DSR 550 doorstop?

fehujber

Original poster
May 17, 2005
Ok here is the mother of all. I just (last week) bought a used DSR550 rec. off e-bay. Hooked up via composites and powered on all Ok. I just wanna get some OTA programs. Yes I have my map from antenna web.
That was the easy stuff. The prev. owner had some Ohio and Detroit channels in there already. I am near Philla Pa. with a fairly long list of available channels. Now comes the fun the previous owner put a pin on the system settings and the parental controls he has gone conveniently on vacation. I show software version 7.37. How can I delete or override the pins and if I do a factory reset will I lose all? Must I download a map and how do I with Voom asta la bye bye. Finally WHY can I not tune the frequency I want and recieve my ota HD. Or can I and I am doing something stupid, wrong. Stupid mistakes are my hallmark. Oh yea I'm using a 30 yr old uhf antenna and a RCA without the amp. But I,m only 22 miles from the antenna's I want. I do want a Terk 38 but gotta convince the wife that HD is worth the money I'm spending :

have you tried 4 zeros for the pin . you can not override the pin it has to be reset by voom and if you do a factory reset you mae loose everything. and you will not get hd with that antenna you will need to get a hd antenna if you are only 22 miles away you should be able to use the sensor II wingard antenna.

t

Welcome to the forum, fehujber!
Try "0000" as a pin. If this doesn't work, you will have to contact the previous owner.
Whatever you do, do not do the Factory Reset, or your box will become a true doorstop! ;)

(TYORK beat me!)

Thanks the zeros worked, put a 10 db amp on the old antenna and am getting 96%. Now if I could figure out how to adjust the volume I'd be real happy. I have the TV turned all the way DOWN to 0 and it is still loud. I'll get it!

TYORK said:
and you will not get hd with that antenna you will need to get a hd antenna if you are only 22 miles away you should be able to use the sensor II wingard antenna.

t
I totally disagree with this statement. There is no such thing as an HD antenna. There is only a fancy title for an antenna, that they use to charge you more money for the antenna.

"HD" Antennas are just regular UHF antennas.. there is nothing special about them, other than a fancy name.