Does DirecTV have an answer to Hopper3/HopperGo?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Not sure where Claude is getting his info but with bonded transponders for 4K it's only using two transponders. Not 5.
Even still, It will be 2020 before I even have four 4K tvs is my house let alone have a need to record or watch 4 live streams of 4K in my house.

By then Hopper 4 will most likely be out.
So we will worry about it then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Didn't one guy in here say he saw a new Genie with the AT&T Logo and DirecTV on it? I wonder if that could be the HR-64? I wonder if that could have more tuners on it? Also would it do 4k and have a smaller size? :)

Didn't one guy in here say he saw a new Genie with the AT&T Logo and DirecTV on it? I wonder if that could be the HR-64? I wonder if that could have more tuners on it? Also would it do 4k and have a smaller size? :)
I believe it was someone working for the manufacturer (Pace) who reported a sighting of the new combined box. But absolutely no info on what its capabilities might be. It almost certainly won't be an HR anything.....

I believe it was someone working for the manufacturer (Pace) who reported a sighting of the new combined box. But absolutely no info on what its capabilities might be. It almost certainly won't be an HR anything.....
So no more HR series with AT&T DTV?

That's the strong rumor...don't know any more than that.

From what I have been told the answer is no more HR models. AT&T will name them something else. I was actually told a name but I honestly don't remember it.

From what I have been told the answer is no more HR models. AT&T will name them something else. I was actually told a name but I honestly don't remember it.
Do you think it will be a hybrid SatelliteTV/IPTV box based off the Genie with no HR model or an all new hybrid SatelliteTV/IPTV HD DVR that wont be a Genie?

ALSO wile we are at it, I wish someone would answer the question: Why do we have to have HD equipment to receive a down converted SD NASA channel, NASA TV is full time HD, yet DIRECTV down converts it to SD on channel 352.

OH and why cant we save or scheduled recordings online or something?

NASA is mpeg4 encoded, which means no sd box, which is mpeg2, can decode the signal. HD boxes are mpeg4.

From what's been mentioned so far, DIRECTV is aiming for three 4K channels per 2 bonded xpndrs for linear broadcasting on the Reverse Band at an average throughput data rate of ~15 mb/s.

Now it's just a small matter of actually getting the content for those channels, lol

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

So no more HR series with AT&T DTV?
They want to move to a home gateway system with just clients at the tv's.

Still they will need some kind of system maybe non DVR for sports bars and hotels.

Dual gig power for hotels 1 link just for TV streams and other for internet?

They want to move to a home gateway system with just clients at the tv's.

Still they will need some kind of system maybe non DVR for sports bars and hotels.

Dual gig power for hotels 1 link just for TV streams and other for internet?
This is where I fear that they'll deliberately come out with a system incompatible with present Hx2x receivers & DVR's,including Genies, just like Dish is doing with their Hopper 3 & like they did with their previous versions of the Hopper. You want the new stuff, give up the old stuff.

I think they are working on a new model and we will hear something on it by fall!! imo

NASA is mpeg4 encoded, which means no sd box, which is mpeg2, can decode the signal. HD boxes are mpeg4.
That really doesn't answer the question of why they are DOWN CONVERTING it to SD? And as you say they don't even re-encocde it to mpeg2 so everyone who subscribes can receive it. Like I have said many times though, this is why I got into the C-Band hobby, ONE channel, NASA-HD. Maybe one day a satellite company could carry a channel free from a satellite transmission we all pay for in HD. Certainly no lack of shopping networks I never watch.

Why it's not in hd, who knows. BTW, NASA is a public interest channel, so you aren't paying for it.

Why it's not in hd, who knows. BTW, NASA is a public interest channel, so you aren't paying for it.
As a federal agency, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) receives its funding from the annual federal budget passed by the United States Congress.

This is what I mean by we all pay for

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
They do HD and down convert it to SD as there are many public access cable stations which rebroadcast nasa and those stations are only in HD.

My understanding is that NASA 4K is not airing programming 24/7 currently but has scheduled 4K specials and programs.

They do HD and down convert it to SD as there are many public access cable stations which rebroadcast nasa and those stations are only in HD.

My understanding is that NASA 4K is not airing programming 24/7 currently but has scheduled 4K specials and programs.
NASA UHD (the 4K one) is 24/7 but the content is just on a loop right now, looks amazing though.

For details on how we are capturing that feed check out the thread "New NASA UHD channel" over in the Free To Air (FTA) Discussion forum if you are interested.

Status
Please reply by conversation.