DSSBuys (What Happen?)

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
I haven't heard anything out of Mike and company in awhile. I know a few months back, they had computer problems and since then, it was all down hill from there. There site is not fully operational anymore. I had great service through them no doubt. I always recieved more then what I paid for. I guess when our receivers get turned off, we will have to search for other solutions. Anywho, if you guys are in here, let us know what's going on through PM or whatever.

That has been my concern. What happens if they don't release your STB? Then it sounds like you are really hosed. I know of one major broker that will only deal with new equipment (I guess they get a kickback for "installation" as well).

if you bought and paid for the set top box, how can the broker refuse to release it, does the broker have any claim to it?

daves1 said:
if you bought and paid for the set top box, how can the broker refuse to release it, does the broker have any claim to it?

since the broker has your info, they can be dinks and not release it.

I've heard a lot fo horro stories about Freeway not releasing boxes from accounts if you want to change brokers

I just dropped my broker not for bad service but I found someone
in Windsor ( no simsubs) !!! who is letting me use their address. Since I found out my account no
and figured out the address the broker used, I changed it myself and placed a password on the account just in case.

daves1 said:
I just dropped my broker not for bad service but I found someone
in Windsor ( no simsubs) !!! who is letting me use their address. Since I found out my account no
and figured out the address the broker used, I changed it myself and placed a password on the account just in case.

I believe that BEV simsubs the country regardless of location. SC does not.

I did a google search and I think DSSBuys's phone number might be (716) 329-2133

Try calling them and see what's going on

My *C programming died last week for non-pament. Called *C fishing for info, took me 3 calls before I get a nice CSR that would give me some info based with just my ird S/N. My account is over $300 with late fees in the rears and have not been paid in almost 3 months. Can you say two 315ird Door-stops ? I knew you could. :p

Very disappointed in Mr Dssbuys aka Mike Brown, He pocketed a lot of money on the way out the door

Looking for a new broker where my money goes right to *C this time. Found a few that works this way.

thanks for reading my rant :p

Last edited:
my first post (sorry second) so please be nice....but correct me if I am wrong...

simsubs:
assumming you are watching "24" on FOX which is also shown on "Global"at the same time. What BEV does is replace the FOX feed with the Global feed. So if you're flipping between FOX and Global there's no difference. So what you get is the same "24" episode but with Global's CDN commercials etc.

That's why the SuperBowl in Canada is a thumbs down in Canada, unless you have SC.

from the wikipedia :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simsub

Simultaneous substitution or simsub, in Canadian broadcasting, is the practice by which cable, direct broadcast satellite and multichannel multipoint distribution service television distribution companies substitute a local Canadian signal over a non-Canadian or non-local signal, when two or more stations are airing the same programming at the same time.

Although sometimes controversial, this practice is required by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission as a way to protect the broadcast rights and commercial revenues of Canadian television broadcasters, by ensuring that the Canadian commercials are seen by nearly all viewers of the program.

For example, Global airs several hit American series such as The Simpsons. With simultaneous substitution, Global can ensure that advertisements purchased on their network are seen by nearly all Canadians watching the show at that particular time, rather than losing advertising revenue because some viewers were seeing the FOX affiliate's commercials instead. This issue is at its most controversial during the Super Bowl, where the simsub situation usually keeps Canadian audiences from seeing the American commercials that they would actually want to view during the Super Bowl. The replacement ads are often the same ones seen on Canadian television at all other times of the year, although the amount of "original" creative content by Canadian advertisers during recent editions has increased significantly.

Simultaneous substitutions are performed by the cable, satellite or MDS distributor, from a list submitted by the station in advance. Simultaneous substitution applies only to those methods of distribution. In principle, Terrestrial signals available in Canadian border markets are not, and cannot be, simsubbed. As well, simsubs can only be applied by cable companies in areas where the local station is available terrestrially.

Simsubs can only occur when a local and a non-local station are airing identical programming. Using the Simpsons example above, Global can only simsub a FOX affiliate airing the same episode of The Simpsons in the same time slot (hence "simultaneous"). The network cannot simsub if FOX is airing a different episode, and it cannot simsub a FOX affiliate airing the show at a different time.

However, one station, NTV in St. John's, has a reputation for being particularly sloppy about this; cable viewers frequently find NTV's programming, which can be as much as five minutes out of sync with respect to the American signals, substituted over signals that are sometimes not even carrying the same programming. (In fairness to the station, the substitution itself is performed by local cable operator Rogers Cable, although the station is responsible for requesting the substitutions.)

As well, some American stations whose signals are distributed in major Canadian cities (especially stations in rural northern Vermont which depend on carriage in Montreal for their financial viability, and to a lesser extent stations in Buffalo, New York, near Toronto) intentionally counterprogram against this rule, altering their schedules so that their programming is not simsubbed. This can set off so-called "chess games" between American television stations and the Canadian TV stations that air their Stateside counterparts' programming.

Although the market share and revenue provided by simultaneous substitution is a boom to the Canadian commercial broadcast television industry, the extent to which their schedules depend on matching American scheduling creates the unintended, and sometimes controversial, consequence of making it difficult to find viable timeslots in which to develop audiences for Canadian series.

so in a nutshell, if 2 channels are showing the same thing at the same time (one canadian channel, one US channel), the US channel gets "simsubbed" with the Canadian channel.

The issue with EVu & SC is the law says you are only suppose to do it on channels you have on your system that you are in a Grade B signal to. This is only for stations that are OTA (CBC, CTV, CH, Global, City, A-Channel, etc) and not cable channels.

So if I lived in Toronto, I get simsubbed on almost everything. But if I lived in say Medicine Hat, Alberta I get no simsubs as there are no OTA stations in my area carried on satellite (cable might be different). Also, it has to be the ORIGINAL station, not a translator station. It goes by postal code and StarChoice follows it. I found a way for no simsubs (well, only a few). I have Spokane US Nets and my "address" is Toronto area. So unless a live sports event is on (NFL) I get NO simsubs.

ExpressVu uses their own way of simsubs...everyone gets them regardless of location. So if you live in Tor, Vancouver, Thunder Bay or Yellowknife you get the same simsub (which really sucks). They whines to the CRTC to allow blanket simsubs. One thing they've done (and EVu customers are pissed) is they will simsub TSN over a US Net. TSN is a Canadian sports station (partially owned by Bell) and on weekends they'll pick up NASCAR or Golf. The rules say cable nets cannot simsub but they still do. So live sports events EVu seems to miss some good stuff (like if Fox cuts away from commercial to show a wreck)

ianp said:
my first post (sorry second) so please be nice....but correct me if I am wrong...

simsubs:
assumming you are watching "24" on FOX which is also shown on "Global"at the same time. What BEV does is replace the FOX feed with the Global feed. So if you're flipping between FOX and Global there's no difference. So what you get is the same "24" episode but with Global's CDN commercials etc.

That's why the SuperBowl in Canada is a thumbs down in Canada, unless you have SC.

correct...but if you live in the Boonies where there is no Global station, technically you shouldnt be simsubbed (see my post above this one for more info on that) :)

the west coast feed were never simmsubbed w *c but the east were
as I had a hamilton on address with my former broker, now since I "moved" to Windsor, no sims on anything. *c does not simsub on their hi def channels at all regardless of where you live, but we sure got off thread, I feel real bad for the man wjo lost his service because of his crooked broker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)