DTV HD on r-22 receiver and dish setup.. Help!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rick9141965

Oct 21, 2013
chicagi illinois
I activated a used r-22-200 receiver on my current DTV account.. The r-22 was able to get hd programming because I have a HD DVR and HD subscription.. I want to move the R-22 out to my pole barn and run it from a seperate dish.. I got a Slimline dish with the 5lnb multiswitch.. When I set receiver config on r-22 for Slimeline 5 lnb I could only get signal from satellite 110.. I called DTV they said change receiver dish type to slimline 3 lnb.. They said I dont need satellite 110 & 119.. Changed setting now i get satellite 103.. No satellite 99 or 101... Called DTV and after further checking they told me only way R-22 is going to see 99 and 101 is buy hooking it back up to dish in house with the HD DVR.. They said because r-22 is a SD receiver it communicates through the multi switch with the HD DVR and that is why it is able to get HD.. So my question is even tho I have HD DVR does that R-22 really need to be on the same dish to see the HD satellites 99 & 101 ? Or can r-22 run indepently from another dish and get HD as long as I have HD DVR and HD subscription on my account.

I haven't heard anything about the R22 needing to be on the same dish in order for it to receive HD.
I suspect that you aren't aligned properly. You need 101 to get SD programming and possibly the authorization code.

The R22 will only convert to HD with an HDMI cable plugged in, a slimline dish, AND B-bands. After all these are present you'll need to force a download on the receiver to get the HD access. I suspect you don't have B-bands on the receiver

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The R22 will only convert to HD with an HDMI cable plugged in, a slimline dish, AND B-bands. After all these are present you'll need to force a download on the receiver to get the HD access. I suspect you don't have B-bands on the receiver. As long as your account is flagged with HD access it won't matter what dish it's hooked up to

The R22 does not need to be on the same dish, it will act as an HD DVR as long as the account has HD. Read hutch1814's post.

How do you know your dish is aligned?

I have the B-band converters on both tuners.. I used a satellite finder meter... and signal on receiver shows for satellite 101... It is a slimline dish... Like I said in my original post the r-22 was showing hd and playing hd channels when hooked up to my dish on my house and that was going out to LCD tv using Componant outputs. I figure if the dish is point to 101 and getting signal it should be pretty close to sats 99 and 101.. no matter what transponder still no signal for 99 and 101

DTV tech support are the ones who told me the r-22 needs to be hooked up to the same dish as the HD dvr's in order to get HD... DTV said the receivers talk to each other????

I have the B-band converters on both tuners.. I used a satellite finder meter... and signal on receiver shows for satellite 101... It is a slimline dish... Like I said in my original post the r-22 was showing hd and playing hd channels when hooked up to my dish on my house and that was going out to LCD tv using Componant outputs. I figure if the dish is point to 101 and getting signal it should be pretty close to sats 99 and 101.. no matter what transponder still no signal for 99 and 101

DTV tech support are the ones who told me the r-22 needs to be hooked up to the same dish as the HD dvr's in order to get HD... DTV said the receivers talk to each other????

So, you have the new dish set up and are getting signals on the 101 with the R-22 but not HD channels ?
What are your Signal Strengths on the 99 and 103 ?

I'm thinking you are too far to the east with your azimuth and are picking up 99 as 103.

I am getting no signal on 99 and 101.... Im getting signal on 103 about 90 on both receivers but only from a few transponders... So maybe still a dish alignment issue??

I am getting no signal on 99 and 101.... Im getting signal on 103 about 90 on both receivers but only from a few transponders... So maybe still a dish alignment issue??

That's my guess.

Just because there are signals on the DVR that you think are from 101 does not mean they are. If you are pointed at the wrong satellite, transponders will show up as if they are from 101 even if they are not.
Which transponders show on the signal strength screen?

Its only get signal on 103 and on only 3 or so transponder 26 28 30 &32... Is that an indicator its not on the right satellite? Is there a trick to lining up all 3 sats? 99, 101, 103 ?? I've set the tilt, elevation and azimuth to what it says for my zip code

Its only get signal on 103 and on only 3 or so transponder 26 28 30 &32... Is that an indicator its not on the right satellite? Is there a trick to lining up all 3 sats? 99, 101, 103 ?? I've set the tilt, elevation and azimuth to what it says for my zip code

The numbers that the recvr give you are a starting point ... make minor adjustments from there.

Those are the transponders from 110. You are pointed at the wrong satellite.
The azimuth etc are only a starting point for dish alignment. Point the dish about ten degrees left of the azimuth setting. Set the receiver to show the signals from 101. Then slowly move the dish to the right until the 101 transponders light up. A correctly aligned dish will have most (not all) TPs in the high 90s or even 100.

Yup, too far west, not east like I originally thought.

I'll give that a shot..Wont have time until Wednesday or Thursday, but will post my finding... How does the satellite finder gauge actually work? If i have the receiver set to find 101 sat and have the Satellite finder tool hooked between the dish and receiver does it start beeping when its finds 101 or does it beep at any random satellite it finds? The finder tools is a SF-95c+ H/V 22khz if that helpds

Those TPs are the active ones on the 110 satellite. You need to move 7 degrees to the east.

I'll give that a shot..Wont have time until Wednesday or Thursday, but will post my finding... How does the satellite finder gauge actually work? If i have the receiver set to find 101 sat and have the Satellite finder tool hooked between the dish and receiver does it start beeping when its finds 101 or does it beep at any random satellite it finds? The finder tools is a SF-95c+ H/V 22khz if that helpds

It beeps at any satellite it finds. IMHO these finders are a complete waste of time. You will know when you are on 101 because there are 32 transponders and you will see signals on most of them (a few are spotbeams that may be zero in your area). If you look at the 101 signals on your existing dish you will see what to expect.
Aligning a slimline dish without a proper meter is not trivial but can be done if you are methodical about it. If you do a google search for slimline alignment you will find directions including some videos to explain how it is done.

Finanly got around to trying it again... Re-leveled the dish and used my sat meter to get to satellite and had signal in a couple minutes... Fine tuned it in about 45 minutes to sats 99, 101 and 103.... 90 plus on all signal meters... Thanks for every ones help..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts