Do you really need to watch tv while on the toliet?

tv while taking a dump

• yes

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • no

Votes: 53 46.5%
  • maybe

Votes: 16 14.0%
  • hell yeah.

Votes: 24 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
This is where I was going, I too replace plenty of phone jacks in the bathroom due to corrosion.

I had a big crt tv in the bathroom for ~8 years. It was about 5 years old when I put it in there. That was about 6 years ago. It still works! So I guess moisture/condensation isnt that big of a deal for electronics.

This is where I was going, I too replace plenty of phone jacks in the bathroom due to corrosion.

The majority of the subs I repair if trouble is inside, one of the first things I ask is if they have a phone in the bathroom.
You'd be surprised how many say NO and then find out that they DO have one there. :)

Did one where the little old lady didn't know there was a 66 block in the closet under the stairs in the garage OR that it was full of liquor from the time of her late husband. There was a phone jack in each of five bathrooms...all ok.......the short was where movers had moved a workbench without dealing with the custom phone cabinet built into the bench. A single line from the NID vanished but there were about fifteen active jacks!

But I digress

Joe

I had a big crt tv in the bathroom for ~8 years. It was about 5 years old when I put it in there. That was about 6 years ago. It still works! So I guess moisture/condensation isnt that big of a deal for electronics.

Or your lucky.

I would not TELL anyone to do it.

Just like I would not TELL anyone to put a high dollar flat screen over a working fireplace.

Last edited:
Did one where the little old lady didn't know there was a 66 block in the closet under the stairs in the garage OR that it was full of liquor from the time of her late husband. There was a phone jack in each of five bathrooms...all ok.......the short was where movers had moved a workbench without dealing with the custom phone cabinet built into the bench. A single line from the NID vanished but there were about fifteen active jacks!

But I digress

Joe

:D

See, if you were thinking on your feet, you'd have had a bunch of liquor and she'd be none the wiser! ;)

Actually...she gave me all of it.
This was a rancher model with a huge carport / garage that opened onto the private community golf course. Her late husband & pals would fill the carport with golf carts and party. She never knew where the booze came from and assumed they had it in their carts.

Not only that, she didn't know that the 16 point Sonora multiswitch in the attic was connected to four Directv recorders (8lines) and five other SD boxes (five lines); a superior workmanship custom installation! I showed her daughter how she could select receivers that were actually being used and turn off the others to save about fifty bucks a month by calling Directv.

I found all this looking for a punchdown to fix the phones...she didn't know nutin!

Nice lady in need of downsizing her diggings.

Joe

Just like I would not TELL anyone to put a high dollar flat screen over a working fireplace.

Another one I dont get unless its a wood stove insert or some other functional fireplace that produces room heat rather than a decorative one. If you're getting soot and improperly vented fireplace exhaust coming out of the fireplace and up into your tv, the tv's life span isnt the only one that might get shortened up!

Another one I dont get unless its a wood stove insert or some other functional fireplace that produces room heat rather than a decorative one. If you're getting soot and improperly vented fireplace exhaust coming out of the fireplace and up into your tv, the tv's life span isnt the only one that might get shortened up!

So you've never heard of HEAT causing electronics to go bad ?

Ya remember all the HR20's that ran at 127* and were OK, we'll the ones that ran at 130* were NOT any good.

Try re-reading the post. I said 'decorative fireplace' which 98% of the ones people want to mount a flat screen over have. I have had fireplaces in every home I've ever owned. None of them were fitted with a fireplace insert or any sort of blower arrangement to produce heat. None of them made more than a few degrees of extra heat in the area a foot or two over the fireplace. If there was a significant updraft of heat in that area that somehow wrapped around and over the little mantle piece, it'd be carrying carbon monoxide and other combustion contaminants into the room.

The vast, vast majority of heat and combustion gases in the majority of fancy fireplaces in fancy homes that have big flat screens mounted over them goes right up the chimney. If its working properly, and you're lucky that is.

As a public service announcement, if you have a regular open face/glass door wood burning fireplace without any sort of heat exchanger, insert or blower arrangement and you can feel enough heat a foot over the top of it on the inside of your house to even remotely disturb a piece of well vented electronics, call someone to check on your chimney and flue, because they're not working properly.

Try re-reading the post. I said 'decorative fireplace' which 98% of the ones people want to mount a flat screen over have. I have had fireplaces in every home I've ever owned. None of them were fitted with a fireplace insert or any sort of blower arrangement to produce heat. None of them made more than a few degrees of extra heat in the area a foot or two over the fireplace. If there was a significant updraft of heat in that area that somehow wrapped around and over the little mantle piece, it'd be carrying carbon monoxide and other combustion contaminants into the room.

The vast, vast majority of heat and combustion gases in the majority of fancy fireplaces in fancy homes that have big flat screens mounted over them goes right up the chimney. If its working properly, and you're lucky that is.

As a public service announcement, if you have a regular open face/glass door wood burning fireplace without any sort of heat exchanger, insert or blower arrangement and you can feel enough heat a foot over the top of it on the inside of your house to even remotely disturb a piece of well vented electronics, call someone to check on your chimney and flue, because they're not working properly.

So you've never seen people put nice TV's over a fully functional fireplace ?

So you've never seen people put nice TV's over a fully functional fireplace ?

I dont know, I dont do television installs. And most fireplaces dont generate significant heat in the room when they're in operation. Like I keep saying, unless you have a fireplace insert or a setup with a heat exchanger and blower, most of the heat goes up the chimney, along with the combustion byproducts.

Once more time, for the 90-something percent of people with a regular wood burning fireplace, its decorative and there shouldnt be any significant heat billowing out of the front of the unit and up to where a tv should be.

Basically, if there is a lot of black soot on the wall over the top of the fireplace, you shouldnt install a tv there. And enjoy your carbon monoxide poisoning.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts