Dreambox DM500S

Status
Please reply by conversation.

someguy_1

Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
I was thinking of getting the Dreambox DM500s. I am very comfortable with Linux/networking but I have read some mixed reviews on picture quality and image sizing. I have a widescreen tv can anyone give any input as to the quality of the dreambox?

I'm in Canada, so whatever is FTA from here. I think ExpressVu has some FTA channels and I haven't really looked into what else, I have two satellites I can use. I'm pretty much a newb with FTA right now and this would be my first receiver. I was mostly considering the Dreambox because it can record to a file share.

someguy_1 said:
I'm in Canada, so whatever is FTA from here. I think ExpressVu has some FTA channels and I haven't really looked into what else, I have two satellites I can use. I'm pretty much a newb with FTA right now and this would be my first receiver. I was mostly considering the Dreambox because it can record to a file share.

From time to time there are a couple of FTA on ExpressVU, and the audio channels are in the clear, but for the most part the only reason (except the rare FTA channel and audio) the only reason to point to 91w DBS is to steal.

Hackers suck!

FTA manufactures that cater to hackers suck.

What satellites would you recommend then? As I said im new to FTA, this is my first attempt at it.

So back to my question, does anyone use Dreambox? Would you recommend for it or against it?

someguy_1 said:
So back to my question, does anyone use Dreambox? Would you recommend for it or against it?

I have a dreambox DB7025 and like it very much. The main reason is the open source OS and the DVR functionality. Granted, this open-ness in nature brings various people and thoughts into the picture, but then its up to the individuals what to do and which principles to follow. Dream Multimedia has a strict policy against unauthorized usage of the box/services and their SW is for pure FTA usage. But, the box and the SW has support for reading subscrption cards that lets you purchase subscription programing as well. I wish this model was available here too (it is mostly for the European market).
I am mostly on IA5, AMC3 and a few other sats, so there is no shortage of FTA here. I am sure you can get these sats up there in Canada as well. You may need a bigger dish though, but I defer that to the old timers here to comment.

So, if you are comfortable with Linux, then go for it.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)