Do you get OTA Guide data from Dish for channels/subchannels NOT provided by Dish?

Do you get OTA EPG info for non Dish locals?

• I get OTA guide data for some/all of my local OTA channels even though they aren't provided by Dish.

Votes: 70 67.3%
  • I do NOT get OTA guide data for local stations NOT provided by Dish.

Votes: 31 29.8%
  • I do not get locals from Dish.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don't know/don't care because I don't watch local channels.

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
So the title says it. What is it, for you? And please list your locality in your reply.

I get OTA guide data for some/most/all of my local OTA channels even though they aren't provided by Dish.

I do NOT get OTA guide data for local stations NOT provided by Dish.

I do not get locals from Dish.

I don't know/don't care because I don't watch local channels.

I get the epg for both Rochester NY (my dma) and Syracuse N for most of the channels. I get the info for the networks and PBS. I don't get it for Ion.

Point in fact - In the Tampa/Sarasota area WWSB is a second ABC channel. I can get it OTA along with WFTX but it never had guide info. Dish added it, and bingo! I now get the guide info.

In Ct. I get all the Springfield stations OTA, but since Dish does not carry the ABC or FOX channels there, I do not get those guides. I do get the CBS guide WSHM, as they do carry that. For some reason I do not get the guide for WWLP the NBC channel they also carry.

I get all my guide data for my area of Beaumont/Pt.Arthur, Texas for the following :

4.1 KBTV Fox (on sat)
4.2 BOUNCE (not on sat)
6.1 KFDM Cbs (on sat)
6.2 CW (not on sat)
12.1 KBMT ABC (on sat)
12.2 KJAC NBC ( on sat)
34.1 KITU ( on sat)
34.2 Church ( not on sat)
34.3 JCTV (not on sat)
34.4 Enlace (not on sat)
35.5 Kidtv ( not on sat)

I do not get guide data for two channels that I really want . DISH claims that they won't carry ota only channels for guide data, although they are carrying guide data for the various 6 sub channels that are ota only and aren't carried by DISH .

12.3 Mytx ( not on sat )
12.4 Metv ( not on sat

In my post I was referring only to network channels, not realizing/missing that sub channels were also being counted. Yes, I get a couple of guides for channels not carried by Dish, but mostly I do not in either Fl or Ct.

I get all my guide data for my area of Beaumont/Pt.Arthur, Texas for the following :

4.1 KBTV Fox (on sat)
4.2 BOUNCE (not on sat)
6.1 KFDM Cbs (on sat)
6.2 CW (not on sat)
12.1 KBMT ABC (on sat)
12.2 KJAC NBC ( on sat)
34.1 KITU ( on sat)
34.2 Church ( not on sat)
34.3 JCTV (not on sat)
34.4 Enlace (not on sat)
35.5 Kidtv ( not on sat)

I do not get guide data for two channels that I really want . DISH claims that they won't carry ota only channels for guide data, although they are carrying guide data for the various 6 sub channels that are ota only and aren't carried by DISH .

12.3 Mytx ( not on sat )
12.4 Metv ( not on sat

You get two "Big 4" networks sharing the same channel? Are either of them in hd? And then you get two more channels being shared on top of them! Boy, the pq must be pretty horrid for them. :(

You get two "Big 4" networks sharing the same channel? Are either of them in hd? And then you get two more channels being shared on top of them! Boy, the pq must be pretty horrid for them. :(
Not all that unusual. Same in Springfield MA.

Actually 12.1 ABC and 12.2 NBC are both in 720p and the picture quality is fine on both. Channels 12.3 and 12.4 are mapped to these channel designations,because they are run by the same parent company London Broadcasting,that runs ABC/NBC, but are actually broadcast from digital 36.1 and digital 43.1. 12.3 Mytx is in 720p and 12.4 Metv is in 480i. The only channel in our area in 1080i is 6.1 Cbs and it shares bandwith with the sub channel Cw on 6.2.

I get the Tallahassee market OTA and from Dish on satellite. I also get the Gainesville/Ocala market, and some stations from the Jacksonville market OTA, with guide info. A couple of the sub-channels don't have guide info, but most do. (antenna is on a 40ft mast with rotor & separate VHF/UHF antennas) North Florida just west of Lake City.

Last edited:
Actually 12.1 ABC and 12.2 NBC are both in 720p and the picture quality is fine on both. Channels 12.3 and 12.4 are mapped to these channel designations,because they are run by the same parent company London Broadcasting,that runs ABC/NBC, but are actually broadcast from digital 36.1 and digital 43.1. 12.3 Mytx is in 720p and 12.4 Metv is in 480i. The only channel in our area in 1080i is 6.1 Cbs and it shares bandwith with the sub channel Cw on 6.2.
OK, now that makes sense. Ugh, the thought of running more than one hd channel sharing bandwith makes me cringe. Since I really enjoy hd broadcasts, the trend of adding little watched sub-channels makes me sad. I know the switch to digital was just that and not a switch to hd. But the pq of an ota hd broadcast in 1080i on a channel that isn't sharing bandwith with a sub-channel is a joy to behold!

I get the Tallahassee market OTA and from Dish on satellite. I also get the Gainesville/Ocala market, and some stations from the Jacksonville market OTA, with guide info. A couple of the sub-channels don't have guide info, but most do. (antenna is on a 40ft mast with rotor & separate VHF/UHF antennas) North Florida just west of Lake City.
I drove past you this past weekend going to Wild Adventures.

dare2be said:
I drove past you this past weekend going to Wild Adventures.

Cool! We get season passes every year. It's about an hour's drive to WA from here. That's funny since we were in Valdosta last Saturday, but we were at the swimming pool place off exit 18, looking at the next thing I'll be spending $$ on! :D

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
I must say I'm surprised at the results. I wonder if this will hold up much longer as more people vote. Three fourths getting EPG data from Dish on channels Dish doesn't provide. Wow.

I must say I'm surprised at the results. I wonder if this will hold up much longer as more people vote. Three fourths getting EPG data from Dish on channels Dish doesn't provide. Wow.

My impression was better than your impression. :D :D :D

In DC we get guide data for MOT of the OTA channels DISH does not provide but not all. they do not seem to have data fro the low power stations----even those that amny cable providers carry and we have guide data for some subchannels and not others----but that can be the case even when the main channel is carried.

Yup. What's particularly annoying to me is that our Ion affiliate (channel 66) had all guide data, including subchannels, before the digital transition when they moved downtown and changed RF frequencies. For quite a while, we had no guide data for 66-1 at all, even though this channel is provided by Dish via sat. Finally, in the last couple of months, they added guide data for 66-1. But the subchannels are still AWOL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)