Does Voom have the Best HD PQ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Voom's HD pic equal to dish but SD blows dish away

Voom's picture quality is now equal do Dish in Hd. Dish was much better but is last three weeks they are using more compression and their picture quality is now about he same as vcom. Voom's picture quality is especially good using DVI, over component. My dish 6000 doesn't have DVI. I dumped my 921 with DISH. Voom's SD channels are great, i actually watch MSNBC, and Fox, and some of the premiums occassionally. I think Voom wins the battle because they offer us 10 times as many channels as dish with almost the same quality. WIth WM9 if the quality goes up, and more channlelss, Voom will soar with subscribers. I love watching movies in Starz HD =amazing pic quality on Voom.

Voom please get G4Tech Tv Channel. Adelphia no longer provides it in their basic tier. I will love you for it.

I watched Bikini Destinations Monday night and I was very disappointed. It seems Dish is killing HDNET now, it did not have the POP that it used to. The WOW factor is still marginally there and still much better than Voom, but it has lost it's edge. DAMNED DISH, you suck, Ergen. They've already killed HDNET Movies over the past several weeks. I may have to drop all the DBS providers and stick with OTA. (or buy a small TV).

A sidenote: at AVSForum, someone with an HDPC is able to monitor the bitrate on recordings and it appears Dish has switched from a constant bitrate to a variable bitrate for HD now. :mad:

You know if I where Voom I wouldn't be on the rush for upgrading the dishes so fast I guess since they need to raise MORE money. They need to:

* Come up with a better Pricing Plan for new customers - Off to spread out the $200 installation across 10 months?

* Switch to WM9 ASAP, if 10Mps under WM9 is like 16-17 under MPG2, they will free up b/w on their transponders immediately to add more channels as well as give people what they want - better PQ!

* Open up the doors for some HD commercials on their channels not spam commercials like your prime time channels, but some between movies and shows to raise funds that way and not suck it out of the customers .

EDIT: VOom is most definately on variable bitrate and I think when they go to WM9 they should also change it to constant.

I have had all three and even trained with E* (perhaps that is why I don't like them) and DirecTV has superior PQ across HD, SD and LIL. That is why I am still with them after 7 years now. Well that the the almighty NFL Sunday Ticket.

I do have a sneaking feeling that once Voom rolls out WM9 this will change. If it does, I'll be wishing I had kept that free install! Then again if it doesn't work ... we'll know it is the Motorola hardware in addition to bandwidth ... an HD DVR certainly would spice things up too, if they get to market with it.

I know the Moto box is capable of delivering the WOW factor, it's definately on Voom's end, and they are trying to justify this by making the HD bitrate vary, so that if there is a lot on your screen the bitrate is higher, but in my opinion variable anything causes problems with pixelation and macroblocking, as well as having low b/w causes mosquito noise. I'm sure they feel that's ok to do now since they only offer the most HD... however in the future as companies catch up with HD channels Voom needs to not just offer the MOST HD, but the BEST HD. I'm just waiting for WM9 to see what Voom execs plan to do with the b/w.

TNT's The Grid comes in as hot as OTA CBS IMO, as did the Tyson fight... so while there maybe quirks with the Motobox, it doesn't mean we can't have WOW NOW... ?

I haven't had much negative to say about Voom, but HDNet on dtv had much better PQ than anything I've seen on Voom. I'm still happy with the amount of HD voom has compared to anything else though. The PQ is very good, just not great.

vinnyv07 said:
but then I did notice that DTV's had the edge. Its not fair to compare HDNET to anything on VOOM....but I will say the HDNET has the best PQ. But I guess thats because of the Bandwidth that is given to that ch.

<rant>
I'm so sick of this "you can't compare to hdnet b/c it gets more bandwidth blah blah blah..." line. Is Voom some kind of mentally challenged special-ed kid we're supposed to give a break to if he does marginally okay? Is this still a free market or what? If you can't compete with the best, then you're 2nd rate, end of story. No it doesn't matter that Voom has 40 channels. They could have gone with fewer channels and STILL HAD THE MOST AND BEST PQ HD ANYWHERE! Keep making excuses for them and you'll never get a better product. Then you're no longer a consumer, just a fanboy.
</rant>

HD PQ equal to Dish HD, SD better then Dish. The Motorola receiver is light years better than Dish's 811.

barth2k said:
<rant>
I'm so sick of this "you can't compare to hdnet b/c it gets more bandwidth blah blah blah..." line. Is Voom some kind of mentally challenged special-ed kid we're supposed to give a break to if he does marginally okay? Is this still a free market or what? If you can't compete with the best, then you're 2nd rate, end of story. No it doesn't matter that Voom has 40 channels. They could have gone with fewer channels and STILL HAD THE MOST AND BEST PQ HD ANYWHERE! Keep making excuses for them and you'll never get a better product. Then you're no longer a consumer, just a fanboy.
</rant>

LOL...Head Start for Voom..LMAO, well said, we should ask Voom to be the very best, hell they tell us that are, why not demand it from them. It's a win-win for everyone.

If a woman has a 40c chest is she a better lover?

nuneza said:
HD PQ equal to Dish HD, SD better then Dish. The Motorola receiver is light years better than Dish's 811.

nuneza, didn't I see you fight the other njght... sorry you lost, but Thanks if you're the one who arranged for the rest of us to see you lose for free...

andrzej said:
At least she has a potential...

Well, I guess you guys get the point- being a babe ain't enough- Voom won't survive as just another pretty face, they need amazing PQ and great content. You know- brains and beauty. How's that go? Knockers and noggin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts