Dolan did not start HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Profile of Charles Dolan

Today's mass media world is filled with flurries of conglomerate competition, megamergers, and takeovers. Industries that once regarded each other as competitors are teaming up. Behemoths such as Disney and ABC and Time Warner and Turner Network are combining their resources. Companies are also raising the stakes in high-speed technology: Internet connections, satellite transmissions, and wireless television operations.

One cable company, however, is still managing to go it alone:

Cablevision Systems Corp., based in Long Island, New York, the sixth- largest multisystem cable television company. Cablevision, which is twenty- three years old, is still run by its founder, Charles Dolan. Dolan was also founder of HBO (Home Box Office) and one of the earliest believers in cable sports programming and twenty-four-hour news channels. In addition, he professes to being one of the first few people who believed that cable was more than another way to receive broadcast programs in isolated areas. He has always believed in the unique and local content of cable broadcasting.

Dolan grew up in Cleveland, where he worked his way through high school at a radio station. Later, he and his wife, Helen, operated a small business from their apartment, putting together footage of sports events and selling fifteen-minute reels to television stations. In the early 1960s, he helped start a New York cable company that became Cablevision. After wiring some Manhattan hotels for news and visitor information, his company won the franchise for lower Manhattan. From there, Dolan concentrated on unique programming content.

Cablevision now has 2.8 million subscribers concentrated in nineteen states. The company is so large, an entire Internet site is devoted to the latest news and information about the company and its founder.

In 1995, Cablevision became half owner of Madison Square Garden, with rights to broadcast Knicks, Rangers, and Yankees games. Its programming entity, Rainbow Programming Holdings, Inc., includes American Movie Classics, Bravo, SportsChannel New York, News 12, and three new channels, MuchMusic --which offers a page of entirely new music--NewSport, and the Independent Film Channel. The company is expanding its operations to include local news channels'electronic neighborhoods' called Neighborhood Network and Extra Help. Cablevision's new fiber optic upgrades will give subscribers two hundred digital channels. It will also allow for high-speed Internet connections, interactive television, and an expansion of its telephone subsidiary, Cablevision Lightpath.

Charles Dolan is a man of firsts: he started Home Box Office as a nationwide pay-television service; Cablevision's News 12 was the nation's first local twenty-four-hour cable news operation; and Cablevision's Rainbow Advertising Sales was the first cable advertising sales division in the nation. At the end of 1994, Dolan was worth $715 million.

Wall St. static over
Cablevision Voom

Plugged In

James Dolan compares Voom critics to past naysayers of highly successful HBO, which Charles Dolan created.
Wall Street's fuming over Cablevision's satellite ambitions. Prominent media analyst Richard Greenfield of Fulcrum Global Partners, is trashing Cablevision's Voom satellite, calling it a "black hole."

"Voom does not have the financial capacity to compete and should be shut down or sold for the good of all Cablevision investors immediately," Greenfield wrote. "I do not believe there is one investor (beyond those with the last name Dolan) who owns or does not own the stock who believes this is a good idea," referring to Cablevision bosses Charles and James Dolan.

Greenfield's not the only one seeing red over Voom, the bid by the Dolans to take on satellite giants DirecTV and EchoStar. Many analysts have suggested Cablevision shutter the money-eating satellite, which is late to the game. They want the Dolans to focus on the company's fast-growing, cable, Internet and telecom businesses, which just posted strong results.

The Dolans think otherwise. They note they were late-comers on many ventures and still ended up scoring well. Earlier this week, James Dolan compared Voom's skeptics to early naysayers who dumped on HBO, founded by his father Charles.

Meanwhile, Mike McCarthy, president of Cablevision's MSG Networks - which just lost the Mets - resigned yesterday, but will remain as consultant until his replacement is found.

Industry Trendsetter Charles Dolan Signs on to Keynote
Broadband Opportunity Conference

(Alexandria, VA - September 26, 2001) Charles F. Dolan, Chairman of Cablevision Systems Corporation, has agreed to keynote at the CTAM Broadband Opportunity Conference on November 6-8, 2001 at the Sheraton Premiere Tysons Corner Hotel.

Charles Dolan is an industry veteran who built both the world's first urban cable television system and the industry's first premium program network (HBO). A cable innovator, he heads one of the nation's leading telecommunications and entertainment companies.

bruce said:
You know,I am getting real tired of being misquoted and the name calling
"Then some clown starts a thread saying he didnt create it?"

What was the title of this thread dude-"Dolan did not start HBO "

Which was based on this quote from Mr.Munro
"When we sold Chuck our Long Island systems, he left, but left the concept of HBO with us. Then, it was really only a concept and a dream. I credit Chuck with having had the dream and the concept. But, I credit my colleagues at Time Inc., particularly Jerry Levin, with the wherewithal and the stamina and the energy to take a dream and make it a reality which is what Time Inc. did with HBO."

No where in my title said Dolan did not have have the idea,but he had nothing to do with the business.

Now I took the time before and after I started this thread to see if I could find anything to dis-prove this and I have not,everything I have found backs up what was said in the interview,if you can find anything post it,don't just argue and name call without proof that just shows how self-centered you can be.

There is also a book about the history of Time-Warner as far as the business side goes,if any one can remember the title please post.

screw the book heres a link to 1050 articles referring to Dolan as the creator of HBO. http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=charles+dolan+hbo&tab=Web&fr=my-vert-web-top&btn=Yahoo!+Search+

Need some more? trap shut yet?:rolleyes:

From these postings it sure looks like Dolan was one of many people who had something to do with HBO. If it was 1-conceived 2-started & 3- developed by several people of course all are going to take credit depending on who's bio you read. But they all agree that Dolan was instrumental in the concept. Walt Disney did a lot of dreaming but it was his brother Roy who made it a reality. We do not today have a Roy Disney World!!!

Tvlman said:
From these postings it sure looks like Dolan was one of many people who had something to do with HBO. If it was 1-conceived 2-started & 3- developed by several people of course all are going to take credit depending on who's bio you read. But they all agree that Dolan was instrumental in the concept. Walt Disney did a lot of dreaming but it was his brother Roy who made it a reality. We do not today have a Roy Disney World!!!

FACT: without Dolan creating HBO it wouldnt have existed.
FACT: without TW Dolan would have sold it to someone else to grow and get rich off of.

Now how important was Munro??

I suppose if people are ignorant enough to listen to the clown that Dolan sold it to or TW claim responsibility for creating it and making it a success then thats their perogative. Thats a bit like giving yourself a job performance review and a raise when a farier means would be to have it done by your peers. Bruce's arguement just does not have unbaised facts behinded it. They are as tainted as tainted can be. In any case, the management of the idea was not the reason for success. The idea was.

vurbano said:
screw the book heres a link to 1050 articles referring to Dolan as the creator of HBO. http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=charles+dolan+hbo&tab=Web&fr=my-vert-web-top&btn=Yahoo!+Search+

Need some more? trap shut yet?:rolleyes:

A few of those links that you so kindly provided say things like this:

Charles Dolan Co-founder of HBO. 2001

http://quinnell.us/entertainment/tv/hof/contributors.html

And why are you attacking me on a thread that I last posted on 11-13-04, we all came to the agreement that Dolan came up with the idea of HBO but the other two guys, Mr. Munro and Mr.Levin, were just as instrumental in the business side of it.

There is more to life then attacking me over a thread that was buried back in November.

i lived it..he started sterling-manhattan cable tv(the lower 1/2 of manhattan,nyc which had the first sports and movie for pay ,they broadcast hockey and some movies,besides regular tv 'with no Ghosting" then a problem in NYC..slowly some other cable channels came on board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)