Does DirecTV have an answer to Hopper3/HopperGo?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Unless AT&T is moving to phase out Hx2x receivers/DVR's, You can still get 16 tuners with Directv by combining a Genie with 2 tuner HR2x DVR's & 1 tuner H2x receivers. You still have the problem with, if your 16 tuner Hopper 3 goes out, you have no TV. We can still arrange Genies, DVR's, & receivers to get up to 21 tuners. Hopper 3 owners get only 16 tuners & that's it. They can't even have previous versions of Hoppers with the Hopper 3. Directv May not have anything like the Hopper 3 currently, but they are more flexible with what they do have. Directv has NFL Sunday Ticket, which is the only reason WHY you'd want the "Bar Room(did I get the name right?)" Feature. I'm not knocking the Hopper 3, I'd love to get one, but Directv customers should not feel down about not having anything like it.
I, and especially my wife, want a single todo list. We don't want to have to manage which box is running out of space. We don't want to manage conflicts. It takes me at least a couple hours every fall to figure out where each show needs to be recorded on our 3 HR-2x's. Yes, I know I should get a genie, but there are still times when we'd need 6+ tuners, and having them on a single box would be nice. The ideal, of course, would be improving on the current flexibility by doing more things in sync across boxes.

I will also note that the NFL is not the only sport that has more than one game on a at time. I don't actually care to watch more than 1 or 2 NFL games all weekend, let alone at the same time. College football and March Madness, however....

If I'm reading things on the Dish subforum correctly, it also sounds like recordings can be moved from one Dish is to another. That is a feature that I would desperately like so hardware failures don't mean total loss.

In the long run, the FCC could influence a lot of this with its future rulings. Do they impose a universal STB standard that means anyone's system can interact with the cable/dish's central hub/server? If so, the ballgame changes dramatically.

Wait for the other shoe to drop when dish implements a higher charge like they have done in the past
And that probably will happen at some point, but it doesn't change the fact that Dish has yet again shown their ability to produce the best satellite equipment.

I doubt that DirecTV will have anything close to it in the near future.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: bobvick
And that probably will happen at some point, but it doesn't change the fact that Dish has yet again shown their ability to produce the best satellite equipment.

I doubt that DirecTV will have anything close to it in the near future.

Although who's to say that AT&T won't end up doing the same thing with Directv receivers/DVR's, Dish makes you give up receivers/DVR's that you had before their new DVR comes out. You had to give up your ViP DVR's/receivers in order to get the (then) new Hopper, & now you have to give up your Gen 1 & Gen 2 Hoppers to get the new Hopper 3. That's a lot of discarding to get the new big thing with Dish. At least the new reverse band LNB with Directv doesn't require you to abandon your Hx2x DVR's/receivers, & hopefully the new upcoming(?) Genie won't either.

Although who's to say that AT&T won't end up doing the same thing with Directv receivers/DVR's, Dish makes you give up receivers/DVR's that you had before their new DVR comes out. You had to give up your ViP DVR's/receivers in order to get the (then) new Hopper, & now you have to give up your Gen 1 & Gen 2 Hoppers to get the new Hopper 3. That's a lot of discarding to get the new big thing with Dish. At least the new reverse band LNB with Directv doesn't require you to abandon your Hx2x DVR's/receivers, & hopefully the new upcoming(?) Genie won't either.

And all of that means squat IMO. Sure, to get the new H3 I have to give up what I have, but that is not at all a daunting task, nor do I lose my recordings and timers since my EHD will work with the new one and I assume that the remote backup/restore will work just fine.

With Direct's design if you swap you lose it all.

And all of that means squat IMO. Sure, to get the new H3 I have to give up what I have, but that is not at all a daunting task, nor do I lose my recordings and timers since my EHD will work with the new one and I assume that the remote backup/restore will work just fine.

With Direct's design if you swap you lose it all.

Each service has its pros & cons, if I could currently afford it, I'd have both services. However, at this present time, Directv meets my needs.

Each service has its pros & cons, if I could currently afford it, I'd have both services. However, at this present time, Directv meets my needs.

Which I have no problem with. I have Dish and Mediacom but will probably just keep Dish.

All the new technology won't make a difference in subscriber numbers if the service is priced higher than consumers are willing or able to pay for it. Went from DirecTV to a Mediacom three-service bundle a year ago, and I've been looking to get back to satellite. But the price for all three services mitigates against it. (Plus the fact that Des Moines has no decent competitor to cable Internet.)

But the only receiver that will be able to actually use the reverse band LNB is the HR54. For all other receivers it will be just like having a regular LNB.

I think this looks like a nice technological achievement....when we finally see them being available. But to echo what some others have posted, it's exciting for all of the "satellite techies" that frequent this forum and others, but probably pretty irrelevant to most of the customer base.

No offense directv fans, I would never want directv to have a Genie like the Hopper 3.
Because it probably would work like crap.
And they would probably have 3 versions of it, that wouldn't function the same, and there will be constant software update that just make it function far worse time after time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chuck W and Hideftv
But the only receiver that will be able to actually use the reverse band LNB is the HR54. For all other receivers it will be just like having a regular LNB.
Understood on that part. Hopefully the next new Directv Genie model doesn't turn off access for the previous Hx2x receivers on the reverse band LNB like the Hopper 3 does with previous versions of the Hopper using the new hybrid LNB.

Understood on that part. Hopefully the next new Directv Genie model doesn't turn off access for the previous Hx2x receivers on the reverse band LNB like the Hopper 3 does with previous versions of the Hopper using the new hybrid LNB.
With the new reverse band LNB, all the HR2x DVRs work fine. Any 21 tuners.

With all the bandwidth available on RB and so little 4K programming, I foresee D* using it for 1080P programs.
I don't think this will happen just off marketing principle. They can market (and charge more) for 4k. Marketing 1080p would only touch a very small population, like members here. If you asked most they likely think they get 1080p already, or would have no idea the difference.

To be fair, there is still a large population on SD that think they have HD because they have a flat screen that is HD.

Reactions: BigRyan
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)