DP-44 w/Diplexer stopped working

SBD

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
Hi,

I have been having some problems lately with one specific connection that I can't figure out.

I have a DP-44 switch that has 4 receivers connected to it. Two of the connections are normal, and 2 of the connections are shared with cable using a Diplexer. One of those connections works fine, the other one started losing the complete signal.

The first time, I just swapped the Diplexer and it started finding the sat signal again. A few days later though, the signal is gone again.

Any ideas?

Sal

Make sure you do not put a diplexer on port 1 of the DPP44 because that one must be feed from the power inserter. The power requirements are too much for most diplexers and may burn it out.
-Ken

You must use the diplexers posted above on port 1. Or put a receiver that is not using diplexers on port 1.
Can you explain a little more please.
I have port 1 with the power inserter box going to a 301.
Port three goes to a Diplexer( posted above ) set up feeding Sat from port 3 and TV2 from a 625 to another room.

Can you explain a little more please.
I have port 1 with the power inserter box going to a 301.
Port three goes to a Diplexer( posted above ) set up feeding Sat from port 3 and TV2 from a 625 to another room.

If you use diplexers on port 1, you must use the approved blue Holland diplexer. If you don't, then don't worry as your system will continue to work as it is now with the 301 on port 1.

Make sure you do not put a diplexer on port 1 of the DPP44 because that one must be feed from the power inserter. The power requirements are too much for most diplexers and may burn it out.
-Ken

Thank God for this website because I doubt such information would have been forthcoming from Dish tech support. That appears to have been the problem.

Thanks!!

If you use diplexers on port 1, you must use the approved blue Holland diplexer. If you don't, then don't worry as your system will continue to work as it is now with the 301 on port 1.
Got it.
BTW; The first Diplexers( not the blue Holland ) I used on port 3 blew out almost immediately. Claude was nice enough to replace them with the blue Hollands free of charge.

SBD; Glad your up and running/viewing.:)

A By-the-Way: You can connect the power inserter to port 1 of the DPP44 without a receiver on the line. This would let you place the inserter somewhere (indoors) away from your receiver. If you are using all 4 ports then, of course, you have no choice.
-Ken

I realize this thread is a little old. But, I am planning on installing a Dish 1000Plus w/DPP44 and amplified OTA antenna. This will feed 2 dual tuner receivers.

From what I have read above, and elsewhere, it seems the Holland blue diplexers will pass the DPP44 power OK from the supply. But, I'm wondering exactly how to feed power to the OTA antenna amp.

I have attached a crudely drawn diagram of what I think might work. Then again, I wonder if using two different power supplies, one for the DPP44 and one for the OTA amp, in the same setup will even work. Is it possible that the DPP44 PSU can power both?

In any case, if some of you installation experts can take a look at my horrible diagram, and let me know if it would work or if it needs correction, I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• Dish Install.jpg
    Dish Install.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 187
The OTA power inserter should be upstream of all the diplexers. Most diplexers don't pass power on the ANT side.

If you can get it above the OTA splitter, you can avoid possible trouble having to correctly install a power passing splitter.

Got it.
BTW; The first Diplexers( not the blue Holland ) I used on port 3 blew out almost immediately. Claude was nice enough to replace them with the blue Hollands free of charge.

SBD; Glad your up and running/viewing.:)

I was just going to recommend the Holland blue diplexers, but I see someone beat me to it.

We actually stopped carrying the other brands of diplexers and only carry the Holland brand. I find that the Holland ones cost us about $1 more wholesale, but its well worth it to get a quality product.

The Diplexers you see at Radio and Home Depot for $15 are not even as good as the Holland brand we sell for $4.50.

But we figured why carry 2 brands, carry the good brand and be done with it!

Just to confirm what Gary said, from the Tech Portal site:

Standard Configuration:
DISH 1000+ includes a DP Dual Band LNBF and two DP Dual LNBF. A DPP 44 switch must be used in all DISH 1000+ installations (up to 4 DPP receivers).
DP Dual Band LNBF for orbital locations; 118.7°, 119°
DP Dual LNBF for orbital location; 129°,

DP Dual LNBF for orbital location; 110°,

Hi,

I have been having some problems lately with one specific connection that I can't figure out.

I have a DP-44 switch that has 4 receivers connected to it. Two of the connections are normal, and 2 of the connections are shared with cable using a Diplexer. One of those connections works fine, the other one started losing the complete signal.

The first time, I just swapped the Diplexer and it started finding the sat signal again. A few days later though, the signal is gone again.

Any ideas?

Sal
Could be a bad power inserter. Could be a diplexer not designed to handle the amperage put out by the power inserter. Holland Blue diplexers and Aspen silvers work with the DPP 44 switch.
If there is a single wire going to the receiver where the power inserter is located, the diplexer should be between the wall plate and the power inserter.

-Ken
What about the diplexer between the switch and satellite dish? My setup uses a dual diplexer between the ota antenna/dish and a single diplexer at each of 2 receivers. The first combines the signal to one cable and the second splits it inside for the receiver satellite input and ota input. My thinking would be that the switch is what draws the current so the dual diplexer should be ok.
Thanks,
DC