Does CM4221 get Upper VHF?

ucladave

Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
I am wondering if the channel master 4221 gets upper VHF reception. I am 26 miles from the hillside transmitter towers (clear line of sight, no obstructions) and need 7-13. Would this antenna get them?

You already have a complete thread running on your antenna selection issue, http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-over-air-ota/106674-need-help-choosing-ota-antenna.html I am not sure why you are double-posting.

The answer is that the CM4221 does not have good VHF-hi coverage. Look at the chart titled "using a UHF antenna for VHF" in this article Comparing some commercially available antennas

you will see the CM4221 and other UHF antennas compared, including the sort of numbers you can get from "rabbit ears". That is why I suggested in your other thread that you tried "rabbit ears" to see if they worked for you, to give you a comparison point.
No-one can give you an answer to your question about the CM4221 in your location because we're not in your location. You could try the CM4221 and find it's OK for you on VHF-hi, other people have reported success at 20 miles with full-power stations in 7-13. But based on the known performance, I don't think anyone would recommend the CM4221. The CM4228, yes - look at the performance charts and see why people use the CM4228 in situations where there is decent signal strength in VHF-hi. The dips in the theoretical gain curves, by the way, don't seem to be born out in practice. I'm in DFW at 42 miles from the transmitter "farm" and get great reception on VHF-hi with my CM4228. I receive 7,8 and 11 in clear analog, and our only VHF digital station on channel 9 with 90 signal strength on my HR20..

Thanks for the reply. I didnt really think it was a double post since now I've narrowed my choices down to the channel master 422x series. I wanted to know specifically if the smaller one would get decent VHF-hi reception or if I would need the 4228 to make that happen.

Thanks for the helpful information on this point.

There are lots of threas on the CM 44221 and 4228. Havingsaid that the 4221 does a good job of receinving VHF at Channel 7 and above.

There are lots of threas on the CM 44221 and 4228. Havingsaid that the 4221 does a good job of receinving VHF at Channel 7 and above.
Almost any UHF antenna will get some reception on VHF-hi. But if you look at the antenna performance charts in Comparing some commercially available antennas , the CM4221 is only better than "rabbit ears" at the very highest channels, and the gain drops off dramatically as you move down the VHF-hi band.
That's why I suggested (in the OP's other thread) he should check out VHF-hi with "rabbit ears". If the reception is excellent, the CM4221 maybe a possibility.

The gain for hi band vhf on the cm4221 is -18 to 0 dbd.

For hi band vhf purchase the cm4228...end of story.

You should know better by now!!!

WTF

I agree taht there are a lot of theads on these antennas and whether they get VHF. I also agree taht there are better VHF antennsa than the CM 4221. But if you read the threads here ans elsewhere you wills ee that alot of us get passably good resuts with the 4221 on high band VHF. Heck I even pull ina local Ch 6 that i low powered that many of my neighbors have never seen or heard of.

If I wanted good VHF performance i would not use either the 4221 or the 4228 but both are acceptable in some circumstances. In fact if you are as close in as i am (and not everyone is) the 4221 is an acceptable small antenna and beats the 4228 not because of better gain but because it has a better beam width----gain is not the only way to judge an antenna it depends on the circumstances.

I don't think we are disagreeing very much. If you are close to the transmitters, close enough that "rabbit ears" will give a very strong signal, then the CM4221 might be OK (hence my suggestion to Dave). And having the wider beamwidth is certainly an advantage sometimes. Dave has almost every station in one place, Mount Wilson, so having a wider beamwidth is no help to him. And as Rick posted, the gain on the CM4221 particularly in the lower part of the VHF-hi band is very poor. But that does not mean it won't work in the right circumstances. I have seen posts from people getting OK reception on the higher VHF-hi channels with the CM4221 at 20 miles from high-powered stations.
There is no doubt however that the CM4228 is a much better antenna if you want acceptable VHF-hi performance from a UHF antenna.
You could of course use a VHF-UHF combo, but they are SO large, because they have to receive VHF-lo as well (although I did see a mention somewhere of one new combo antenna just for UHF and VHF-hi, can't remember what it was). Or you could couple a VHF-hi antenna to the CM4221.

the cm 4221 is not typically suggested for hi band vhf use. if you take that chance, the conditions are just right, and it works you lucked out.

but for internet advice, I prefer to advise on the cm4228 since most want to purchase just one antenna and not be stuck with one if the antenna does not perform to their liking...or screw around trying to make it work to your satisfaction.

the cm 4221 would work in the yellow zone generally from ch9 up. I always preferred too much signal as opposed to marginal. and what is wrong with that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts