Don't You Hate It When ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
First off, this is a thread for 3D enthusiasts, haters not welcome and those posts will be moved if trolling... (this was a test)
Don't you hate it when it's a slow news day so some hack posts an article like this and quotes Swanni? ;)

Future of 3-D TV Murky as ESPN Ends Channel

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/17/b...as-espn-ends-channel.html?ref=television&_r=0

Btw this is the authors wiki page, he's 5 years out of college and very likely has never seen nor could afford home 3D ...

Last edited:
Btw this is the authors wiki page, he's 5 years out of college and very likely has never seen nor could afford home 3D ...
Never mind that he's been writing about media for nine years and went straight to work for the New York Times out of college.

So if this isn't a thread about trying to discredit and or dismiss those who don't say glowing things about 3D television, what is it?

First off, this is a thread for 3D enthusiasts, haters not welcome and those posts will be nuked immediately ... (report a post if they are not)

Don't you hate it when it's a slow news day so some hack posts an article like this and quotes Swanni? ;)

[h=1]Future of 3-D TV Murky as ESPN Ends Channel[/h]
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/17/b...as-espn-ends-channel.html?ref=television&_r=0

Probably writes that article from his parents home too..

I'd have to agree most "haters" that post here don't have a clue about 3D home sets nor own one. Its amazing how that article says even 3D at the movies has gone down 20% from 2011.. due to the fact that people have to wear 3d glasses.

hasn't 3D always been like that??? Nothing new if you remember Elvira in 3D back in the 80's and 70's :)

First off, this is a thread for 3D enthusiasts, haters not welcome and those posts will be nuked immediately ... (report a post if they are not)

[h=1]Future of 3-D TV Murky as ESPN Ends Channel[/h]
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/17/business/media/future-of-3-d-tv-murky-as-espn-ends-channel.html?ref=television&_r=0

I'm pro 3D, but I strongly disagree with the premise that posts with an opposing viewpoint will be deleted. This website is all about open discussion, and anything short of that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm pro 3D, but I strongly disagree with the premise that posts with an opposing viewpoint will be deleted. This website is all about open discussion, and anything short of that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
The OP, a staff member, has openly and enthusiastically declared it so.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
The reason for no opposing viewpoints is most threads get spammed by the haters and closed, this one will remain for us to complain about them... (or be nuked into oblivion) ;)

Oh so thats where harshness went ;)

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

3D SUCKS ! :D

Seriously though, I've noticed over the last 3-4 days a lot of news articles on the "death of 3D TV sets". It all seems to come from ESPN and their decision to cut their channel. Maybe its a slow news weeks in terms of technology but I really dont see how one channel's demise will end 3D for the home user.

Cheers, K

I've read that UHDTV/4K TV doubles the resolution and makes a very noticeable improvement in the 3D PQ. Has anyone here seen 4K 3D in person and can comment on that? And is it brighter?

3D SUCKS ! :D

Seriously though, I've noticed over the last 3-4 days a lot of news articles on the "death of 3D TV sets". It all seems to come from ESPN and their decision to cut their channel. Maybe its a slow news weeks in terms of technology but I really dont see how one channel's demise will end 3D for the home user.

Cheers, K
This was a test to perhaps show those that do not like 3D how we feel when these articles are posted with no chance of rebuttal ... changed first post to reflect that.

I've read that UHDTV/4K TV doubles the resolution and makes a very noticeable improvement in the 3D PQ. Has anyone here seen 4K 3D in person and can comment on that? And is it brighter?

There shouldn't be a whole lot of difference between 4K passive and 1920/1080 active. There should be a huge difference between the 1080p passive sets and 4K passive.

S~

Don't You Hate It When ...

I get two new 3D Blu Ray disks in and my projector bulb blows and the replacement hasn't arrived yet. I bought one of those phillips bulbs for cheap and it lasted just 700 hours. The Osrams, costing 4 times the price last for 4500 hours.

3D BluRays are coming out so many now it's hard for me to keep up at a budget of only 2 per week.

Navychop- Yes, I have seen many of the new 4K 3D Tv's and while the 32" ones ( Sony workstation OLED monitor) are difficult to see the difference unless seeing about 2 ft away, the 55" and 65 " make a big difference at 7-10 ft viewing distance. On my YouTube website I have several videos in 3D shot of 3D passive TV's both OLED and 4K 3D. Here you may not be able to see that difference as those are YT 1080p videos but you can see the ones I have witnessed.
One of the biggest differences is that with the traditional 1080P 3D passive TV's you can see the fine black horizontal lines at normal viewing distances. With the 3D passive 4K sets those lines are too close to see at normal viewing distances. On the larger 84" Sony and LG 3D the lines are still visible if you get 2 ft away but who watches an 84" TV from 2 ft? :D
Going higher in resolution is all about eliminating the TV lines or pixels and achieving the feel of celluloid continuous film imaging. In a regular LCD/LED TV we have just pixels to blend. In a 3D passive LCD panel we have not just the pixels but also the FPR layer that generates those black lines. Note- Active 3D 4K panels have even greater reduction of the pixels and I have seen the active 3D 4K TV's too. Here the 4K can go to 16 ft wide screen and be film like at 10 ft viewing ( which is too close)

Personally, I plan to add a 65" 4K 3D passive to my HT for daytime viewing. When the price is right I will add it. Passive is so much more comfortable to watch for long hours than active shutter glasses.

There shouldn't be a whole lot of difference between 4K passive and 1920/1080 active. There should be a huge difference between the 1080p passive sets and 4K passive.

S~

It all depends on how close you view the screen. IMO, it makes a difference. My opinion is based on eye witness. If your vision is not sharp, or you sit too far away, you may not see the difference.

Don- I applaud your move to censor out the trolls. Personally, I don't even waste my time reading moronic articles that are full of ignorant opinion on 3D. For three years the debate was valid whether 3D was just a fad or is a trend in the future of TV sets for home viewing. That debate is over. If anything is dead it is the debate on 3D. Those who persist in the debate need to take it to the Pit where those with an agenda to their ignorant opinion are welcome. Let them go freely as moving the topic to the Pit is against Scott's rule for that section. But here, we like to have a discussion for enthusiasts. Thank you!

It sucks we are losing the ESPN 3D channel. If they had shown the same stuff as the current ESPN channel then I think it would have taken off.
Sportscenter in 3D would have been cool.

I was one who felt 3D was not going to go anywhere. I thought it would be a flash in the pan. I couldn't believe anyone would want to wear glasses at home to watch a movie. I figure, at the most, 3D might survive in the theaters, but not at home. Then I got a deal on a Panasonic 3D plasma 55" HDTV. I loved the picture as much as I loved the picture on my 4yo Samsung 40" LCD. Then I started liking the plasma more and more. Plus I kept thinking what a 3D movie would look like on it. So finally I broke down and bought 2 pairs of 3D glasses. Then I got "Finding Nemo" in 3D. I was hooked (excuse the pun). I love watching 3D at home. I got Avengers in 3D and am waiting to get Pi. I was so wrong about 3D. My wife even goes nuts over it. I learned my lesson of passing judgement on something before seeing or hearing it myself. The funny thing is growing up I would always tell people not to judge a song until they heard it in stereo, cause AM didn't do music any justice. Guess I forgot my own rules when it came to 3D TV.
I now sing the praises of 3D TV to everyone who will listen!
Ghpr13:)

Yeah, be sure to tell them you used to believe the world was flat too, but after looking at it you are enjoying how much fun a round, spherical world is. :D

Here's a tip for you. Check out 3D-blurayrentals.com. You can watch many more titles in 3D. I don't subscribe but pay as I go. They are really good people and the ship time is 3 days. Some titles that just come out is up to a 10 day wait but in the year I have been using them they have never failed to ship a title I ordered later than 10 days.

Yeah, be sure to tell them you used to believe the world was flat too, but after looking at it you are enjoying how much fun a round, spherical world is. :D

Here's a tip for you. Check out 3D-blurayrentals.com. You can watch many more titles in 3D. I don't subscribe but pay as I go. They are really good people and the ship time is 3 days. Some titles that just come out is up to a 10 day wait but in the year I have been using them they have never failed to ship a title I ordered later than 10 days.

The site doesn't come up for me.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. (I always knew the world was round...but I also know we never really went to the Moon. It was all done with mirrors is Arizona!) :D
Ghpr13:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)