DSR-922 Analog Audio Over SPIDF (EC vs A4)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anony55

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
USA
A while back, I downgraded my 922 to the A4 firmware to defeat the ratings ceiling bug. Afterwards, I noticed that the audio no longer worked on analog channels (or so I thought). Last night, I was messing around with it again, and sure enough, the audio does still work on the analog channels.

I figured out to get sound on the analog channels, that I needed to switch my AV receiver to analog audio (line in). The sound for analog channels doesn't work over SPIDF. Funny thing is, it seemed like analog audio used to work over SPIDF (although, I'm not sure about that). So I got to wondering if the EC firmware had provisions for that, which A4 didn't have. Remember, EC is newer than A4.

If any of you guys have a 922 with EC firmware still in it, and are connected to a DD AV receiver via SPIDF... could you tune one of the analog channels and see if the audio is passed via SPIDF?

I could be all wet about this. But it sure seems like I didn't have to switch the AV receiver to line in on the analog channels back on EC.

Cheers

Can't help you out with the SPIDF part but am glad you finally figured out your problem.
I don't remember that being part of the firmware upgrade but I could be mistaken as it was a long time ago that firmware was put out.
I do remember something about the EC firmware being able to do the 11.71 SR which the A4 was not able to do.
But since there is only 1 or 2 channels using that 11.71 SR the benefits of not having the ratings ceiling screen blocking any FP channels that did not have it set made A4 a better firmware then EC.

Back when I got my first 922 it came with the A4,EC was out at that time but I didn't let it do the 2 am dish move so it didn't get the update.Anyway my box had what I called the hour and six minute audio crash.When watching a digital channel for that period of time the sound would start to break up and dropout.Asking over at SatForums they said it was a know bug and EC would fix it.So I got the update and after that the sound was fine.Now the question is if at some point I do the MM and put A4 back in the box,will the dreaded 1h6m return?

Well A4 and the new maps are two separate things completely.
You do not need to downgrade to A4 to place the maps in the receiver.
Nor the other way around.
I have 922 receivers with A4 and EC and both have the new maps.
Remember that the maps are just that, the mappings only, of the receiver.
Since these receives were based upon total control and dependance upon GI/Motorola for everything as in Time, channels mapped in the receiver, both Analog and DC2.
The Map Restoration is only putting back into the users control the ability to put into the receiver the mappings of the Analog and DC2 signals. To be able to lock onto signals as with any FTA DVB receiver the user needs to input all the numbers associated with it to be able to lock and scan the signal, With the 4DTV this was done unseen by the end user by the master controller (Motorola in this case), now it is back in the hands of the end user.

Some people wanted satellites to appear by the degree and not the name as it made it easier for them and I know of 1 person who did that on their maps and instead of showing G4 which is located at 99.0W their receiver now just shows "99". They did this for each C-band sat tile.
So there are variations of what the end user can do themselves when it comes to this.
However the A4 firmware downgrade is a totally separate item and one does not have to do it if they do not wish to.
Again it is a personal preference.

As to the audio question, I have not seen this here but I have see an audio sync problem on 1 of the 922's with A4 yet another one with A4 does not have that problem. And that is after some time sitting on a channel the audio does not sync properly with the picture. A quick change of the channel corrects it though.

I realize the maps and firmware are two different animals,it was just more of a question of whether anyone had noticed a return of audio issues after going back to A4.It's kinda academic at the moment anyway since I don't have a job anymore so the toy budget has pretty much evaporated.Might be time to get a couple of the 922's ready for a trip to Venezuela.:D

As for the analog audio getting passed to a DD AV receiver via SPIDF, it works fine for me with firmware EC. I can't remember for sure if it worked back on firmware A4 or not. There are a few audio settings in the menu, I don't know if any of them would cause a loss of audio on the analog channels, but I know the analog audio outputs don't work if you choose the 5.1 Digital for the SPDIF output instead of Stereo.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts