

Look on the back of the set. You are looking for some connectors. The first set are about 1/4" in diameter and they will be color coded as yellow, red and white.
images

The other connector is a bit larger, is probably black and has a series of connections as well as a larger keying hole. Looks like this:
S.video.socket.png

Let me know if you set has any of these connections and we will proceed from there.

There is nothing like that on the back of the tv set. All there is an ANT/Cable wire. Would I have to unscrew something to see what your talking about? Im sorry Im being so dense. Im not a big electronics person.

No you should not have to unscrew anything. If your TV is older, it is likely to not have any of these connections, and you will have to get a modulator.

Walmart.com shows one available in most of the walmarts around me for $8.98, check out one near you...

let them eat cake

It might well be time to upgrade to a modern TV.
Without checking the math, I'd say your 25" is roughly similar to a 32" flat screen.
They were on sale for Xmas for as little as $200.

You would get a bright, sharp, wide-screen picture, a hi definition over-the-air tuner, several video inputs, stereo sound, etc.
Depending on your city, many stations have additional digital subchannels.
That gives you more programs to watch.
Here in Los Angeles, the total is around 90 over the air choices. ;)

I was afraid of that. Agree with Mike that the modulator is your only solution. I think you may have missed the amazon link in my earlier post where they have a dozen or so as cheap as $7

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...f+modulator+TV

Target, WalMart, Best Buy used to stock these, but they are becoming rare as virtually all newer TVs have video inputs these days. Amazon may be your best source.

Yes, You will need a RF modulator to connect to the TV.

What outputs does the VCR/DVD unit have? Yellow - Video, Red/White - Audio? If so, here is an example:
http://www.satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=1603&ws_cat=429

Thats exactly what I need. I goofed. I gave you the wrong tv that the VCR/DVD was going to be installed to. Its actually a Panasonic. Model number CT-27G7DF and the serial number is LB22310171. Would I still need to get a RF Modulator? Sorry for the inconvience.

Thats exactly what I need. I goofed. I gave you the wrong tv that the VCR/DVD was going to be installed to. Its actually a Panasonic. Model number CT-27G7DF and the serial number is LB22310171. Would I still need to get a RF Modulator? Sorry for the inconvience.

No, you can simply connect cables. If you don't have a manual, you can download one here: http://www.manualowl.com/m/Panasonic/CT27G7DF/Manual/128982

There is a wiring diagram for connecting a VCR on page 6, but you simply need to connect red/white from the VCR to the lower red/white jacks on the TV. I would purchase an s-video cable from WalMart or Target and connect those togather for a little better picture, but you could also just connect yellow to yellow and get a picture that way.

To view this, you would press the TV/VIDEO button on the remote control. You will have 2 video choices; one for the rear panel jacks and one for the front panel. Just keep pressing it until you get a picture.

OK, perhaps I am getting confused. You are connecting to the Panasonic CT-27G7DF, right? If so, make sure you are connecting the DVD/VCR OUTPUT. You should not need the modulator for this TV.

I took the time to read the DVD/VCR manual: http://www.manualowl.com/m/Magnavox/DV220MW9/Manual/191514

It appears that the s-video connection only works with the DVD section, so you should connect as shown at the bottom of page 10.
Connect red and white from DVD/VCR Audio OUTPUT on the VCR to Red/White Audio Input on the TV.
Connect yellow from DVD/VCR Video Output on the VCR to Video input (yellow) on the TV.

Turn on the VCR or DVD and place a tape or DVD in the unit. Turn on the TV. Press PLAY to start the VCR or DVD. Now press TV/Video button on the TV. Press again if necessary until video and audio come through the TV. If you are having issues, look and understand the basic instructions for the VCR on page 14 of the VCR manual.

One thing to note is that the setup I described will not get you playback from cable or Over the Air antenna. To do that, you must connect the antenna or cable box RF signal to the antenna input of the VCR.

One thing to note is that the setup I described will not get you playback from cable or Over the Air antenna. To do that, you must connect the antenna or cable box RF signal to the antenna input of the VCR.[/QUOTE]

That last part your talking about. The antenna or cable box RF signal. Is that the RF Modulator?

Also, I have my broken VCR hooked up to my Sharp TV. The reason why I cant take the broken VCR out is because when I unhook the VCR, my cable goes out so I have to have it left in there.

The old VCR is acting like the tuner for the TV. You can disconnect the VCR and connect the cable that goes to the ant in on the VCR directly to the TV antenna input.

You are focusing too much on the RF modulator. It is not needed in the setup I described. If you are hell bent on using one, feel free to spend the $10 for one. Just connect the red, white and yellow jacks from the VCR/DVD to the red, white and yellow input jacks on the modulator. Then connect the RF output on the modulator to the RF input on the TV and simply tune the TV to channel 3.

I got it!!! My VCR works w/o the RF Modulator. The tv had the white, red and yellow cables and it connected to the ones on the back of the VCR!!

The Sharp tv didnt have any of the cables. I do have to remember that when I want to play a tape, make sure that the Imput says Video on it.

Usually I post in the sports section and never but you guys have been extremely helpful and patient. Thank you for your help. If I need any help, I know where to turn.

Im back. I need to know how to record on the VCR/DVD player. Everything else works fine. I can play back tapes, I have the clock set on the VCR. The only thing is that everytime I try to record something, I get a blank blue screen. I see the time on the bottom that it is recording but when I play it back there is no picture.

Last edited:
Hi Mets. This VCR does not have a built in tuner, so you must connect to something that can receive the cable signal. If you have a cable box, you should use that. Feed the red, white and yellow OUTPUT signals from the cable box to the red, white and yellow INPUT. These are items #2 and #8 o the diagram on page 8.

If you don't have a cable box, you are going to be forced to find some sort of a tuner. Normally, this would be the TV set, but I re-read the manual and your set does not have audio/video OUTPUTS.

You could use the older broken VCR for the tuner, or obtain a cable box from the cable company. I went back through the posts and you never say if you have cable service. If you are recording over the air (OTA), you will need a digital TV converter. These used to be free, but that time period has expired. You can purchase one for about $50 here:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=digital+TV+converter

If you have basic cable, ask them about installing a basic cable digital converter box. Most cable companies are in the process of removing channels from the old NTSC system and converting them to the more efficient digital system. In order to get approval to do this, the were forced to supply a free box for several years.

I probably confused you again, but it does get complicated. In summary, in order to record from the cable or antenna, you need a tuner box because your new VCR doesn't have one. You can get a digital tuner box from Amazon for over the air broadcast, or, if you are on cable, give them a call and they will install one for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)