DSR922 Updates

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dwingel

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 18, 2005
Durango, Colorado
Since I slaved my DSR922 to the LNB pass thru on my Coolsat I no longer get the updates overnight on G1-3. I have the timer on the Coolsat set to turn on and power the LNB from midnight to 4am. When I am viewing a 4DTV channel on X4, the trip counter registers updates. Anyone know what is happening? Thanks.

A guess

dwingel said:
Since I slaved my DSR922 to the LNB pass thru on my Coolsat I no longer get the updates overnight on G1-3. I have the timer on the Coolsat set to turn on and power the LNB from midnight to 4am. When I am viewing a 4DTV channel on X4, the trip counter registers updates. Anyone know what is happening? Thanks.

I presume that your 4dtv is set to allow the dish to move to G1 for guide updates at night?

Are you set up with a splitter (coax in...and split off to the FTA)

Never tried to look at the trip counter while on X4 but that usually means you are getting a hit! (but on X4????)

Try this: go to G1 03 and HOLD DOWN the guide button for at least a minute on the the remote...that will force an update....this will just confirm your guide is authorized! If it does not update the guide, call the provider and ask for a hit!

Long shot but worth a try!

regards
jeff

Last edited:
Don't know why it won't get the updates any longer. You might try reversing the slave set-up and try slaving the Coolsat from the 922, I would, actually I do. If that don't work or even if it does, you can put the sat on G1/G15 channel 3 (or a virtual channel) and press options, 6 , 0, 5, and if necessary enter your password (master-92121) if not go to Diagnostics F page, press info, press guide, it will change to guide showing a search, go back into options, 6, 0, 5, enter password again if necessary, if not, go to Diagnostics F page and watch the screen, on the 4th line down, 3rd or 4th column over is your memory, mine is a 920 and shows 860, yours being a 922 is probably more/bigger, on the 3rd line down, in the same column over, is the actual memory, you are waitng for the count from this line to get below 50, mine has gotten as low as 4 and a few times just above 50, at 52-54 and would not get any lower, usually it's around 40-46, once you see it stop moving and it's at 50 or below, you're finished and the guide should be working, if it's the guide you're trying to get. If you trying to get the channel maps, this probably won't help. Hope this does you some good.

Al

Last edited:
Since the 922 is controlling the actuator / skew anyways, why not just pick up some HF splitters?

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Multi-LNBF/BUD-Slave-KIT-II.htm

I have mine setup this way and it works pretty nice. The 922 will do it's thing and won't ever care that the Coolsat is there. With your present setup you have to switch sats / change the channel to get H/V with the 922 so operating the Coolsat will the the same as you do now and the 922 will operate as it did pre-Coolsat.

I bought the 3-way HF splitters with one leg power pass from Sadoun and made my own cables.

Last edited:
Actually that's how mine is, I just call it slaving cause the 920 controls everything. I use a 2Ghz. 4x1 splitter with 1 output power pass, use it for the 920 and the other 3 outputs go to diseqc switches on 3 FTA receivers. I use 1 splitter for C-band and 1 splitter for ku-band. It works great.

Al

Yep...

Shawn95GT said:
Since the 922 is controlling the actuator / skew anyways, why not just pick up some HF splitters?

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Multi-LNBF/BUD-Slave-KIT-II.htm

I have mine setup this way and it works pretty nice. The 922 will do it's thing and won't ever care that the Coolsat is there. With your present setup you have to switch sats / change the channel to get H/V with the 922 so operating the Coolsat will the the same as you do now and the 922 will operate as it did pre-Coolsat.

I bought the 3-way HF splitters with one leg power pass from Sadoun and made my own cables.

WHAT SHAWN SAID!

Here is a link that I think Shawn contributed to the faq.... for the splitter setup! Hi Shawn!!!!

http://www.dmsiusa.com/add_a_receiver.htm

Thanks for all the responses. I'll try to respond in order.

1. I can get the guide to update as jeff sugested. I am using the LNB pass thru on the Coolsat to reduce the number of coax connections and splitters/diplexers. My experience with CCTV suggests this is the way to get purer and stronger signal.
2. Al, I did get channel maps after a master reset. It is only the auto overnite updates I don't get. Used to get 12 to 14 updates a week, so I thought more than the guide was being updated.
3. I'm using a deseqc at the LNB head and need the Coolsat to control that, which is why the 922 is now slaved to the Coolsat. I check the wiring diagrams for ideas

Thanks again,
Dale

Shawn,
If I understand, I connected a Ku LNB directly to the 922 with separate coax ie. the 922 is powering the Ku LNB since I could not use the universal LNBF L.O. freq of 10.600GHz with the 922. The C-band LNB, universal Ku LNBF and DSS LNBF are powered by hte Coolsat. So C-band is fed thru the Coosat to the 922. Hope this makes sense.
Dale

I think there is your problem

dwingel said:
Shawn,
If I understand, I connected a Ku LNB directly to the 922 with separate coax ie. the 922 is powering the Ku LNB since I could not use the universal LNBF L.O. freq of 10.600GHz with the 922. The C-band LNB, universal Ku LNBF and DSS LNBF are powered by hte Coolsat. So C-band is fed thru the Coosat to the 922. Hope this makes sense.
Dale

I do not think (NOT SURE) that the coolsat can pass the voltage needed for the 4dtv correctly for the setup.....again, not sure.

Sure fire way to test is to disconnect the c band pass thru and go back to a direct hookup from the dish coax to the 4dtv...If you wake up to the guide...VOILA!!

Strongly recommend you use the High Freq splitter(s) that have power pass thru on 1 LEG ONLY Power pass thru to the 4dtv side) as Shawn recommended, and that the diagram shows (My 922 and FTA STB are hooked up that way from the start) make sure the splitter goes up to 2100 mhz min since there are lots of them that will not pass the signal needed for the 4dtv.

To be Honest, I did not find too much FTA on C band that interested me (not too much fta on C band anyway) so I took off that splitter and now just split off the KU band signal, since Most FTA stuff is on KU, and the back of my system looks mangeled enough...the loss of 2 more coax cables (not the most flexible stuff in the world) does not hurt my feelings at all....:D

regards
jeff

Maybe it'll work if you make sure that the channel that the Coolsat tunes to is a horizontal polarity channel so that the LNB will get the full +18V.

I've very happy with my splitters / DiSEqC switch combonation.

If I power the C-band LNB from the 4DTV I'll need another coax since the 4DTV cannot, to my knowledge, operate the DiSEqC switch. I have been powering the C-band LNB with 13V and getting 99% quality on G1-3. I'll try 18V tonight.
Dale

Yea! Got updates last night with the LNB powered at 18V. Thanks Shawn! Since ther is no increase in signal level or quality at 18V, just what circuit or function is being powered by the higher voltage?
Cheers,
Dale

dwingel said:
Yea! Got updates last night with the LNB powered at 18V. Thanks Shawn! Since ther is no increase in signal level or quality at 18V, just what circuit or function is being powered by the higher voltage?
Cheers,
Dale
Hehe - no idea why it helps if you are able to watch TV with 13v, but I read on here that the C-band LNBs are sketchy at 13v.

Sounds like you've got a solution that works. Ain't broke, don't fix it ;).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)