DSR-4500X

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anony55

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
USA
I bought a lot of 3 Motorola DSR-4500X units off of the flea. I just got them in yesterday and began to play last night. So far, I've only hooked up 2 of them. But I've plugged in all 3 & they do all have good UIDs (# on LCD matches # on back label).

I read that some these units were specially programmed for ESPN, NBC or others (read this at familynet.com). At that site, they say boxes keyed like this "will not work with any other network signal". None of these have an ESPN or NBC logo or sticker on them. But I still can't be sure of the history of them.

My problem is that I can get a good DC signal lock, let it download the VCTs & channels, select the proper VCT & channel numbers, but the authorize light won't come on... even on channels @ 91° that are confirmed FP from my 922 (options 6,0,5 thing).

I'm pretty sure I'm getting the RF Input setup right, along with the TP info. I've even factory reset one of the boxes & setup from scratch so that the only VCTs & channels in memory would be freshly downloaded from the current TP. Still no authorize light.

I either have something weird up with my 4500s, or I'm missing a step somewhere... I'm hoping it's the latter. Is there any info on the "Fast Facts" screen that would help me figure this out? Any help or ideas is appreciated.

Cheers

Hmm..authorization light. Offhand, I can't remember if any of my commercial receivers have that. I wonder if that's something the later generation receivers have. I'm betting that the box is searching for a authorization stream sent down similar to the "trips" 4DTV DCII boxes use to activate??

I figured it out last night. I read a 4 year old post on another forum that provided the clue. The box is locking the signal fine. But the 4500x wants all the definitions in the RF setup to 100% match the information in the VCT.

This means if the sat name in the VCT is G14, and you designate it as G-14 or G5... you'll get signal lock but no authorize light or video. Same thing goes for polarity & port #.

I tested this last night. After I finally got the authorize light & video, I changed the polarity in the 4500x's port definition. This of course didn't actually change the "real" polarity or change the signal, that's set by the 922 that the 4500x is slaved to.

After the change, no video. Changed the definition back, video again. Does anyone know how to find out the info that's in the VCT (other than calling the provider, lol) so that I don't have to guess at how the provider spelled the sat name & ect? If so, please post the information.

At least I know that one of the 3 boxes is good. I'll test the other 2 on the same channel later tonight.

Cheers

TSReader with Genpix or DVBTech card should show that information.
What muxes are you interested in? I can check them with TSReader and my DVBTech card.

TSReader with Genpix or DVBTech card should show that information.
What muxes are you interested in? I can check them with TSReader and my DVBTech card.

What a nice offer photoman! ...and what a nice setup too. I'll most likely contact you privately once I figure which ones I'm interested in. Thanks again!

Cheers

...Does anyone know how to find out the info that's in the VCT (other than calling the provider, lol) so that I don't have to guess at how the provider spelled the sat name & ect?...

Great news! I figured out how to get this information from the unit itself. It's nice to be able to get the info without having to rely on an outside source. I may still avail myself of photoman's offer if I run into unexpected results from a stream somewhere.

The process is a little too complicated for a normal post, even though it's actually pretty easy after you understand how. But I could possibly write a "how to" guide if there's members interested.

The DSR-4500x is turning out to be a pretty nice unit after all. I've really only played with 2 sats so far. All I can say is... holy cow, Lyngsat doesn't tell the whole story by a long shot. ;)

Cheers

The DSR-4500X is a bit funny. You need to set RF parameters first, I think, then wait a few seconds after it locks the signal for the VCT to download. Once it downloads, you'll have the option to only pick one, then you pick the channel you want. The order you do it is important, because if you mess it up you'll need to factory reset it, and set up everything all over again. I think if you put the EMM ID for NPS or HITS or something, convert the unit address to hex and try to get it authorized, saying it's a Motorola sidecar, it should work. The good thing is that it has ASI output, so it'll pass transport streams to a QAM modulator or something.

I only play with commercial DCII IRDs, so thats how I know so much about them. :p I recommend DSR-4410s and DSR-4530s, but you can't convert them to hex and try to get them authorized with a 4DTV provider, because they'll say the number is wrong. The DSR-4402X is similar to a 4410 except the 4410 has IP output and monitoring. The 4530 has 8 RF inputs for RF failover, and transport stream output over IP as well as ASI.

I think I'll stick with my Digitrans DTE-7150. The DSR-4500X seems like a step backwards or am I missing something?

I would be interested.

Thanks in advance.

It may be a couple of weeks (pretty busy right now). But I'll try 'n put something together.

...Once it downloads, you'll have the option to only pick one, then you pick the channel you want...

Actually, in many cases, it will DL more than one sat name into the VCT from the TP. But only one will work. It can make it a little time consuming when this happens.

...The order you do it is important, because if you mess it up you'll need to factory reset it, and set up everything all over again...

I find that I factory reset with regularity. It just makes it easier to tell what's in memory from the current TP.

...I think if you put the EMM ID for NPS or HITS or something, convert the unit address to hex and try to get it authorized, saying it's a Motorola sidecar, it should work...

That's interesting stuff. I have 3 of these, and all 3 function & have good UIDs. I might have to try that with the W5 stuff on one of them.

I think I'll stick with my Digitrans DTE-7150. The DSR-4500X seems like a step backwards or am I missing something?

Well, I don't have a Digitrans. But from what I've read, I think you're right. The good thing about the 4500x is that it is easier to find, cheap, & still does all the different SRs & modulations. Plus, it does have the ASI out if you ever need it.

But from what I understand, the Digitrans & DSR-48xx are much easier to use. That's probably why the price difference.

Cheers

For some reason I was thinking the DSR-4500X was a newer version of the Digitrans, but now I see it's a less expensive option and doesn't do DVB like the Digitrans.

So does the DSR48xx receivers... which are actually the same units as Digitrans, lol.

I don't recall seeing any 4:2:2 DCII stuff listed on Lyngsat off the top of my head. The Digitrans & DSR48xx would be useful for 4:2:2 DVB though. I suppose they would do 4:2:2 DCII if any existed. But IMHO, there are more user friendly options for 4:2:2 DVB... and they do HD as well.

BTW, I keep learning more & more tuning tricks on the 4500x (late at night while the wife sleeps). The guide should be pretty helpful when I get a round to it.

Cheers

Do any of the commercial Motorola receivers handle 4:2:2 video?

I believe the HDD-1000 might handle that. So feed the hsi out into an HDD-1000 decoder. Note that's not a typo. Older DCII receivers had hsi instead of ASI like the newer ones have and all HDD-1000s had hsi in. Some of them had ASI as well. of course some old DCII receivers had something called "DHEI". Those usuallly came after the ones with hsi and before the ones with ASI. Also I believe DHEI was kind of a proprietary thing and it may be hard to find equipment that supports it.

Last edited:
I think if you put the EMM ID for NPS or HITS or something, convert the unit address to hex and try to get it authorized

I'm looking for help on converting the UA on a DSR4500x to HEX - can anyone help?

TIA!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)