DTV HDSTB Resolution Problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hivolts

Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
I recently purchased a DirecTV HD STB, dish, OTA Antenna and professional installation. I'm receiving all my HD programming, including locals from DirecTV. I've started with a SONY KLV-21SG2 as my first HDTV. I can't get the DTV HDSTB to hold the 4/3 Full Setting. After 30 seconds or so my TV screen pops back to a 16/9 setting. I've tried all the settings om my HDSTB and can't get 4/3 FULL setting to hold. Does anyone have any suggestions?. I've contacted DTV Customer support and have through all the settings with them, I'm sure it's my problem is related to a setting I'm overlooking.

sjam613, My TV is set to Auto, this is supposed to allow the HD STB to control the resolution. I can scroll through all the resolutions on the STB but after 30 to 40 seconds they revert to the 16:9 format.

hivolts said:
sjam613, My TV is set to Auto, this is supposed to allow the HD STB to control the resolution. I can scroll through all the resolutions on the STB but after 30 to 40 seconds they revert to the 16:9 format.
Thats you problem, turn the "Auto" setting on your tv off. Its telling your STB that this should be a 16:9 Widescreen image and is Automatically correcting itself.
;)

Smthkd, last night I tried to turn off the Auto setting on my TV, no luck. I have two choices Auto or 16:9. The 16:9 forces that resolution, the Auto is supposed to set the TV to my STB resolution.

I may have mis-read in my haste, but what brand and model of STB? What connection from the STB to the TV? Component or DVI? If DVI, does your STB even display a 4:3 without trying to convert it to 16:9 ? Have you set the TV to AUTO and the STB to NATIVE? Just a bunch of ideas because I do';t know what make, model or capabilities your STB has.

Change the auto to 16x9 and set the aspect ratio in the STB for SD programming. Knowing what STB would be helpful.

Charper1, I purchased my STB from DirecTV, the STB is DirecTV D10. I have connected the unit with component to input 3 of my Sony. My TV is set to Auto and the STB is set to Native. When I use the remote control to scan through the different resolutions they all work for the short 30 to 40 seconds and then return to the 16:9 format. DirecTV thinks it may be a problem with my STB and has scheduled a service appointment. I'm new to HDTV and this forum and want to make sure I'm not overlooking something simple.

There must be a problem with the STB, I don't see how it would hold 4:3 for 30 seconds. Normally with your television settings, you wouldn't even see the 4:3.

I am not sure what is meant by 4:3 Full Mode. In most instances, Full Mode on a 16x9 TV will stretch 4x3 to fill the screen. The best way to manage screen size is within the STB if you do not want to deal with the TV's stretch modes. Set the TV to 16x9, the output of the DVD to 1080i or 720p, whichever the case may be (not native), and set the aspect ratio for 4x3 within the STB menu. I prefer my 4x3 material to retain that aspect ratio and watch pillarboxed. I set that in the STB. In most cases, HDTV's will not allow "stretching" of a 1080i signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts