DTV Pal

pabeader

I hope my Aunt and I made a good choice when we ordered the DTVPal "TV Doohickey"

I know I will love the TVGuide EPG that is unique to the DTVPal only.

I am just scared about the choice for there parts and the design of there box.
As I have been saying it look like it has no ventilation to help with keeping it cool, maybe they added a heat-sink like the Tivax but I doubt it.

I am also concerned on the parts Dish Network picked to use.
I don't think they will provide the sensitivity needed for deep fringe/rural areas like the LG based boxes have been.

I still hope the NTIA will allow MicroProse to add their MPI-500PT* with Analog PassThru to the list of Eligible Converter Boxes.

I also don't see Zenith/Insignia releasing there analog PassThru versions any time soon until all of there current boxes have been sold.

Last edited:
Where can I buy the DTV Pal, my coupon expires July 1st. Can you buy it from Dish? Any info will be appreciated.

bumblebee8 - I know of only one online shop that is accepting coupon based orders. I have posted about it on Page 2 of this thread.
If you want a short answer here is part of my quote from that post.
FreeDTVShop.com has started accepting pre-orders today for coupon dates 6/20 and beyond...
After seeing your post I decided to add a signature with order information.
Moderators - If this Signature is not approved please remove the signature - I am only trying to help

Last edited:
pabeader I agree that most people will not want to pay much for it when it has be promoted as being free minus the sales tax.

I am not sure if stores will follow the MSRP however.

Some people must be willing to pay a lot for it
http://www.solidsignal.com/ has been accepting pre-orders for those without a coupon for $48.99 + $9.95 for shipping

I was also wondering if you have ever got any of my Private Messages?

pabeader I agree that most people will not want to pay much for it when it has be promoted as being free minus the sales tax.

I am not sure if stores will follow the MSRP however.

Some people must be willing to pay a lot for it
http://www.solidsignal.com/ has been accepting pre-orders for those without a coupon for $48.99 + $9.95 for shipping

I was also wondering if you have ever got any of my Private Messages?

I'm sorry. I can neither affirm or deny the receipt of unanswered and deleted PMs from you...

Last edited:
I got infractions and nasty PMs for same advise ! ;) at dbstalk

I think people around here have kinda got used to my sideways humor. It's unfortunate that you can't see my eyes crinkle as I smirk and chuckle about some of the stuff I post.

I am first and foremost a smart*** but my heart is usually in the roight place...

part of an earlier post by malouff:
"Having used the TVGuide vs PSIP EPG like all the other CECBs the DTVPal will get features provided by having paid to use the TVGuide:
Programming search
Search by name for the shows you want to watch"

Malouff, can you post the link to the site that shows that DTV Pal is somehow related to the TV Guide guide?

Last edited:
The TV Guide thing worries me. One thing about Echostar. If there's some way to tie a piece of hardware to a recurring fee, they will do it.

Is there any possibility that the box will at some point require payment of a fee for the TV Guide thing to keep working?

How would they activate the TV Guide or deactivate it? Is there some type of phoneline that connects to it like the satellite receivers? I thought I read in another thread where Dish Network wanted to get these units out there cheap to the mass so that they could also use them to offer pay per view movies and on demand content to bring in extra revenue.

part of an earlier post by malouff:
"Having used the TVGuide vs PSIP EPG like all the other CECBs the DTVPal will get features provided by having paid to use the TVGuide:
Programming search
Search by name for the shows you want to watch"

Malouff, can you post the link to the site that shows that DTV Pal is somehow related to the TV Guide guide?
pabeader this part of the quote makes it sound like I have used both the TVGuide and PSIP OTA EPGs - I haven't.

You are VERY correct - Dish Network makes no official references to using the TVGuide EPG.

I can NOT find any official site that is DTVPal and TVGuide are related.

Looks like it was a rummer - NOT STARTED MY ME -
I should have done better research before posting any claims.

I am apparently very wrong looks like they to will also be using PSIP data.

I have seen several reports that the DTVPal has a Electronic Program Guide (EPG)
with instant access to up to seven days of program listings and information

Will DTVPal owners be sad to find out that FCC rules require stations to send a MINIMUM of 12 hours of fully and PROPERLY populated EPG via PSIP.

However, not all stations are currently doing this - maybe a few will get up to seven days of program listings.

I am sorry to all for my confusion thank you for the information pabeader.

So the only sure thing the DTVPal has going for it is the cheap price and it adds another Analog PassThu CECB.

Because it is using a extended PSIP EPG like some other CECBs
I am thinking that the DTVPal will not perform very well as I don't think it has the CPU or Memory to gather parse
and display a complex 7-day Electronic Program Guide let alone allow searching of the PSIP data.

Other CECBs with a complex EPG look like by using this approch simply degrades the performance of the CECB
it takes away the precious Memory and CPU for decoding the ATSC signal and devotes it to showing a complex EPG.

This must be why Zenith/Insignia/MicroProse have chosen to use a SIMPLE Now/Next they are all LG based.
The Zenith and Insiginia are also reported as being better then the Artec Pro and Digital Stream also LG based but using a more Complex EPG then Zenith and Insiginia.

I wonder if the DTVPal will then be more like the RCA DTA800B EPG as DTVPal.com does say "See what’s showing on every channel "
then again it does not say how it will be displayed you may have to scroll through every channel like the other EPGs being used.

I thought the DTVPal would have been the "Holy Grail" with all of its features as others have but it is starting to look like I was wrong.

I did order from FreeDTVShop also and am not going to cancel my order.
I may be wrong about the DTVPal's performance.
We know it went though beta testers but they are not allowed to talk.

The DTVPal does however have these two features going for it.
It is cheap and it has analog passthru
It is also the only CECB with searching and reminders

I will be needing analog passthru and hate the way the philco/magnavox has implemented it.
I am just happy that there is another Analog PassThru CECB other then the Magnavox/Philco.

I also have no idea when the NTIA will allow either
the MicroProse MPI-500PT* or Zenith DTT901* to be added to the allowed list.

If I were you guys I would still take a gamble with the DTVPal and also get the MicroProse MPI-500PT*
if it is added to the allowed list before your coupon(s) expires.
- We already know how the Zenith has been performing the the MicroProse is very similar -

I will fix my previous posts about the TVGuide as I don't want to confuse others or have others order based upon this confusion.

If I am wrong please correct me.

Also what is the board command for strike through?

Last edited:
then why bother stocking them?

Here is my thinking, its a nice receiver and it has a decent price point for the consumers.

The problem from the retail side of things, there is simply no profit. From what I have been told, the cost to the dealers on these things is $39.99, plus I got to pay a few dollars to ship these from Echostar to my office.

Once I sell them for $49.99 im making like $8 on the entire deal!

If making $8 wasn't that bad, then I got to accecpt a goverment coupon, fill out the paperwork to get $40 to cover my costs?

On top of that, there is like 40 million coupons out there, and as of mid April 20 million of them have already been requested. These receivers should have been available Feb 17th 2008, and by delaying things till June I feel Echostar has missed the ball, considering the people who got their coupons in Febuary already used them since they expire in 90 days.

Yep, Echostar missed their opportunity to get in before a lot of people got their coupons. I was wanting to get their unit but my coupons expire in a few days so I will probably have to get them at Wal-Mart and pay the $10 difference and see how they work. Unfortunately the two that they sell are not the best, one an RCA that does not have as good of sensitivity from what I've read and the Magnavox having an even worse rating (some dead out of the box) although they have better sensitivity on the signals but will not stay locked on them that well and have a worse picture quality.

This is how I have heard Wal-Mart is handling there distribution of CECBs
RCA DTA800B - West of the Mississippi
Magnavox TB100MW9 - East of the Mississippi

You can also do a Search for approved local converter box retailers
Best Buy - Insignia NS-DXA1
Circuit City - Zenith DTT900
RadioShack - Digital Stream DTX9900 & (was also selling Zenith DDT900)
Target - Venture STB7766G & GE 22729
Sears & K-Mart - Magnavox TB-100MG9*
Wal-Mart - RCA DTA800B or Magnavox TB100MW9

The Magnavox G9* has PassThru but needs to be done with a menu and powered on - not very user or elderly friendly.

The GE, RCA, and Magnavox are not using the LG chip.
Magnavox is also having reports of overheating - satpro in the AVS Forum drilled vent holes in his case
GE is reported has having the worst Picture Quality - It has two EPG modes
The Venture does not have a EPG but does show program information and has audio problems.
The Digital Stream has a longer EPG of the LG chiped boxes but is also plastic and has audio problems.
The RCA has no manual channel add but groups channels in its EPG
The Insignia and Zenith are the same thing under different brand names.

If you do get a Zenith make sure the label on the box has a APRIL 2008 date
so you don't get the left channel audio problem.
s63nt2.jpg

If you would like pictures you can see my AVS Forum Thread

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)