DSR410 thoughts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
I have been reading about the DSR410 receivers here and so far sounds great. I was thinking of setting one up for my father. But the big question in my mind is...Does the DSR410 have a battery? I simply hate the thought of this going dead like in the 4DTV boxes. When were these STBs made?

As far as old units having balances on them so what? I can't believe the economics? Let's see, a new paying customer equals income, an old unit thrown in the trash equals nothing. Give it a new life, think green.

Skyvision has the potential for something big here, let's hope it works for all of us. If this pans out perhaps new receivers could be licensed. It would be foolish to commit to a limited number.

...As far as old units having balances on them so what? I can't believe the economics? Let's see, a new paying customer equals income, an old unit thrown in the trash equals nothing...
The problem is that the new paying customer is not paying the company that they owe the balance to. Plus, if you start just forgiving balances, then there's gonna be a mess of people trying to take advantage of that system by not paying bills, trading boards, etc.

I still curious about this "balances on receivers" theory. In my 20 year C band and later 4DTV experience, when the day comes that the subscription period ends the signal turns off. I have changed sub packages many times and let it ride to the last day before changing. Unless something was in fixed key mode it always stopped that day. My programming always required payment in advance before becoming active. Did other providers do it differently?

If there are balances owed on the account I think it unlikely the the box continued to receive much of anything it wasn't subbed to. If the provider couldn't collect from the subscriber I fail to see why that ends the life of the box. The person should be subject to a collection agency as with other bills not the box itself.

I guess I'm just bullheaded about this issue as far as the hardware is concerned. Like if a phone bill or internet provider isn't paid, do we throw the phone or computer away?

Why wonder ? If you want the service, go for it. Maybe there were some companies that let people go past their due date without immediately cutting them off (I bet Direc and dish won't let that happen!) Regardless, they can still keep records to say who owned what box that didn't pay.... Now, the likelihood of them ever collecting from a new owner of the old box, I couldn't say.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)