Does one tip the installer?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

blkhawk666

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 22, 2004
:shocked
Does one tip their installers and if so, how much?
When I had my TV delivered I tiped the driver $40. When I had Dish installed even though it was a terrrible job, I gave em $20.

We have a couple small migrant camps in my area. At one of them, I set up 5 DISH Network systems one day. After I was finnished, the people all got together cooked up one hell of a meal and "made me stay". Man that was the best food I ever ate and the only kind of tip I would ever want. :D :D :D

blkhawk666 said:
:shocked
Does one tip their installers and if so, how much?
When I had my TV delivered I tiped the driver $40. When I had Dish installed even though it was a terrrible job, I gave em $20.

Most installers don't expect it, although I have gotten tips on occasion. I'd only do it if if the guy did a really good job, and you were pretty happy with the service.

Diver said:
We have a couple small migrant camps in my area. At one of them, I set up 5 DISH Network systems one day. After I was finnished, the people all got together cooked up one hell of a meal and "made me stay". Man that was the best food I ever ate and the only kind of tip I would ever want. :D :D :D

Damn! That's the kind of tip I like. To me, food is always the most sincere and flattering way of showing appreciation. It always means more to me than someone giving me a few bucks.

When I had my Sammy 50" delivered I gave the two guys $20.00. These two did me a big favor. They moved a 36" Sanyo TV and the stand from the basement to the upstairs. It was well worth the 20 bucks. I can't see giving a tip for doing the job that he was contracted to do. Now if this person does work beyond that yes a tip is well deserved.

I offer Bottle water or Soda an I have offered food but no money I was to;d by my installer they get $60 an hour don't know if its true or not.

Tipping the Installer

Hi:
I think a $20 tip on an $800 (at the time) system is reasonable. I also tipped $5 each time my receiver was swapped. (another $15). I think anyone who comes into your home and is not self-employed should be tipped.
Joseph

jnardone said:
Hi:
I think a $20 tip on an $800 (at the time) system is reasonable. I also tipped $5 each time my receiver was swapped. (another $15). I think anyone who comes into your home and is not self-employed should be tipped.
Joseph
Joseph,
Where do you live? I'm not self employed. Can I come into your home? :D

Yes

I pretty much always tip unless they really screw something up. I tipped my installer $20. He was very nice and did a great job. I tipped the guys who delivered my Mits 55" set to my third floor condo (no elevator) $40. It's a good thing to tip for good service.

The Rickster

I was prepared to tip my VOOM installer, but after the late arrival and the job he attempted to perform, he didn't deserve it.

As I posted in my install story, my installer brought an attache case containing all his paperwork. He left it open in a conspicuous place in our living room with a pocket folder showing the word "TIPS" in big bold letters with a few dead presidents folded up in there! Not too subtle! The installers did a very neat job, but only what I would consider a "normal install". I considered the extra $125 I paid [for high-ladder and crawling under the house] as their TIP, so I wasn't about to shove more cash into that pocket.

1080iWannabe said:
As I posted in my install story, my installer brought an attache case containing all his paperwork. He left it open in a conspicuous place in our living room with a pocket folder showing the word "TIPS" in big bold letters with a few dead presidents folded up in there! Not too subtle! The installers did a very neat job, but only what I would consider a "normal install". I considered the extra $125 I paid [for high-ladder and crawling under the house] as their TIP, so I wasn't about to shove more cash into that pocket.

Wow. Talk about chutzpah! I've never seen any of my fellow installers do the old tip-pouch type thing.

A cold drink and bathroom and telephone privledges for the initial installer.

But the second installerrr who brought my upgraded 24" dish, tightened up the work done by the first installer, weather proofed the connectors and a couple of other things.

It was getting late (near 6pm and he had another job to do) so I packed him a take out dinner of sandwich, fried chicken, fruit, vegetables, cookies and a drink to eat in his truck as he traveled the 30 miles to his next gig.

He was appreciative, as was I for his expertise and work.

Shelly

Well - here's a vote for overtipping

Folks -

I believe in the Steve Martin line (at least I think it was) from 'My Blue Heaven' - "I overtip EVERYBODY - it's my policy", or words to that effect.

As I get older (49), there's a lot of work I don't want to do, nor do I have time for. I work for a company that offers bonuses, and see the benefit and level of incentive it provides. I think if there's even a hint in the service person's mind that there may be something extra in it for them if they do the job to your satisfaction (or better), the better job they'll do, the happier I'll be, they may be just a bit more courteous, and everybody wins.

I'm bracing for the sticks and stones, but I gave my two guys $50 and a case of beer to split between them. I considered it a very worthwhile investment - they did a great job, couldn't have been nicer, and I was their last gig of the day.

plyall said:
I'm bracing for the sticks and stones, but I gave my two guys $50 and a case of beer to split between them. I considered it a very worthwhile investment - they did a great job, couldn't have been nicer, and I was their last gig of the day.

Why not? There's nothing wrong with a little kindness. If it was given freely, and it made you feel good to do so, who in their right mind would flame you for it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts