dropped Sirius

wellze

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
I canceled my Sirius plan this week. I was just getting tired of the poor sound quality. I bought a new stereo head unit with a USB port. I can put a lot of tunes a 4 gig. flash drive and the sound is so far better. I have 2 Stratus 5 receivers with the pro. install kit . Just couldn't get the sound anywhere near CD level. customer service didn't try very hard to keep me , they just said if I every want to come back it would be a $15.00 charge to start up . You would think they could at least be able to send out a better sounding signal. Just my 2 cents.

just another thought

Does anyone think the more expensive receivers sound better than the Stratus level ones. I mean if I go out and buy a new starmate will it sound any better or do all receivers sound the same.

will they try to get me to come back

What can I expect from Sirius, will they hound me like Direct has been doing for years to come back. When they come a calling how far should I go to get some free be months. I wouldn't mind going back but for the money the sound just is poor.

You have said that you can put a lot of music that sounds way better off of a flash drive. Sirius-XMs sound quality is not going to get any better. Just let it go and tell them to stop calling you, if they do.

Last edited:
A couple weeks of hounding? You got off lucky. I have their 800 number saved as a contact on my phone still 6 months later because they still call every couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, my son, who is living with us for a few months, enjoys Sirius so much, especially Lithium, he has decided to add it to his own car after the doctors let him go back to work.

I keep a land line with an answering machine. We don't answer the phone. We see the caller ID on screen (thank you Dish) and listen to see if they leave a msg. Family & friends know to speak up & we'll pick up. Most junk callers just hang up. Except the politicians. We still have to skip thru and erase those. So I never speak with telemarketers at home. Especially after I had to hang up on a rude one who kept calling back to harass us. Not cut out for working for a Charity- who'd a thought?

The sound quality was probably 85% of the reason I canceled mine over 2 years ago. Sad to hear nothing has improved 'cause I was thinking of signing up again. Oh well.

satellite radio sounds like crap. i swear i think the better your stereo system is-it reveal more of the tinny digital compression sound. I have a 2005 pontiac gto with JBL/Blaupunkt system and sirius sounds worse in that car than it does my chevy s10 that has a stock stereo and stock speakers.

the expanded frequency capabilities of high end stereos make the low bandwidth of sat radio more noticeable atleast to me.

the type of stereo you use or whether you use FM modulator or direct wire it will still sound crappy.

satellite radio sounds like crap. i swear i think the better your stereo system is-it reveal more of the tinny digital compression sound. I have a 2005 pontiac gto with JBL/Blaupunkt system and sirius sounds worse in that car than it does my chevy s10 that has a stock stereo and stock speakers.

the expanded frequency capabilities of high end stereos make the low bandwidth of sat radio more noticeable atleast to me.

the type of stereo you use or whether you use FM modulator or direct wire it will still sound crappy.

This is probably why satellite radio is successful. I will admit, when I carried my Roady2 into a Penske moving truck, I couldn't tell how compressed and crummy it sounded. Stock radio systems just don't highlight the downfalls of satellite radio. Think of how many people you know who have upgraded sound systems in their car...not too many!

That is true, it is not only harder to replace a lot of factory systems now, but the quality (although still not great) is better now than it was 15 years ago in most newer vehicles.

still not going back

With the new Kenwood stereo and speakers adding the pro install kit from sirius. The sound just never got any better. Just put a CD in and switch back to sirius there is such a difference. Its very poor. Could you imagine if dish would put out a poor signal and there picture quality looked poor , how many customers would they loose. Come on sirius get on the ball and improve the sound quality. Maybe its time to upgrade the signal to HD standards. I would go back if they did that sort of an upgrade.

That is true, it is not only harder to replace a lot of factory systems now, but the quality (although still not great) is better now than it was 15 years ago in most newer vehicles.

Not that it has Sirius, but we discovered that our 2003 Accord radio must be replaced by the same model. Thankfully, ours was under an extended warranty. The temp controls/displays etc are all part of the radio, and the controls are separately located. So you can't really replace the radio with another.

Yup, that's one of the ones I was talking about.........forget about an aftermarket stereo.
For most people that's not an issue but if you're talking about purchasing a replacement out of warranty, look out!!

Yep. Close to $1,000 for radio and installation, taxes, etc, for ours.

quality

With the new Kenwood stereo and speakers adding the pro install kit from sirius. The sound just never got any better. Just put a CD in and switch back to sirius there is such a difference. Its very poor. Could you imagine if dish would put out a poor signal and there picture quality looked poor , how many customers would they loose. Come on sirius get on the ball and improve the sound quality. Maybe its time to upgrade the signal to HD standards. I would go back if they did that sort of an upgrade.

actually compared to c band ....dish's HD pic is just as poor in relationship to sirius radio compared to a master broadcast ITC c band masterfeed. You don't know what your missing if you never see it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts