DSR-4810

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JAS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
In the USA
I recently picked up a DSR-4810 receiver. It was fairly inexpensive so I took a gamble and purchased it. I'm having some issues with it. Hopefully someone can help resolve them.

Like Putney's 4800 the rotary selector (edit knob) was damaged and I too was able to piece back the parts and it is functional now.

1. When first fired up (during the self check I guess) the signal bar goes all the way up then back to none. But cannot get a signal reading anywhere after manual tuning in either DC-II Manual mode or DVB mode.

2. I first hooked it up directly to my dish but the setting for the LNB setting will not take either low or high. When set to either one they revert back to off even after saving.

To test it out I now have it slaved off my 922 and don't know if it's a brick or not. The GI-ACE number was all Zeros. I tuned the 922 to a DC-II transponder and the ACE loaded but no sticker on the back to compare the numbers. And after tuning frequency, sym and all the other required settings for a transponder I get flashing Authorize and RF Lock LED's on a DC-II signal but still no signal on the bars. I get nothing when DVB mode.

There are all kinds of LED's on the circuit boards some or green some red one yellow I know they are telling me some thing but what I don't know

I do know one thing----If your a ---- button pushing ---- knob turning---- type person ---This is the receiver for you.:D

Reminds me of

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachments/44098d1257529066-i-had-brain-flatulence-man-woman-jpg

Just replace Man with Consumer and Woman with Commercial

This is in the manual:

"Note: The receiver must be tuned and RF Locked onto a valid GI satellite signal for the ACE number to become active."

As long as I'm on a DCII signal I can get ACE numbers to load even though I'm not getting the RF to lock :confused:

I Do Truly Love This Freaking Hobby

I think the problem is that I have to long of a cable run 150'

I was trying the 4810 up stairs where my AzBox and Pansat9200 are located. Those boxes are almost pegged in quality even on several of the -S2 feeds. Apparently the signal is not strong enough for the 4810.

I took the 4810 down stairs where the DSR-922 is and hooked it up. I now get signal bars but they go up to about six or seven bars then down to none, the BER is still pegged and no RF Lock. From the manual I figured out how to read signal level in the 4810 and it shows I'm still way low.

After moving the box downstairs my cable run is sill 125'

Will some type of signal amplifier work??

No it won't do S2. I was just using the cable that I use for my AzBox and some times the Pansat. Cable is slaved off the 922 witch drives the C band dish. I was just trying to show that there is plenty of signal level for those receivers to Lock on. However, the 4810 will not lock on any DCII or DVB signal.

Last edited:
This is in the manual:

"Note: The receiver must be tuned and RF Locked onto a valid GI satellite signal for the ACE number to become active."

I dont see this foot note in the pdf but is true from personal experience http://anubis.macross.com/~christr/satforums/DSR-4800 Series Manual.pdf

so you have a different manual? and...

Does it have the actual serial RS-232 programming specs by chance? or does it just mention its capabilities?

JAS said:
I think the problem is that I have to long of a cable run 150'

The cable run from my Bud directly connected to my DTE7100 is over 300'. 80% of the run is rg-11, but nevertheless you can rule this out.

I don't think I've ever seen the RF Locked flash. It's either on or off. Authorize flashes when you are not authorized to receive a channel. It's solid when you are authorized. I've been able to view channels fine with just one yellow signal bar and maxed BER. Although it's best to reduce BER to a minimum if possible.

Attachments

• GI+DSR-4810_Operator_Guide.pdf
    713.7 KB · Views: 249
I think Rf lock flashes when the channel ( in manual mode ) is not in the Mux. If threre are 3 channels in the mux they are 1, 2, 3, and you are set for ch4.. J

ust change the mpg Number with the EDit Knob.. If the knob still even does that since you say its busted....

I fixed the knob. I did go into the VCT / MPG menu and dialed to the various numbers. I have just about come to the conclusion that something related to the RF and LNB circuit has gone bad. I did open up the box and looked but cannot see any thing that looks fried or leaking. Found a jumper inside which said ACE bypass. My thoughts were if the ACE is bad it might be causing the RF not to lock . So I removed the jumper but there was no change.

I have just about come to the conclusion that something related to the RF and LNB circuit has gone bad. I did open up the box and looked but cannot see any thing that looks fried or leaking. Found a jumper inside which said ACE bypass. My thoughts were if the ACE is bad it might be causing the RF not to lock . So I removed the jumper but there was no change.

Using the DSR4800 as a slave is prolly something every owner does anyway.
And if your concerned about the ACE, just goto a FP DC2 signal and hook up the DSR to a TV. Not the solution you want to hear, but...

The UA should also be printed on the ACE module. Every DSR/DTE UA I see on EBAY are 000-03141-*****-235. If your 1st, 2nd, and 4th group are identical your UA is prolly fine.

Also RF will not stay locked unless you have every setting correct. Besides putting the DSR in DC2 manual mode, you also need to set the correct DC2 modulation mode under the LNB settings. RF should lock at this point, but AUTHORIZE will continue to flash under two conditions:1. if the DC mux is NOT in ZK of FP status or 2.you are NOT dialed in to an active PID in the mux.

Very seldom do I use the DSR and everytime I have an issue like you and have to relearn it seems, but I will check soon and confirm my statements

Try using input 2-4 instead of 1.

If you have any pins on the PCB you want me to test let me know. Good Luck

JAS said:
I do know one thing----If your a ---- button pushing ---- knob turning---- type person ---This is the receiver for you.
This is why I want the DSR serial programming specs.
Thanks for the link. Different for sure, but doesnt have the serial info.

To others interested in serial control please send an email to die@dieconsulting.com (found on the 4d forums)
This guy (David Emery) claims to currently maintain the serial DSR driver for TSReader. He also told me in an email on January 11, 2011 that he would send me the PDF of the serial receiver control docs. One day later he responded and said he cant find the PDF, but does have a hard copy that he can scan. I have not heard from him since. Maybe someone else can try to get his attention.

The UA should also be printed on the ACE module. Every DSR/DTE UA I see on EBAY are 000-03141-*****-235. If your 1st, 2nd, and 4th group are identical your UA is prolly fine.

Dah ( As I slap mysef around). I seen the sticker on the ACE but was so concerned about other things that I over looked that the serial number was there. It's 000-3141-xxxxx-167. The 167 is not displayed on the 4810 screen but the other numbers match.

If you have any pins on the PCB you want me to test let me know.

Thanks I may take you up on this later. Is it Ok if I do by PM. If we ever find the problem I'll post it in the open fourm.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)